Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Garda

• 07-08-2008 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm from just outside Belfast, and would love to become a gard, nothing against the PSNI, i was gonna move south anyway. So does this affect my chances of becoming a garda?

I know the education system is different, i don't have the leaving cert, but i have been to University and have obtained an Associate Bachelors degree.

I've signed up to publicjobs for the email, but i was wondering if i am wasting my time... any thoughts?
    Anybody know of gardaí from north the border?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

de nord? wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm from just outside Belfast, and would love to become a gard, nothing against the PSNI, i was gonna move south anyway. So does this affect my chances of becoming a garda?

I know the education system is different, i don't have the leaving cert, but i have been to University and have obtained an Associate Bachelors degree.

I've signed up to publicjobs for the email, but i was wondering if i am wasting my time... any thoughts?

thanks in advance

I don't know much about this, but I do know loads of people on Boards, who were from the north and got the guards or in the process. I think if you are successful at the interview, it takes a little bit longer to get the results as they check your school results if you are from outside the republic and it takes longer.
    But yeah, there's nothing stopping you applying, ring HQ tho, and see what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 de nord?

Thanks for the info Murphy, I'll give them a call.

Cheers again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Hi all,

thanks in advance

I couldn't see a problem with it myself either as Murphy (cork) says the process will take longer but you could also give the public appointents service a ring and ask for the Garda recruitment section and they should be able to help you and advise you what to do!

best of luck with it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

Hi all,

thanks in advance

Hiya mate,
    I am also from the north and am in the process of the recruitment. the application process is the exact same but as far as i am aware the qualifications that they are looking for is a Grade C or above in English, Maths and whatever language you done at school (French/German/Spanish/Italian/Irish) at GCSE Level. it will get a bit frustrating the way that you have to wait to get your results recognised and it may hopld you back a good while but i am sure the wait will pay off at the end of the day when you get that call of acceptance......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Hiya mate,
    I am also from the north and am in the process of the recruitment. the application process is the exact same but as far as i am aware the qualifications that they are looking for is a Grade C or above in English, Maths and whatever language you done at school (French/German/Spanish/Italian/Irish) at GCSE Level. it will get a bit frustrating the way that you have to wait to get your results recognised and it may hopld you back a good while but i am sure the wait will pay off at the end of the day when you get that call of acceptance......

Hey cathal did you get anyword yet were your at?? you did pass the interview right??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

I'm from 'de nord' and i got in!
    I had to send my qualification certs to address at www.nqai.ie/ in dublin where they evaluated my gcses and a-levels etc to see if they were equivilant, they forwarded them on to dept of justice.

It does take a bit longer, i did pretty well in the apt test, did my interview 2/3 months later and was expecting to be in very quick, but was seriously delayed waiting on education results... but i'm happy now! Well worth the wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 de nord?

Thanks for the help all,
    much appreciated!

Advertisement