Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manhole in back garden

Options
  • 07-08-2008 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey,

looking at a house to buy. One funny thing about it is there's a manhole in the grass in the back garden. It's round, with a heavy metal lid. Didn't check if there's anything written on it. Presuming it's the estate's sewage system.

Not sure what I'm asking about it though :) Why would they have needed to put a manhole in the back garden?

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

i have the same. I also don't understand why it couldn't have been placed on the public path on the opposite side of the wall. I have mine covered over with chips to hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I know from some of my friends houses they can be badly placed, ie in the middle of the grass, but in my house its just in from the side gate on a path so its not very noticible, on my road theres one in every garden and yes it is the sewage pipe.

There may have been regualtions changed for newer properties to move the pipe further away from the house itself, hence ending up in the middle of the grass, my house is 35 y.o., whereas my friends houses are all newer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

We've one in our backgarden. It's covered with a pile of stones and we have dug a flowerbed around it (about .5 metre wide) and put mainly reed type of plants in there. It's easy to access, safer for kids and looks fine.

Thing to bear in mind though is that there are implictions when you have a shared sewer running along private properties as opposed to under the street. Who is liable for repairs and for what kind of failures? What is the council role? These have been covered here or on the Legal Discussion forum fairly recently so have a look back or do a bit of searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Same here, smack bang in the middle of the lawn. It's hidden now amongst a garden feature (yet still accessible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

My house in Wexford was built 25 years ago every house along my row in the housing estate has a manhole in the garden allot of them were covered over with earth so you didn't see it the one in my garden is exposed due to some work I'm doing at the moment, the house down from me shares it with there neighbor as its under a fence so that would cause some problems

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Old housing estates tend to have these in them alot. New housing estates wouldnt have them in it unless it had to be there.

I've never designed a drainage system with sewers in peoples back gardens. AJ's maybe required from time to time but they are generally alot smaller. #

Watch out for the way leave issues with pipes in back gardens. Can lead to problems when buying/selling

Advertisement