Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallow rescue

Options
  • 07-08-2008 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

There was a swallow( or swift) nest on the gable end of my house. I knew there were chicks init because of the noise & the mess, but who cares anything for any animal:D
    Anyway, with the heavy rain the nest has fallen.Yesterday morning on my way to the car there was a lot of noise & I think it was the mother/farther bird warning me off, so theres teh nest on the ground, well actullly on a pile of timber, nest splated into 2 & I was thinking no way the babies survived.
    To my surprise there was a baby,I'd say nearly ready to fly sitting on the timber.
    I ran back into the house & got a box so that he'd be somewhere safe. I decided to leave him where the nest had fallen, incase the mom would come back & feed him.
    I got home yesterday evening & threw a few slugs into him, hoping he might eat them & shocked I found anothter little babe on the garden fence , so I collect him aswell & put him with his brother & basically left them alone. they're in a safe enough spot, my dogs are close by in their pens so I dont think a cat/fox would come close enought to try eat them.

I need to know,
    Will the parents continue to feed them?
    If not, how can I feed them, keep them alive?

Any advice on my venture to wilife recue would be very welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

The best you can do for them is to leave them alone. You could try putting them on an upstairs window sill, this would keep cats away provided you have a two storey house. otherwise you can't exactly stand guard over them.

They are most likely House Martins and you will not be able to feed them. Their parents are feeding them flies and insects. They won't eat slugs for you.
    Best of luck with them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh I would say leave them if there was a window sill at the same spot that would be a good idea. Deffo won't eat slugs the parents feed them small flies etc and kind of mush it up although older ones probably get fed whole flies.

Have swallows nesting here their first nest fell down luckily no babies in it.
    They put so much hard work into raising the babies so fingers crossed your guys make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Thanks guys,
    No way of putting them back up the nest was right in the apex of the roof & there is only a downstairs window. I live in a dormer.
    I've not touched them since I put them in the box, just had a quick peek in the evening to see if they're alive.
    So far so good, i cant tell if the parents are back but there are alot of adult birds around, so hopefully.
    Thanks for the help, tonights peek might be accompanied by some swatted flies lol

Advertisement