Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BROADBAND IN Waterford

• 07-08-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

hi lads,

I know technically this probably should be in broadband forum so if not allowed here, please feel free to move.

I'm moving down to Waterford in sept.

I'm just enquiring whats the best BB in the area.
    -> it has to be mobile BB - 3 , vodafone , o2 or any other BB that you don't need a phone line for.

I'm thinking about 3, it's piss poor compared to eircom (which i have at the moment) in my area. speeds are non exisiting on it at times

Is it any good in Wd? - is it really really slow or is it an okay spped to basically browse and maybe a bit of Youtube. no major downloading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

O2 is good speed, I've used and can vouch for it. Seems to be steady at around 512k-ish.

You can get NTL (UPC) up to 20mb without a phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

KingLoser wrote: »
    O2 is good speed, I've used and can vouch for it. Seems to be steady at around 512k-ish.

You can get NTL (UPC) up to 20mb without a phone line.
    thanks for quick reply.... How much is o2 of top of your head..

bundling the NTL with cable might work out pretty good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ByrdsFan

looder wrote: »
    thanks for quick reply.... How much is o2 of top of your head..

bundling the NTL with cable might work out pretty good value

o2 bb is 19.99 a month, with a 10gb limit per month.

NTL for 3mb bb is 20.00 euro per month, the 10mb service is 30.00 & the 2mb service is 40mb per month. All of these offers have free installation.

I have neither myself, but from what ive been hearing off pretty much everybody is that NTL is the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

ByrdsFan wrote: »
    o2 bb is 19.99 a month, with a 10gb limit per month.

NTL for 3mb bb is 20.00 euro per month, the 10mb service is 30.00 & the 2mb service is 40mb per month. All of these offers have free installation.

I have neither myself, but from what ive been hearing off pretty much everybody is that NTL is the way forward.

Can vouch for NTL BB, we have it and find it excellent - there were a few glitches when it was first rolled out, but it's great now. Would go for NTL TBH, seems more reliable and consistent than mobile provider services which can sometimes run a little slow (IMO).

i heard the Customer service is shocking though, if anything does go wrong.

it works out about 40 per month for BB and TV - which is pretty good value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Go NTL it's great and it's only every few months you get a problem which only takes a day or two to fix... Can't really fault them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Agree with the above poster.NTL are very good or UPC as they are now called.I think my connection is a 12mb one.Cause of what I do a high speed connection is preferable and I find UPC to be the best I have tried and no phone line needed.I also heard a rumour a while back that it might be increasing to 100mb over the next year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im on 20mb NTL and its really good saying that though the last few days its dipped down a bit, they could be working on something?

but yea NTL is probably the best way to go id say as dan said you cant really fault them..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Where abouts in Waterford are you thinking of moving to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

If you are in the heart of the city you can get the digiweb metro (I think) package. This is usually the best value if you can go for it.

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    Where abouts in Waterford are you thinking of moving to ?
    moving out to Cork Road - just beside waterford crystal sports centre - back to college so moving down this year, can't think of the name of the estate - it's not the usual student estates though i.e templers/lismore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah you can't go wrong with UPC, they offer the best widely available BB packages in the country. Alot people in the past have been highly critical of NTL/UPC ( including myself ) . But I have to give them credit they really have pulled the finger out in the last few months.

BTW, if you are into gaming check out www.witgs.co.cc, I am trying to get a Gaming Soc set up with the college :) . Spread the word to anyone you think may be interested !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

I am using the vodafone modem, and have no probs with it, and i am out in the country, i had eircom and it was bad, could barely get any speed on it, but with vodafone i get up to 3.2mb speed and its only €30 a month

rohe wrote: »
    I am using the vodafone modem, and have no probs with it, and i am out in the country, i had eircom and it was bad, could barely get any speed on it, but with vodafone i get up to 3.2mb speed and its only €30 a month

The only thing is, is that the speed on those mobile devices depends entirely on how many people are connected to your node and how far away you are from it afaik. So while it may be good for someone it may not work well for someone else in a different area.

The only thing is, is that the speed on those mobile devices depends entirely on how many people are connected to your node and how far away you are from it afaik. So while it may be good for someone it may not work well for someone else in a different area.

This is entirely true as i found out to my dismay from the technicians of the 3 mobile broadband co-operation. The is indeed a central node to certain regions where all users get their allocated amount of signal from. These nodes are susceptible to getting over loaded with requests from users and can subsequently shut down due to over-use.

I currently am using 3's broadband( i have it at home her in carlow for the summer) and did for a time last year down in waterford. When i was down in Waterford i didn't find it very appealing.The reception was sluggish. Download limit is a restriction and download speeds were not great.

If i was you i would go for the UPC 12mb package. I don't know the exact price per month off hand but if you wait closer to the time that college starts then UPC will have their broadband on offer in some sort of student deal.They pretty much use this market strategy every year as they know their target market in waterford.

UPC do a student deal ?? T was not aware of that. Currently they do not offer a 12 Mb service. They used to, but it was upgraded to 20 Mb. If you are still getting 12 then reboot your modem and hopefully you should get the upgrade.

UPC do a student deal ?? T was not aware of that. Currently they do not offer a 12 Mb service. They used to, but it was upgraded to 20 Mb. If you are still getting 12 then reboot your modem and hopefully you should get the upgrade.

Sorry man but what i meant by the student deal was the one that usually comes about september time like the one last year where you could get digital and broadband for 9.99 the first 6 months and then 40 euro a month after.. I think it was a price like that. Not sure. There is usually always a deal released around september.

Nah im back in carlow at the moment. When i left i had 12mb but i don't know what its at now. I'll see when i get back down. I might sign up for an better deal...

Apologies for the confusion.

Advertisement