Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the best car insurance company?

Options
  • 07-08-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hello.
    I want to buy a car for few months so i start looking cheapest and good insurance company .What is your recommendation?I have 10 years full EU drive licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I'd try the Motor forum, I doubt you'll find much information in the Sligo forum. And Takola and Xiney just love locking threads like this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Thread moved from the Sligo forum

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Thank You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Well one company to avoid, Hibernian...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Darragh29 wrote: »

With a sizeable portion of this country insured with them I think that statement needs qualification. They can't be that bad.

My own personal experience with them is that I've had a claim in with them in the past & they paid up very quickly. I've also arranged temporary additional vehicle cover at short notice & outside weekend hours, so they have been very accommodating to me.
    My father in law (to be) had a stone "bullet hole" type chip in his windscreen. Because he opted to go for the option of getting chip repaired as opposed to getting the windscreen replaced. Hibernian sent him out a gift voucher for choosing this option as a thank you for not claiming for a new windscreen. (He didn't know this was going to happen).

How can you say fairer than that?

OK they are changing how they are doing business in this company (that's probably what you are alluding to) but this is exactly what the competition are doing. To stay competitive things have to change. To stay in business you have to look for efficiencies, what about the sizeable work force that will remain working in Hibernian? Why should they suffer too? By avoiding Hibernian you'll force them to make further cuts, passing business on to other companies with no base here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Depends on your age, sex, driving license, and the car to be insured. Some companies will target young or inexperienced drivers, some target women. Your best bet is to call Axa, Hibernian, Quinn Direct, Allianz, FBD, Eagle Star and a couple of brokers like The AA and you will see a pattern as to who is cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Depends on your age, sex, driving license, and the car to be insured. Some companies will target young or inexperienced drivers, some target women. Your best bet is to call Axa, Hibernian, Quinn Direct, Allianz, FBD, Eagle Star and a couple of brokers like The AA and you will see a pattern as to who is cheapest.

Exactly. It is a very subjective thing and will turn on your personal circumstances. Shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why? I've just moved to Hibernian, they were far cheaper for the same cover than anyone else.

My friends have problem with Hibernian so Im sure that I dont take this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Yeah avoid hibernian

• Advertisement

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Yeah avoid hibernian
    Anyone going to tell us why??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It depends hugely on a lot of factors. There's no universal "best insurer".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

dunno who's best at the moment as it always changes but I got mine trough a broker a few yrs back and haven't got a cheap quote from anyone else since including directly with the insurance comps.

google Frank Glennon Insurance, their based in Charlemont st. Dublin i think - they put in a lot of extras for the same price as basic elsewhere - also used to be with Pat Britton in Donegal when I was younger and they were much cheaper then anyone else at the time.

My friends dont get money from his insurance (his car suppose to go to scrap) and have only destroyed 2 doors not too much but cost of repair is bigger like cost of car.So in my opinion he shud get at least price his car from this year.That why I dont take Hibernian.

Axa want 1400€ for 1.4 VV Bora so its no so cheap.Ill try another one or broker when Ill find time.

With a sizeable portion of this country insured with them I think that statement needs qualification. They can't be that bad.

My own personal experience with them is that I've had a claim in with them in the past & they paid up very quickly. I've also arranged temporary additional vehicle cover at short notice & outside weekend hours, so they have been very accommodating to me.
    My father in law (to be) had a stone "bullet hole" type chip in his windscreen. Because he opted to go for the option of getting chip repaired as opposed to getting the windscreen replaced. Hibernian sent him out a gift voucher for choosing this option as a thank you for not claiming for a new windscreen. (He didn't know this was going to happen).

How can you say fairer than that?

OK they are changing how they are doing business in this company (that's probably what you are alluding to) but this is exactly what the competition are doing. To stay competitive things have to change. To stay in business you have to look for efficiencies, what about the sizeable work force that will remain working in Hibernian? Why should they suffer too? By avoiding Hibernian you'll force them to make further cuts, passing business on to other companies with no base here in Ireland.

Fair enough... Well first of all, I'm Irish and I'd prefer to give my hard earned money to a company that supports the country it is trading in by sustaining employment, etc. I have no affinity with India and I wouldn't be paying money to a company that displaces a job in Ireland to somewhere in India.

Anyway, with that said, I don't know what age you are but I'm of that age where I remember what it was like a few years ago when young male drivers could not get insurance or a quote because Hibernian being the domoinant market player put in place a policy where no male driver could get a quote-full stop. Then bowing to pressure, they introduced a wooden headed scheme called "Ignition" which was an absolute joke in my opinion if the matter of young people needing car insurance was not so serious.

I remember the frustration of calling Hibernian not so long ago and looking for a quote only to have the phone call terminated because I didn't fit into the end of the market that they were cherry picking and I won't forget that feeling in a hurry. I wouldn't give them a penny of my money for the two reasons set out above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

If your looking for cheep ... Hibernan is your man. If your looking for decent service, and the possiblilty of settling a claim without you having to bang your head against a brick wall time and time again ...dont touch them.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Why? I've just moved to Hibernian, they were far cheaper for the same cover than anyone else.

Cheaper isn't always the best, as Basil Fawlty would tell you! I just had my own experiences with them a few years ago with being refused cover because Hibernian were in the process of carving up the market and cherry picking female drivers. I didn't have a problem with this in itself, only insofar as they refused point blank to quote any male drivers at or under a certain age. Then you get your mother to ring them and get you named on a policy and no problem whatsoever. The insanity of this situation sticks in my head now years afterwards, I was driving the same car the same mileage and was the same risk, only if the paperwork was in my name, I'd never have been able to drive, or if the paperwork was in my mothers name, no problem. Typically Irish, "whatever you're having yourself, nod nod, wink wink, just sign here and it'll be grand" Bullsh*t... I swore when I was able to get my own policy I'd never give Hibernian a red cent and I've managed to keep true to that for approximately ten years now...

Fair enough... Well first of all, I'm Irish and I'd prefer to give my hard earned money to a company that supports the country it is trading in by sustaining employment, etc. I have no affinity with India and I wouldn't be paying money to a company that displaces a job in Ireland to somewhere in India.
    This means absolutely nothing to me, Indians are just as entitled to jobs as Irish people, in my book.
    Cheaper isn't always the best, as Basil Fawlty would tell you! I just had my own experiences with them a few years ago with being refused cover because Hibernian were in the process of carving up the market and cherry picking female drivers. I didn't have a problem with this in itself, only insofar as they refused point blank to quote any male drivers at or under a certain age. Then you get your mother to ring them and get you named on a policy and no problem whatsoever. The insanity of this situation sticks in my head now years afterwards, I was driving the same car the same mileage and was the same risk, only if the paperwork was in my name, I'd never have been able to drive, or if the paperwork was in my mothers name, no problem. Typically Irish, "whatever you're having yourself, nod nod, wink wink, just sign here and it'll be grand" Bullsh*t... I swore when I was able to get my own policy I'd never give Hibernian a red cent and I've managed to keep true to that for approximately ten years now...
    So I shouldn't use Hibernian because they wouldn't quote you? You make me laugh, Darragh, you really do.:D

This means absolutely nothing to me, Indians are just as entitled to jobs as Irish people, in my book.

So I shouldn't use Hibernian because they wouldn't quote you? You make me laugh, Darragh, you really do.:D

I just have this inordinate hang up about fair play. Of course people in India are as entitled to employment. I'd rather keep the money in the economy, as there appears to be fu*k all of it around at the moment!

I just have this inordinate hang up about fair play.
    Me too, Darragh. I paid Hibernian €470 fully comp on a new Subaru Forester 2.5XT auto with protected bonus & open driving. Sounds like fair play to me.:)

• Advertisement

Me too, Darragh. I paid Hibernian €470 fully comp on a new Subaru Forester 2.5XT auto with protected bonus & open driving. Sounds like fair play to me.:)

Yeah, not a bad quote. But if you had a Micra a few years ago and were a certain age and a certain gender, they wouldn't have quoted you at all. There's a bit of a Jim Larkin in me, hence why I wouldn't give my money to a company that I saw put it's foot to the neck of one part of the population while screaming from the rooftops how competitive it was for other sections of the population. If we all signed up to this type of philosophy and followed it to it's logical conclusion, we'd be executing people when they reached 65.

Yeah, not a bad quote. But if you had a Micra a few years ago and were a certain age and a certain gender, they wouldn't have quoted you at all. There's a bit of a Jim Larkin in me, hence why I wouldn't give my money to a company that I saw put it's foot to the neck of one part of the population while screaming from the rooftops how competitive it was for other sections of the population. If we all signed up to this type of philosophy and followed it to it's logical conclusion, we'd be executing people when they reached 65.
    You personalise these things, Darragh. How do you know the person in Hibernian who decided to persecute you way back when is not now working for FBD?:D

You personalise these things, Darragh. How do you know the person in Hibernian who decided to persecute you way back when is not now working for FBD?:D

It wasn't a personal thing! I had no issue with the "person" who I was dealing with. There might not have even been a "person" if I got this message through their online application system. It goes without saying that my issue is not with the person or representative, it is with company policy adopted by Hibernian. It wasn't the messenger I had the issue with, I don't know where you got that from! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It wasn't a personal thing! I had no issue with the "person" who I was dealing with. There might not have even been a "person" if I got this message through their online application system. It goes without saying that my issue is not with the person or representative, it is with company policy adopted by Hibernian. It wasn't the messenger I had the issue with, I don't know where you got that from! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Company policy at Hibernian was decided by a person! Companies are not abstract entities, they are made up of people. Or is it the name 'Hibernian' that you have the problem with?

Company policy at Hibernian was decided by a person! Companies are not abstract entities, they are made up of people. Or is it the name 'Hibernian' that you have the problem with?

Here's the kernel of it for me... The person/people/board of people/whoever employed by Hibernian, decided that my money was not good enough for the company that they were employed by. Now, do you seriously expect me to give them my money now, because I have moved into an age catagory that they are not hostile towards??? You should play the ball and not the man my friend!

Here's the kernel of it for me... The person/people/board of people/whoever employed by Hibernian, decided that my money was not good enough for the company that they were employed by. Now, do you seriously expect me to give them my money now, because I have moved into an age catagory that they are not hostile towards??? You should play the ball and not the man my friend!
    You quite possibly are giving them money - I can only assume that senior staff are not embedded in one insurance company for life. In any case, if boycotting Hibernian for all eternity makes you feel better than you go for it - personally, i'll take the best quote every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

personally, i'll take the best quote every time.

Really? I've heard enough horror stories about Quinn that I don't even ask them for a quote.

You quite possibly are giving them money - I can only assume that senior staff are not embedded in one insurance company for life. In any case, if boycotting Hibernian for all eternity makes you feel better than you go for it - personally, i'll take the best quote every time.

Grand, I don't agree with your decision, but I'll defend to the death your right to make it!

Jasus I felt great the other day when my health insurance came up for renewal (I was with VIVAS Health until now), and I decided not to renew it because they have been bought out by Hibernian. You see these things are all relative. There was 450 odd Euro in health insurance premium lost by Hibernian, multiply that by 20 years over my lifetime of minimum health insurable, there's 10,000 odd Euro they won't be getting. Throw in the motor insurance I would have got through them if they had been prepared to take my money, that would have been another 10,000-15,000 Euro over the last ten-15 odd years. We're up to between 20K-30K, all because they wouldn't give me a policy of my own when I was already driving as a named driver on a Hibernian policy.

• Advertisement

Grand, I don't agree with your decision, but I'll defend to the death your right to make it!
    And I yours.:)

Advertisement