Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT - How long to install?

Options
  • 07-08-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Right, so I'm gonna get BT broadband in a house that I'm moving into with 4 other lads for college. Anyway, there is a landline connection in the hall so I'm going with DSL.

AFAIK the landline has never been used before so would I need to do anything more than give them the address of the house or what? Sorry for being stupid here, I just don't know how it works exactly.

So, I was wondering how long they take to activate the lines or whatever.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

It depends on if the line is active or not. If it's not then you'll have to get Eircom to activate it (should not take very long) - every so often they offer free activation/reactivation - I can't find anything on their site though - Eircom will then give you an account number.
    You then contact BT with your Eircom account number and they should do the rest (think this was what I did, although it was a couple of years ago). From the time you give BT the account number it should take about 10 working days (may be shorter now). If the line is already active then you can just get the account number and contact BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Might have to pay the security deposit as well before the install will go shead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Barty wrote: »
    It depends on if the line is active or not. If it's not then you'll have to get Eircom to activate it (should not take very long) - every so often they offer free activation/reactivation - I can't find anything on their site though - Eircom will then give you an account number.
    You then contact BT with your Eircom account number and they should do the rest (think this was what I did, although it was a couple of years ago). From the time you give BT the account number it should take about 10 working days (may be shorter now). If the line is already active then you can just get the account number and contact BT.

Hrm, I don't think it's ever been activated before so I guess we are gonna have to do that first. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 muminek

im...LOST wrote: »
    Right, so I'm gonna get BT broadband in a house that I'm moving into with 4 other lads for college. Anyway, there is a landline connection in the hall so I'm going with DSL.

AFAIK the landline has never been used before so would I need to do anything more than give them the address of the house or what? Sorry for being stupid here, I just don't know how it works exactly.

So, I was wondering how long they take to activate the lines or whatever.

Thanks..

If you ring BT sales they should take all details to arrange line activation for you - if there's a phone cable and was in use it should take few days to connect the line and activate the phone number (this can be done remotely - and you should have a call back from them to let you know what is the new number). If they find issues with the engineering part of the connection they have to call you back and let you know.

Address and contact details are required to roll the process. At the point of sale explain them what DSL service you need - should be fine.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Just rang BT there. Provided that the line hasn't been activated before, it'll cost 121 Euro to activate it and take 6 weeks to do it.

Damn! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

im...LOST wrote: »
    Just rang BT there. Provided that the line hasn't been activated before, it'll cost 121 Euro to activate it and take 6 weeks to do it.

Damn! :eek:

don't do it! i made the mistake of going to bt to get my line connected and it took 5 months, and even then i had to hound them nearly every day for the last month. they told me it would take up to 6 weeks but shouldn't even take that long as i lived in a residential area in dublin:rolleyes:

go directly to eircom if you want to get it done within a few weeks

Advertisement