Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boardsies doing Tour of Kildare Sunday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    Walking :eek:? What's that?

yeah, I'd forgotten how painful it is to walk! So many fixies here though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

+ you makes 12 boardsies so far. I'll be wearing my boards kit so please say hello:)
    72hundred wrote: »
    Yup I'm in the same boat! (-I'll be the ejgit in the orange jersey and on the red trek)

I might tag along with the boards group too if that's cool?

Also v v important question: Is there a student rate? I ask as I've a few friends that might come but the 45e mark is a little too high (we need to pay the 10 day licence fee aswell)

72oo

EDIT: I'd hope to do the 100k in about 3.30hrs, so I'll probably just fall off the 3hr group half way through.

yeah, I'd forgotten how painful it is to walk! So many fixies here though

Boohoo;)

I'm sure all that lovely beer eases the pain of walking though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

unionman wrote: »
    + you makes 12 boardsies so far. I'll be wearing my boards kit so please say hello:)

Will do! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi have entered. Will be heading from Norhside to Naas. Think it would be a great idea to start event together and make a decision then about splits. Have no idea on time for me but generally travel with Blorgs group so similar time perhaps?

From previous comments (Blorg?) can decide about car/ cycle down tomorrow. If I do will be able to take two bikes, riders and kit no trouble. Can PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Hi

I've met a few boardsies purely through sales of individual bike bits but not been on a spin.

Have entered 50km (honestly, not fit at all), but will be cycling down from Celbridge and back (so that adds a good few km to the total distance on the day). But if anyone's nearby and needs a ride, I'd be happy to take the jalopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Wish I had my bike here -keep havin to walk places and I don't like it! Hope you're enjoyin France
    I went to the beach today and i was surrounded by hundred of old peugeot road bikes!! Amazing!! Better than the beach cruisers, Peugeot bikes rule!
    I love it here I think I want to move back ... Maybe in a few years.
    Real road cyclists are all old over here though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Real road cyclists are all old over here though...
    Thats a little bit loaded Caroline_ie! I spend my Summers over there, a little further up the Gironde and I guess I am one of those older cyclists you refer to.:p By the way which beach do you go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

sy wrote: »
    Thats a little bit loaded Caroline_ie! I spend my Summers over there, a little further up the Gironde and I guess I am one of those older cyclists you refer to.:p By the way which beach do you go to?
    hahaha I seems that I spoke to fast again. I only saw a few cyclists who were over 65 ... ( weekdays at 9am, everyone else is working :) but loads of young commuters in town!
    I was born and raised in Bordeaux, it's my hometown I know it very well :D I am allowed to say silly things about it, everyone else isn't Bordeaux is the best city in the world.:pac:
    I went to Soulac yesterday, I should really have taken a photo of some of these classic bikes, and the surfers carrying the board on their bikes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Right folks, what's the plan for tomorrow? Is there a meeting time arranged yet?
    I'm probably going to do it, (but not if it's like the weather is right now, just hope it gets it out of its' system) and will be driving down from Dundrum - space for one or 2 if needed, so PM. Will be heading back up straight afterwards though, so if you're looking to get bbq etc you'll need to get your own way back.

What is the *actual* start time then do we know? 10 or 9:30?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I can't make it now. There was a spoke loose on my bike so I tightened it along with all the others. I managed to make a complete mess of it and buckled the whole thing. I have to bring it to a shop over the next couple of days.

Seriously pissed off. Mind you if the weather's the same tomorrow I mightn't feel so bad.

Sorry to hear that Aquinas, hope you get the bike sorted ok.

And if it is raining, think of us kindly:D
    Aquinas73 wrote: »
    I can't make it now. There was a spoke loose on my bike so I tightened it along with all the others. I managed to make a complete mess of it and buckled the whole thing. I have to bring it to a shop over the next couple of days.

Seriously pissed off. Mind you if the weather's the same tomorrow I mightn't feel so bad.

kenmc wrote: »
    Right folks, what's the plan for tomorrow? Is there a meeting time arranged yet?
    I'm probably going to do it, (but not if it's like the weather is right now, just hope it gets it out of its' system) and will be driving down from Dundrum - space for one or 2 if needed, so PM. Will be heading back up straight afterwards though, so if you're looking to get bbq etc you'll need to get your own way back.

What is the *actual* start time then do we know? 10 or 9:30?

Still not clear on that, but just assuming 9.30 in case.

Myself and el tonto are meeting around 7.30 and cycling or driving depending on the weather. Reckon on being there around 8.30 / 8.45.

Boards jerseys in evidence will allow us to group I suppose.

Fingers crossed for dry roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

With all the flooding at the moment do you reckon the event will be cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

digitalage wrote: »
    With all the flooding at the moment do you reckon the event will be cancelled?

No chance, I would imagine.

Want to wish all the participants (esp the Boardsies) all the best for tomorrow. really hope this miserable weather picks up for ye. Good luck.

well if the roads N3 are like these it could'nt go ahead,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56846220&postcount=13

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

digitalage wrote: »
    well if the roads N3 are like these it could'nt go ahead,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56846220&postcount=13
    Sure that's only a puddle :D Forecast for tomorrow is (very slightly) better I think.

It would be good for your triathlon training! Theres also alot of flooding in Kildare.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=95572

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

AndyP wrote: »
    No chance, I would imagine.

Wouldn't say no chance. Some of the roads that it goes on are prone to flooding at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Notice up on the website saying that the cycle will go ahead tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

From Tour of Kildare website: "Despite the Bad Weather The Martin Earley Tour of Kildare will go ahead as planned.
    We will check the route in the morning and if we need to alter it we will do so then.
    See you in the morning"

I got stuck doing DIY in the sister's house and only back now and have to head into town for a few pints as a mate is home from UK for the weekend...planning on getting to bed at 2am and then up around 7.45, 30 mins for brekkie and getting my gear together and on the road by 8.30 at the latest. But with my punctuality record, if I'm there in Naas by 9.15am I'm doing very well. Not the best in terms of preparations and I didn't even get a chance to put my new SPD pedals on or test them out so it's plain old runners and normal flat pedals for me.

Looking forward to it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Just want to say good luck to all of you good folks doing to T.O.K tomorry!

i'm still undecided. will set the alarm for 7, aiming to leave around 8ish or so to drive down. if it's raining before I leave, thats it, I'm going back to bed.
    Will bring snorkel and flippers otherwise, just in case

Planning to leave around 8:00 from Ranelagh, cycling, Crumlin Road and then N7 all the way- ETA 9:30am.

Going to leave the mudguards on the bike :D

Friendly skies, a bit breezy...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sure it's better than a kick in the b*****ks.

more feckin rain, and the blue skies have gone black again in Dundrum :(

blorg wrote: »
    Planning to leave around 8:00 from Ranelagh, cycling, Crumlin Road and then N7 all the way- ETA 9:30am.
    Hmmm,with that headwind, you'll be making very good progress! Don't burn yourself out!

kenmc wrote: »
    Hmmm,with that headwind, you'll be making very good progress! Don't burn yourself out!
    Headwind wasn't in the plan :( I see on met.ie it is as if someone drew that 30km/h wind arrow, carefully aligning it with the Naas Road.

• Advertisement

right, i give up, back to bed for me. every time i give it another chance and head out to get my stuff ready it starts to rain again. I just couldn't be bothered getting wet today!
    Good luck to the rest of ye though.

Advertisement