Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

introduction to massage

Options
  • 07-08-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi i was thonking about doing into to massage as an elective. Was wondering do any of ye have any experience of it? I didnt study automany and was wondering is there much automany to study? Also is it an easy elective to get a good grade in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

You don't need to know anatomy. There's a 50% essay which is simple enough but easier if you're coming from some sort of science background, and unless things have changed the end exam which is a practical is a piss-take no matter what course you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭christinadublin

I'm a holistic therapist and I studied at Senior College Dun Laoghaire. I don't have any knowledge of UCD's courses, but for anyone serious about stuying massage I would highly recommend SCD. And if you aren't sure you'd like the course, they do a part-time evening course which starts in September.

There is a fair bit of anatomy to study but you do not need any previous experience of studying it or biology. It's not too difficult as long as you're willing to put in the work and it can be very rewarding. The final exam is both practical and theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Eh that module is only an intro as part of Physiotherapy, it's not a full on course.

Also Áine that course is vastly oversubscribed every year just to warn you. The chances of getting in are quite slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 katem

whats the course code for intro to massage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

ainebord wrote: »
    Hi i was thonking about doing into to massage as an elective. Was wondering do any of ye have any experience of it? I didnt study automany and was wondering is there much automany to study? Also is it an easy elective to get a good grade in?

Ridiculously easy elective. The theory stuff is useless you can read over it in about 2 hours i.e entire course. The practical stuff go to 3 or 4 then don't bother, its mostly filled with physio heads etc., with a couple from sports managment. The practicals are fun but if do it with a friend its kinda awkward having to ask someone new to be your partner everyweek, oh yeah its tops off wether its boys or girls just incase your bashful.

Final exam is 1 from 4 possible essays in 30 mins. PM me if you want them I have them typed and a 10 minute practical on someone demonstrating the strokes you learnt. BTW no automany:eek: or anatomy for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Eh that module is only an intro as part of Physiotherapy, it's not a full on course.

Also Áine that course is vastly oversubscribed every year just to warn you. The chances of getting in are quite slim.

Steph what drugs have the rads given you. Its an elective. A for yours truely. There are places available but be quick, failing that go to program board and plead beg failing that go to 1st lecture then talk to Course Co-ordinator and give some spiel that you are interested in massage as a sports recovery tool or that your doing physiology in science and are interested in the theory parts of this course supplementing your knowledge of how systems work.

Advertisement