Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vat and vrt on cars less than 6 month old

Options
  • 07-08-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

i bought a 520d which was first regestered on the road 22/02/2008
    i keep it in a mates garage in northern ireland till this week when i phoned the vro ofice about clearing it he asked for the sales receite its dated may he recons il have to pay vat on it as it wasnt 6 months old when i bought it even thou it wasnt brought over the border till this week is this true is there any way around this all help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If you receipt shows you purchased it when the car was less than 6 months old (ie May) you are stuffed. Can you get the dealer to re-issue you with a receipt with a purchase date over 6 months?

In fairness how does the Revenue know whether the car was in a mates shed or being driven around since May...? Its the date of purchase that interests them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

They'll look for Bank statements, Bills and a working contract to prove you were resident there for the 6 months you owned the car.

Just buying it and leaving it sit there for 6 months is no good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Transfer ownership to your mate, then have your mate "sell" it to you, show up at VRT 8 months from date of first registration. Presuming it has a reg, if not your going to have to pay the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

craichoe wrote: »
    They'll look for Bank statements, Bills and a working contract to prove you were resident there for the 6 months you owned the car.

Just buying it and leaving it sit there for 6 months is no good at all.
    Read the first post. OP is not looking to avoid VRT, just VAT.

OP, remember, as well as being over six months old, the car has to have over 6,000 kms on it to be imported free of VAT.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I was in the VRO office on Wednesday in Dundalk and only for the car is brand new (a week old imported from Northern Ireland) she wouldnt have mentioned Vat.

Go and register it. All you need to take with you is the V5 thats all.

When did you get buy it they ask, you say yesterday.

Plus think of it this way, you already paid the UK vat in the northern??????

Change the date on the receipt yourself or just go to the VRO office in Dundalk - full of air heads imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Do the decent thing and pay the VAT here. Why would you want to hand over your taxes to Her Majesties Revenue? When you bought the car you didn't have to pay the UK VAT. You can still go back to the dealer and retrospectively fill in VAT Form 411 and ask them to refund you the VAT.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/consumers-vehicle.htm
    Exporting your motor vehicle to another EU country from the UK

If you buy a new motor vehicle in the UK to take to somewhere else in the EU, you'll have to pay VAT on the vehicle in the other country when you arrive there. You won't have to pay UK VAT when you buy the car if you do all three of these things:
    • you or your authorised chauffeur personally take delivery of the new vehicle in the UK
    • you export it within two months of its supply to you
    • you and your supplier complete and sign form VAT 411 and send it to the address on the form
    If you sell a new vehicle to someone who is moving to another EU country within two months, you may be entitled to a refund of VAT. This only applies if you aren't registered for VAT in the UK, and you can demonstrate that you have paid UK VAT on the vehicle.

Obtain form VAT 411 New Means of Transport

Find out about exporting vehicles from the UK to other EU countries in VAT Notice 728

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dannydif

the car wasnt new when i bought it it was a ex demo with 5800miles i bought it into northern ireland the last week in april and am looking now to clear it if i have to pay the vat at 21% it would be a extra 10000euro and also if they make me pay the vrt at the old rate it would ad another 8500euro so as u can see 18500euro extra is a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dannydif wrote: »
    the car wasnt new when i bought it it was a ex demo with 5800miles i bought it into northern ireland the last week in april and am looking now to clear it if i have to pay the vat at 21% it would be a extra 10000euro and also if they make me pay the vrt at the old rate it would ad another 8500euro so as u can see 18500euro extra is a lot of money

Why would they be charging you the old rate of VRT? All cars are now Vrt'd on the Co2 system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

dannydif wrote: »
    the car wasnt new when i bought it it was a ex demo with 5800miles

It was a 2 month old ex-demo which according to VAT rules both here and in the UK makes it a 'New means of transport'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This topic is on two threads, so it's going to get confusing.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This topic is done, basically. The rules are clearcut. The only way around them is cheating in some shape or form. Tempting, but nonetheless illegal and hence not really a point for discussion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement