Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boardsies doing Tour of Kildare Sunday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Boo to that Ken, I'm sure it will be fine once you get down there. Rain must be very localised, none in Ranelagh. emty called so I'm going to take the easy option of a lift from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

well that was fun. I abandoned after 60k cos my brakes gave way on a hill and I had to launch into a ditch to stop myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Was'nt a bad day all told,bit mucky for the first 30km or so,nice towards the end.Blorg i think i saw you coming in as i was cycling back to my car,your one tough geezer in short sleeves and yes THE SANDALS,how did it go for you and the other boards,i could'nt wear my gear still wet from yesterdays soaking.Well done to all who did it.

Was the ride paced all the way or did the pace car move off after the food stop?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Home now. 3hrs 9mins for me.
    penexpers wrote: »
    well that was fun. I abandoned after 60k cos my brakes gave way on a hill and I had to launch into a ditch to stop myself.

Are you alright? We were wondering what had happened to you when you didn't show at the finish.
    Was the ride paced all the way or did the pace car move off after the food stop?

The pace car finally moved off a bit after the stop. That cued some crazy racing for a while, which was a lot of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Nice spin,well organised event.Pace was a bit much for me but I .really enjoyed itNice to meet some more posters,well done to all especially to those hardy souls who cycled out and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

That shower I just had was well deserved. Great organisation on the day - loads of food (too much even) - marshalls absolutely everywhere to make sure that nobody took a wrong turn.

If I'm correct, Celbridge was taken off teh course because of floods but it was still just about 100km, so they must have made a pretty quick on-the-fly decision for the new route.

el tonto wrote: »
    Are you alright? We were wondering what had happened to you when you didn't show at the finish.

Yeah I'm fine. Good thing the ditch was there or it would have been a lot more serious. I've never been happy with those brakes anyway, so I've ordered the Tektro mini-v brakes (I have cantilever braze ons). I would have let ye know sooner but I don't have anyone's mobile number from here. I was only 10km from my house so I got my girlfriend to come out and pick me up.

That was a very good time - you must have really hammered it :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Not half as much as blorg hammered it. He came in four minutes ahead of me.

Not half as much as blorg hammered it. He came in four minutes ahead of me.

Must be the weight savings of the sandals.

• Advertisement

3:05:15 for me which I think was the quickest of the Boards lot (although sounds like bunnygreen got in quicker?) Average speed overall 30.2km/h, 35.5km/h average from the point the pace car dropped off. It was a bit under the 100km as Celbridge was badly flooded; I made it 93.27km.

Tonto, Emty, Cadex and myself were keeping close to the front and were there when the pace car pulled off. I legged it after a breakaway at that point which was a bit stupid and we were caught. We were towards the front of the peloton when Tonto made the same mistake just a bit later, deciding to reel in another breakaway. (I think he claims someone yelled to close the gap.) I went after him and we were leading the peloton for a bit and then getting ahead of them into the gap. This was just coming into Robertstown and what I didn't know was that just around the corner was a hill. It wasn't terribly steep or long but I just had nothing left at that point and we were caught and dropped by the peloton.

The four of us continued along together then, picking a few more guys up as we proceeded, until the big climb of the day, which again was not very long but was certainly steep and with a lot of loose gravel. I made it to the top first and waited for a bit but decided to press on and try to catch the group just ahead of me. What followed was an extremely painful 10-15km, heart rate through the roof, where I had to go all out to try to get onto the back of them. Apparently we went through Kildare Town, honestly didn't notice I was in such a state :) Finally caught them on the Curragh, two lads from MAD MTB and one other guy. They were the perfect group for the rest of the cycle back to Naas. I don't think I did my fair share at the front with them (thanks guys!) but TBH catching them took a lot out of me.

We passed Martin Early in I think Oldtown and got back to Naas before him!*

The event was the best organised I have ever been on; the marshalling at junctions was just absolutely top-notch, all other traffic stopped and we were waved through red lights, etc. Not far off having closed roads I reckon. There was even a marshall at every major puddle!

Cycled back to Dublin with Irishmotorist and made very good time indeed, 34.4km in 0:58:47 (we had a tailwind.)

@bunnygreen- Sandals and short sleeves sounds like me all right, I had a blue top on. I would hazard a guess that I was probably the only person taking part in sandals. To be honest it was fine once we got moving but I was getting very wet and cold during the paced bit.

@penexpers- sorry to hear about that, hope you and the bike are OK. I would certainly suggest Mini-Vs myself if you are having issues with cantis, I have them on my tourer and they are great. You don't have the same modulation as you get with calipers and they are a bit "grabby" but they certainly stop the bike.

*he had a puncture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Fair play to everyone that went today. well done on the excllent times. I didn't go in the end, was having visions last night of getting stuck in floods out there!
    (Really I was just being lazy!)

blorg wrote: »
    We were towards the front of the peloton when Tonto made the same mistake just a bit later, deciding to reel in another breakaway. (I think he claims someone yelled to close the gap.) I went after him and we were leading the peloton for a bit and then getting ahead of them into the gap. This was just coming into Robertstown and what I didn't know was that just around the corner was a hill. It wasn't terribly steep or long but I just had nothing left at that point and we were caught and dropped by the peloton.

I was actually doing OK on the front trying to chase down the first breakaway. What really did it for me is when Mark Heneghan of Eurocycles went up the road. It was at that point someone shouted 'close that gap' and I stupidly tried to instead of letting someone else do the chasing. Promptly blew up on the hill after that.

The 'Muur of Kildare' was an interesting experience. Short and steep, but what made it so tricky was that the road was covered in gravel and running water.

You must have been flying with those two MAD guys. I dropped everyone in my group while steaming through the Curragh trying to catch you and didn't even catch sight of you.

Passed Martin Earley too. He was still fixing his puncture.

Only have three photos, wasn't really the sort of day that snapping away was that easy. I don't really feel like I saw any of Kildare. I think someone may have taken a shot of me just before I caught the MAD group but reckon they may only have the top of my helmet!

Anyway, first is the top of the Muur where I waited momentarily (guy in the photo is not a boardsie), second enjoying our food at the end (decent BBQed burgers were provided), third, the great man himself (with Martin Early.)

th_Martin_Early_1.jpg th_Martin_Early_2.jpg th_Martin_Early_3.jpg

I blame Tonto's antics for our getting dropped, reckon we would have kept up with the lead group otherwise :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hey, Well done to all especially the Boards lads - nice to meet more of them today. Spent most of my time with Blorg, El Tonto and Empty - thanks lads. I had a great time and second Blorg on the organisation, never saw anything like the marshalling and provisions etc were second to none. They had the motorbikes at all the turns and 'risky' points and basically looked after us really well. The stuff (burgers, and cold drinks etc.) at the end was excellent too. I thought all cyclists like tea at the end of events and this was only prob, had to actually buy some - ah no it was great!
    Anyway, the spin was great, didn't know what to expect but enjoyed the bit of speed when we were let off and the roads were mostly fine. Think the only real problem was the road up that hill which was pretty rough and had gravel etc. (probably because of the rain). Thought we might meet worse conditions but they steered us away from the worst of it (cut out Celbridge). Apart from the few heavy showers at the start it was grand. Was with a good group coming into town, but I think we were all expecting some kind of sprint finish and were building up when the end appeared kind of suddenly. Myself and the guy just in front of me nearly crashed into a van! Ah, the enthusiasm. It was great to finally meet one of my heroes (Martin of course!) afterward and we had a chat for about 15 minutes about the TdeF etc. He also very kindly posed for a photo with me. Feel guilty for not stopping and helping with his puncture now - although I reckon he's probably pretty handy! Felt OK afterward but hamstring reminding me to look after it. Did offer Blorg a lift but the legend in sandals turned it down (of course). Sorry to hear about Penexprs - a ditch is some way to stop a bike, still if you were alright...
    A great day - thanks to all involved.
    Stats for the day:
    Dist: 94.539
    Time 3:09:02
    Max: 56
    Ave: 30.0
    Elapsed? Didn't think to check the arrival time (left at 10:02 on my thing but didn't catch the end time).
    No idea where that placed me or how many were in it but it looked like a good turnout. Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Well, with penexpers in a ditch (sorry to hear about that man, hope you're OK), I get the gong for last boardsie into Naas:o

Did my 93km in just under 4 hours (3hrs 46mins). I am perfectly happy with the time, but dear oh dear, once the breakway started after Maynooth I spent the next 40 odd km's being overtaken by everybody. I just couldn't keep pace with any group or any individual riders, so found myself on me sweeney for a fair old chunk of it. Then from 60 to 80kms I hit a bit of a wall, really struggled, and confidence dipped.

On the plus side, I did well on the hills, and even managed to salvage a little dignity by passing a whole group who had earlier passed me. Then they passed me again, but on the Muur, I left them for dust. Finally I felt my legs were doing something right. From the top of the Muur all the way back I was grand, fell in with a group of lads and we shared the pulling duties back to Naas.

Getting back felt good, but I hadn't counted on being so consistently slow (avg 23kmh by days end).

Agree on the organisation, was a bit worried that being so far back the Marshalls would have all gone home, but to have them at every junction, pothole, puddle and waving us through red lights, couldn't have been better.

Burger was mighty fine too:D

Thanks to el tonto for the company and the drafting on that (hellish) ride down to Naas. And met some new boardsies, all great people, even a few lurkers (hiya Mark!). Particular kudos to itsfixed, that Mercian is one beautiful bike.

Well done everyone, great to finally have an event under my belt.

Cadex wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about Penexprs - a ditch is some way to stop a bike, still if you were alright...

Yeah it is! Was kind of proud of my quick thinking at the same time though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Really enjoyed the day today. Good to put some faces to the names. Ended up finishing right behind one the other boardies (Cadex I think? Wearing a yellow jersey) in 3:09.

Unfortunately I missed the initial split. Was hanging back after the feeding station, then caught up with unionman who wasn't sure where everyone disappeared to. Pushed on a bit and caught 72hundred I think (orange jersey on a red trek) and he said the rest of you were in the group up ahead. Pushed on again to try and catch up and ended up just a couple of hundred metres off the back, but I was on my own and didn't have the legs to bridge the gap. Eased off for a while and was joined by a local lad so we pushed on together and made good ground picking off the stragglers from the main bunch. Did about 50km with him, passed emty (I think?) as we crossed the M7, then reached a big group as we got onto the main road back into Naas so cruised in with them.

Agree with the comments on the organization. My first event so nothing to compare it with but there was plenty of food and good marshalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Boards.ie Cycling Forum - a great bunch of lads (and ladies I'm sure I'll say when I've met some!) :D

I really enjoyed that today, was great to be part of such a well organised event and I was also glad to get a glimpse of the lads at the business end of the bunch taking off like bullets when the pace car took off - very impressive stuff (including the rapid acceleration of blorg, emty and the others lads whose names I can't remember amongst the many names).

I'm very happy with my ride time of 3hrs 18mins for the course (I made it 93km too) as it smashed my target of 3:45 I set when I started building the leg back up 3 weeks ago after surgery. That said, I did benefit from resting the legs for the 20 minutes it took me to repair the double puncture I suffered after that big hill (the one where they had written 'Don't look up' on the road). When I hit the big sharp stone/small rock I went right over it and thought for a second I was a goner but stayed on and had a front blowout. Just on the bike after fixing it when I realised the back was punctured too.

The legs did stiffen up while doing that but I'd say overall I benefitted from that stop as I was really fresh for the remainder and didn't get passed by anybody from then on and reeled in loads to get back closer where I was before the puncture.

I was pure krud on the hills though - I like the rolling terrain and made up good ground on others there but lost lots on any hill over a 5% gradient. And I better admit that I got off and walked (for literally 20 seconds) on that 9% hill - maybe the punctures straight after were to teach me not to wimp out like that! The total ascent was 595m by the way.

So I think my 3:18 actual ride time hides the real extent of the gap between me and the top boardsie times above - I've a lot more than 13 minutes to go to be competing with them lads. And as emty said with some wise words - that course was a doddle in the grand scheme of things. But to be honest, I set a target for myself based on my middle/low division status and beat it so pretty damn chuffed as it's a good start and it's onwards and upwards from here.

Stats:
    Before pace car left: 26.21km in 59.5mins, avg speed 26.4 Km/h
    After pace car left: 66.73km in 2hrs18mins, avg speed 29 Km/h.
    Overall: 92.9Km, 3hrs 18mins, avg speed 28.1 Km/h
    Did the last 20km at 31.4 Km/h thanks to that lovely tailwind round the Curragh!

By the way, penexpers I'm glad to hear you're alright after that fall. That's seriously nasty to hear your brakes went....will be keeping an eye on mine from now on for sure.

Good spill technique to bail into a ditch and get out relatively unscathed - I'd say when you realised nothing was broken and everything was alright you were hoping someone had got the action on video for youtube!

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    I blame Tonto's antics for our getting dropped, reckon we would have kept up with the lead group otherwise :D

You weren't telling me to slow down:D

And that photo you have of me makes me look like I ate all the burgers.
    unionman wrote: »
    Did my 93km in just under 4 hours (3hrs 46mins).

That's a good performance considering you've never done 100km before. And you're right, the ride down the start in Naas was horrific. Into the wind the whole way. I was bloody knackered by the time we got there. I think we deserve bonus points for that.
    I'm very happy with my ride time of 3hrs 18mins for the course (I made it 93km too) as it smashed my target of 3:45 I set when I started building the leg back up 3 weeks ago after surgery.

For a fella who had surgery a few weeks ago, you were flying today. I'd hate to see how fast you are when you are fully trained up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

MadHatter wrote: »
    Pushed on a bit and caught 72hundred I think (orange jersey on a red trek) and he said the rest of you were in the group up ahead.

Yup that was me :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

unionman wrote: »

Thanks to el tonto for the company and the drafting on that (hellish) ride down to Naas. And met some new boardsies, all great people, even a few lurkers (hiya Mark!). Particular kudos to itsfixed, that Mercian is one beautiful bike.

Well done everyone, great to finally have an event under my belt.

Still lurking, Unionman - good to hear you made it round
    Made it back in one piece and completely agree with all previous comments regarding marshalling - got to meet el tonto just before final hill between kildare and naas - where I duly neglected to reconsider my gears and fell out the back door - after that decided to enjoy the spin in. Really must make a saturday or sunday spin but I tend to start way too early for company (7, 7.30am).

Forgot to give a mention to Itsfixed's bike. Nicest bike of the day for me - lovely Mercian frame with the charge plug saddle and leather tape around the handlebars.

For a fella who had surgery a few weeks ago, you were flying today. I'd hate to see how fast you are when you are fully trained up.

That's only cos you didn't see me going backwards on the hills! I just have nothing in the legs going up the hills at the moment but am very happy with the overall progress as it's showing me that progress does come with the hard work, so I'll put in some hard work on the hills when I get a chance. I g in for surgery on the 2nd leg in 2 weeks and am away both weekends, so realistically I'm looking at October before being clear to get really stuck in, but these tasters of good cycles I've had during the two ops is keeping the spirits up and I'll be raring to get stuck in on some boards weekend spins in early October.

Unionman - fair play on finishing and don't be too hard on yourself: you were on track for 4 hours for 100km and beforehand I'd say you'd take that for first time out. First tough cycle is all about completing not competing, and now you've that under the belt you're already showing signs that you're eager to improve. Next time out you'll be focusing on a target time and taking completing the course for granted - that's both a sign of progress and how you continue to progress in any sport. I beat myself up after my first 50km+ cycle cos it didn't stack up against other cyclists, but then I thought why am I comparing myself to other cyclists when I'm just starting out? Take a random cross-section of joe public out there and most will struggle to do that course in 3:46 so I'd say chalk it up as first step complete and move onwards and upwards....I'll see ya on Alpe D'Huez next summer so*?

*You can cycle if ya want, I'll take photos from the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Well done to all. Some very impressive times/performances there. I was cheering for Kildare in Croke Park:pac: Does anyone have the map/stats for the route; I would like to give it a go some day for practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

A map of the route is here.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/kildare/380363116574

But we had to bypass Celbridge due to floods so it was approx 93km yesterday.

Forgot to give a mention to Itsfixed's bike. Nicest bike of the day for me - lovely Mercian frame with the charge plug saddle and leather tape around the handlebars.

It really is a beauty.

Unionman - fair play on finishing and don't be too hard on yourself: you were on track for 4 hours for 100km and beforehand I'd say you'd take that for first time out. First tough cycle is all about completing not competing, and now you've that under the belt you're already showing signs that you're eager to improve. Next time out you'll be focusing on a target time and taking completing the course for granted - that's both a sign of progress and how you continue to progress in any sport. I beat myself up after my first 50km+ cycle cos it didn't stack up against other cyclists, but then I thought why am I comparing myself to other cyclists when I'm just starting out? Take a random cross-section of joe public out there and most will struggle to do that course in 3:46 so I'd say chalk it up as first step complete and move onwards and upwards....I'll see ya on Alpe D'Huez next summer so*?

*You can cycle if ya want, I'll take photos from the car...

Cheers Frank, I appreciate your comments; that's actually a very good assessment of what's going on in my head today. And yes, my appetite is certainly whetted for more.

I think I lost sight of what I set out to do yesterday when all those riders were passing me. So much so that when I actually accomplished what I set out to do it took a few hours to sink in.

I was very impressed with how you did yesterday, surgery or not, you were bloomin' fast man. I'll be chasing your tyre in Wicklow next June if I can keep up:D

As for Alpe D'Huez next summer...take those photos from the chest up, Focus and Wiggle tell me that, despite my numerous letters, the carbon fibre pot belly still won't be in stock next year;)

• Advertisement

Route and elevation (click for full size: )

th_Tour_of_Kildare_2008_Route.png
    th_Tour_of_Kildare_2008_Elevation.png

No really massive climbs but not exactly flat either!

Advertisement