Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant stress

• 07-08-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this can go somewhere else.

I'm about to go into my 4th of college and have been getting the grant for the last 3 years. Every summer I have been asked to print out my exam results and forward them to my local Council office and it's only then that I get the letter confirming my grant for the next year.

Last Autumn semester I went to Glasgow on Erasmus. I wasn't told that I had to forward my exam results to my college so I was missing a grade. I since forwarded my grades (in June) but there was no change. In the last few days I've been bumped from one place to another as people pass the blame for the missing grade on different people. It has finally gone to the head of my course who said that for 3 of the Erasmus modules I have a 'pass' grade but for my fourth it says 'satisfactory' which he isn't happy with he won't update my grades until he gets a reply from Glasgow explaining the satisfactory grade. He said he emailed someone last week but got no reply.

I took matters into my own hands and emailed my adviser in Glasgow who was involved in the particular class. I have explained my situation and asked him to emailed the head of my course ASAP or get the teacher of the class in Glasgow to email the head of my course.

Is there a deadline for grant applications? I rely extremely heavily on my grant and don't know what I'll do if I don't get it. Is there anything else I can do so I can apply now? Any advice?

Comments

Hey ergonomics,

To look at similar cases... Councils and VECs, for people doing repeats, sometimes allow people to submit the documentation/forms completed and to keep your application 'on hold' until such time as the result are in, even though this is after the application end-date. So really the best thing you can do is to relay the problems you're having with your local Council, so that you're not getting stressed yourself about this.

It's really the only way to get rid of any fears you'll be having!

The deadline for appications is the 29th of August, but Councils/VECs are normally very lenient when it comes to people just renewing their grant.

Hope it goes well.
    ergonomics wrote: »
    Sorry if this can go somewhere else.

I'm about to go into my 4th of college and have been getting the grant for the last 3 years. Every summer I have been asked to print out my exam results and forward them to my local Council office and it's only then that I get the letter confirming my grant for the next year.

Last Autumn semester I went to Glasgow on Erasmus. I wasn't told that I had to forward my exam results to my college so I was missing a grade. I since forwarded my grades (in June) but there was no change. In the last few days I've been bumped from one place to another as people pass the blame for the missing grade on different people. It has finally gone to the head of my course who said that for 3 of the Erasmus modules I have a 'pass' grade but for my fourth it says 'satisfactory' which he isn't happy with he won't update my grades until he gets a reply from Glasgow explaining the satisfactory grade. He said he emailed someone last week but got no reply.

I took matters into my own hands and emailed my adviser in Glasgow who was involved in the particular class. I have explained my situation and asked him to emailed the head of my course ASAP or get the teacher of the class in Glasgow to email the head of my course.

Is there a deadline for grant applications? I rely extremely heavily on my grant and don't know what I'll do if I don't get it. Is there anything else I can do so I can apply now? Any advice?

Advertisement