Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb "restart" button

Options
  • 07-08-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi all.i currently have Digiweb Metro broadband.i need to download lots of stuff from torrents but the cap....cant switch to UPC because of the 12 months contract which runs out only in half a year.on the first day of my usage,i've accidently pressed the "restart" button on the back of the modem and after that,for about a month,anything i've downloaded hasnt been included into my total traffic usage.just thinking,should i do it again.but on their website,digiweb have a notice that "after restarting modem,you will need to call out an ingeneer with a fee included".didnt have to do it the first time.any advices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hrmm. I can garuntee you that you're now not actually using the Digiweb connection because when you press the reset button on Alvarion equipment it wipes the connectivity settings on your radio so that it can't reconnect to your highsite.

Do me a favour, go here;
    http://www.geody.com/geoip.php

And click on submit. Tell me what it says for your ISP. I'd nearly bet a tenner that it's not Digiweb as I suspect that you're connecting to a wide open WiFi network in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Clearwire and Digiweb have no connection. The OP said Digiweb.

@Dicksboro_man
    Some (most?) modems reload a factory firmware that won't work on the network, when you press the reset. You may have been lucky :) Also there is method to actually pressing reset, which if achieved would require your modem to be swapped.

If you have a connection it's likely any lack of stats is a co-incidence. The cap is nothing to do with any modem setting. Don't press the reset.

You want to run lots of torrents, but "need" is a little strong. There is no 1st day of usage. The cap is a rolling total. What was 31 days ago drops off as today's is added.

Summary:
    * Nothing you do to the modem affects your cap or usage. That is recorded at HQ.
    * Sometimes the usage stats on http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie/ show up empty.
    * You may not have really reset the modem. If you do really reset the modem there is a good chance it needs swapped out and would stop working. Reset simply loads factory firmware instead of the current firmware. It does not reset usage or cap.

@Achilles are you answering a different post?

watty wrote: »
    Clearwire and Digiweb have no connection. The OP said Digiweb.

@Dicksboro_man
    Some (most?) modems reload a factory firmware that won't work on the network, when you press the reset. You may have been lucky :) Also there is method to actually pressing reset, which if achieved would require your modem to be swapped.

If you have a connection it's likely any lack of stats is a co-incidence. The cap is nothing to do with any modem setting. Don't press the reset.

You want to run lots of torrents, but "need" is a little strong. There is no 1st day of usage. The cap is a rolling total. What was 31 days ago drops off as today's is added.

Summary:
    * Nothing you do to the modem affects your cap or usage. That is recorded at HQ.
    * Sometimes the usage stats on http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie/ show up empty.
    * You may not have really reset the modem. If you do really reset the modem there is a good chance it needs swapped out and would stop working. Reset simply loads factory firmware instead of the current firmware. It does not reset usage or cap.

@Achilles are you answering a different post?

Sorry, re-edited my post. Considering you're the local Digiweb tech I'll leave this in your capable hands :-)

Achilles wrote: »
    Hrmm. I can garuntee you that you're now not actually using the Digiweb connection because when you press the reset button on Alvarion equipment it wipes the connectivity settings on your radio so that it can't reconnect to your highsite.

It's Metro. Not Alvarion. There is nothing else for it to connect to other than Digiweb.

Though in a general sense, you illustrate the daftness of pressing little "don't press this" buttons.

Too many people have Wizard Blood. (Read Terry Pratchett)

Ahh forgive me, I thought they were talking about the Digiweb wireless service as I have a fair amount of experience with Alvarion equipment. Never mind so.

Also watty have ya said hello to Julie-Ann in Business sales for me yet? If you know her to talk to you probably already know who I work for...

• Advertisement

I work in a sekret place... the only girl I see is the cleaner carrying my crate load of empty coffee mugs.

Easy mistake, Achilles :) . I think Digiweb has about 6 or 7 Wireless technologies. We don't call "Metro", wireless because it is a Wireless-a-fied something else technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

/me waves at watty in sekret cave

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

http://www.geody.com/geoip.php

And click on submit. Tell me what it says for your ISP. I'd nearly bet a tenner that it's not Digiweb as I suspect that you're connecting to a wide open WiFi network in the area.
    No,its Digiweb.i got "IP: 89.***.***.40 Location:
    Ireland IE (Digiweb ltd)"

tnx for the answers.any more advices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

any more advices?
    What more do you need?

cgarvey wrote: »
    What more do you need?

any info

• Advertisement

any info

Call their support line, they should be able to help you reconfigure the modem over the phone.

There is ZERO user configuration on a Metro modem.

If it still connects you are fine, if not, then it needs swapped out.

It is 100% configured (provisioned) automatically & remotely.

Issues of Speed, Cap, statistics are NEVER EVER modem related.

This is not like ADSL, Alvarion or any Wireless system.

The only thing a user can do via web interface is reboot it (seriously not recommended in some areas as it may lock to the wrong mast and give you an erratic connection).

You may reboot it or reset it the "proper way" simply by unplugging power, count to 15, plug it in again. It will then issue a new DHCP lease if you have connected a different PC/laptop or router (hot switching the ethernet to a different device usually leaves you with no IP address).

There is absolutely no settings or configurations of changes of any kind apart from unplugging it from mains and connecting again that ANY user (even me) can do, no matter if assisted by support or not.

Nor can it be hacked, or installed with OpenWRT or any other similar router activity. It's simply not that kind of gadget. It's just a modem. H.Q. in Digiweb decides if it is allowed to connect or not and decides what speed to give it. Even if you bought an identical one and plugged it in it would sit there for ever doing nothing unless Digiweb had its serial number and enabled that on the provisioning system.

Nor can anyone "listen in" to your dowload or upload. It's all encrypted, not micky-mouse like WiFi WEP either... Also unlike WiFi the user never needs to enter keys... It's all done automatically via the central system on a secure private physical network, not the Internet.

It may be more secure than 3G data...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

If it still connects you are fine, if not, then it needs swapped out.

Watty, when you say 'swapped out' do you mean get a new one?

misslt wrote: »
    Watty, when you say 'swapped out' do you mean get a new one?

Yeah that's what he means. I'm curious then Watty as this kind of thing interests me, if not Alvarion then what kind of Equipment does the Metro service use?

I was sure they were Alvarion IDUs & sectors. I understand if you don't want to divulge company secrets or whatever but it'd be nice to know as wireless technologies interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Metro is a DOCSIS network, identical to UPC and other cable operators.

so..any other ways to avoid the cap?

sometimes,when i have no download traffic left,i turn off my modem for approx 20 mins,then i switch it on for 10 and download what i need,then turn it off.it works!!10 mins of 600kb/sec=350mb.better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

You can't really avoid it tbh, its on the package for a reason.

Either buy extra traffic/upgrade/stay within the limits.

You should leave the modem on. It doesn't affect the cap. Which is download + upload. It's what your PC does. If you have torrents you can turn them off or adjust them. They don't have to be trying to upload 100% eating your cap.

Make sure no evil zombie spam trojans using your PC to send spam. That counts in your cap too.

so..any other ways to avoid the cap?

sometimes,when i have no download traffic left,i turn off my modem for approx 20 mins,then i switch it on for 10 and download what i need,then turn it off.it works!!10 mins of 600kb/sec=350mb.better than nothing.

Or you could just go out and buy the movies DVDs and CD that you've been downloading and save us all alot of hassle.

It could be Linux Distros. Tesco/Heiton's don't do them yet.

Or SkyAnytime/C4/BBC etc p2p client :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

his mention of "350mb" means its undoubtedly an episode of tv show.....which is perfectly legal as its public domain upon airing. As long as hes not selling it, he's doing nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Downloading tv shows is copyright infringement, just like movies or music. Why do you think television companys pay to transmit them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kirby wrote: »
    his mention of "350mb" means its undoubtedly an episode of tv show.....which is perfectly legal as its public domain upon airing. As long as hes not selling it, he's doing nothing wrong.
    No it's not. How does everyone think that it's not illegal to download tv shows because they've been aired?

No it's not. How does everyone think that it's not illegal to download tv shows because they've been aired?

lets just say i download loads of wallpapers :D

Kirby wrote: »

Wrong.

1) You can't show live in Public or commercially without a licence/royalty payment.

2) Unencrypted broadcast has no effect on the "rights" involved at all.

3) The 350Mbyte can apply to lots of things, not just TV shows. Scratch "undoubtedly". Maybe he really does like "Wallpapers" Some are very large and can't be linked to here for reasons other than copyright. Never assume anything.

4) Personal, giving away or charging may only affect the degree of penalty, rather than the legality of breaking rights.

However many broadcasters now operate legal P2P, often with DRM to allow catchup/re-watching or whatever. That also does not put it in the "Public Domain".

It could be Linux Distros. Tesco/Heiton's don't do them yet.

Or SkyAnytime/C4/BBC etc p2p client :)

Yes of course, but when has utilisation of P2P in such a way ever caused people to moan about slow downloads?

Wrong.
    However many broadcasters now operate legal P2P, often with DRM to allow catchup/re-watching or whatever. That also does not put it in the "Public Domain".

yeap.chelsea tv,rte and rte2 for example.

Yes of course, but when has utilisation of P2P in such a way ever caused people to moan about slow downloads?

I think the sums suggest that less than a couple of hours a day of legal BBC/Sky/C4 p2p TV show watching is about 160Gbyte a month. They go over cap less than 7 days into the 30 days, and end up throttled for 15 days, then go past Rolling or calendar cap in about 2 or 3 days and throttled another 10 or 15 days.. Throttle is 100k to 200k depending on ISP.

Serious problem. It would be better if people had SMART PVRs that recorded broadcasts they might want to watch. A PVR can have 160GByte to 500Gbyte drive these days. Cheaper than buying an extra 100G to 130G cap every month.

Advertisement