Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone still playing?

• 07-08-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I jumped back into this game over the long weekend and gave it about 20 hours. Despite all its flaws I'm loving even more than when i first played it.

Although initially annoying I think the levelling system is good. It means I don't spend ages cutting through enemies that are way below my level, there is a challenge in every dugeon I visit. On the downside I rarely bother checking all the chests for treasure since i can guess how much gold will be in it based on my level, there'll never be some uber-weapon. But this actually *reduces* the amount of wasted time hunting down every corner of a dungeon so maybe not all bad.

I haven't decided on the fast travel. I end up doing less exploring but still have to do a bit when i need to visit an area I haven't discovered yet. Fast travel is handy for quick trip back for an item you forgot to buy/trade.

Combat in Oblivion has massively improved over Morrowind.

Can't think of much more...

So who is still playing? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

Yea, I'm still playing. Had the game on the PC now since it was released and I'm still playing. :)

I installed both OOO and nGCD to shake things up a bit. I'm loving both mods, and I get that suspense back that I'm never sure what I'm going to meet in a cave.

My current charcter is a breton, atronarch warrior. Working wonders so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Well i'm on the 360 so can't use mods.

What do OOO and nGCD do for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

nGCD removes the need to apply attributes as you level up. Instead, you gain attributes as your skills increase. It means you don't have to worry about 'power levelling' any more and are free to play the game without trying to control which skills level to get that +5 increase each time.

OOO is much more diverse, it changes the balance of the game, radically. The world no longer revolves around you so it's quite possible to run into trolls and land dreughs at level 1 (both of which I've had the misfortune to do). It also adds new weapons, new creatures, and some new quest lines to the mix whilst modifiying a lot of the existing caves to make them more challenging or to add treasure.

I don't think I'd still be playing it if it weren't for the mods to be honest. The ones I have are all quite suble (apart from OOO) but they do keep the game fresh. I suppose I could go out and buy Shivering Isles, but I figure why spend money when there is a lot of player made content out there for free.

Of course, for you 360 players I guess that's not much help, but the game really stands on it's own whatever platform you play on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I bought this for the ps3 , 2 weeks ago and i CAN'T stop playing it , Its so addictive , I have found myself staying up until 4 in the morning then getting up at 9/10 to play it. The games just sucks you in , I haven't done much of the main story but a lot of the sub quest. I think i might have to give the game away before i get back to college.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yup, it's a complete bitch of a game for taking over your life. The main story was one of the last things I did, I kinda just forgot about it. If I were you I'd do the fighters guild and mages guild quests first. The other two guilds (don't want spoil it for ya) are much better.

• Advertisement

I've done the mages guild , well to the extent that i have my mages staff :D
    I've done loads and loads of the sub quests tho , I'm using a website to help me along with some of the quests , I also did the thieves guild right to the end and got the
    grey fox mask

sorry this is the website that i use http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The thieves guild is great. Have you done the dark brother hood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

great life stealer alright, i've never played any of the fallout games but looking forward to 3, if the world is as entertaining as the elder scrolls series then they'll be on to a winner

Vegeta wrote: »
    great life stealer alright, i've never played any of the fallout games but looking forward to 3, if the world is as entertaining as the elder scrolls series then they'll be on to a winner

Way over my head sorry , what you mean ? Im playing oblivion elder scrolls for ps3 , I presume thats what were talking about ? :D

yeah life as a stealer sure is good the added bonus you get at the end is great , nearly finished in the mages guild now , just finihed the quest where i got the
    robe of conjurer

Playing it now :D

I'm afraid to play the dark brother hood , how does it affect your character :( , im a scarety cat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I haven't played it on PC in a while but I stumbled across this the other day:
    http://www.poopmods.com/

A one stop shop for a whole plethora of mods. Once they release that I think I'll install and start a new game. In fact, with that amount of mods it will be like a whole new experience I expect - looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sarge wrote: »
    Way over my head sorry , what you mean ? Im playing oblivion elder scrolls for ps3 , I presume thats what were talking about ? :D

The company who develop The Elder Scrolls (TES for short) series are making a game called Fallout 3 (coming to PC, 360 and PS3) and as I have never played any of the fallout series I am hoping they take a lot of the good parts of TES and put them in. The vast sprawling environments for example

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html

Clear as mud??

Vegeta wrote: »
    The company who develop The Elder Scrolls (TES for short) series are making a game called Fallout 3 (coming to PC, 360 and PS3) and as I have never played any of the fallout series I am hoping they take a lot of the good parts of TES and put them in. The vast sprawling environments for example

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html

Clear as mud??

yeah cool :D , so i started by attempt to reach the top of the dark brother guild :D , I feel slighly afraid my character will turn on me :( , suppose its not a s bad as been the grey fox :D , god i feel 12 again lol

art wrote: »
    I haven't played it on PC in a while but I stumbled across this the other day:
    http://www.poopmods.com/

A one stop shop for a whole plethora of mods. Once they release that I think I'll install and start a new game. In fact, with that amount of mods it will be like a whole new experience I expect - looking forward to it.
    Holy shít, that's a lot of mods. I think it's time to install oblivion again and kiss my life away.

Holy shít, that's a lot of mods. I think it's time to install oblivion again and kiss my life away.

It's unreal isn't it?

It's available now as a torrent so going to give a try at downloading it, though at 3.37GB probably take a few weeks !!

art wrote: »
    It's unreal isn't it?

It's available now as a torrent so going to give a try at downloading it, though at 3.37GB probably take a few weeks !!
    Do you know if it's up on rapidshare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I restarted Oblivion playing as a wizard.

It's unreal.

Do you know if it's up on rapidshare?

It mentions on the website that they are looking to put up a direct download link but no word yet of a rapidshare link that I'm aware of. The torrent came down fairly quickly though yesterday, I was getting steady download speeds of around 200kbps so it just took a few hours to get everything.

Yep,
    I'm still playing. I tend to leave in for periods and then play it religiously for hundreds of hours.

Best game I've ever played (I'm assuming you all know that I'm talking about Oblivion!) :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah i actually haven't played in a month or two since i posted but as soon as i get a free weekend i'll be investing another 40-50 hours into it.

It really isn't the type of game you can play for an hour or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement