Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Usage?

Options
  • 07-08-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I'm on BT's 24Mbs and I wonder what would constitute a fair usage limit. People who have Smart or UPC might be able to help. Informed guesses would be welcome too. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

couple of hundred gigs I imagine

they were throttling when you hit 100gig under the old llu thing iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sterzlr

ahhh - fair usage - just got off the phone with BT Technical Support on this issue - i have downloaded 80GB, all done between midnight and dawn, this month and now my speed has been reduced to 130kbps.

The circular argument went like this -
    me: it says unlimited downloads
    bt: yes - but subject to fair usage
    me: i only download at night, is that not fair?
    bt: yes - but you have hit your quota
    me: but it says unlimited?
    bt: yes - but its a fair use policy?
    me: what is the fair use policy limit?
    bt: I don't know, but you have hit your quota
    etc, etc, etc

30 minutes of this. Couldn't get out of them when the speed would hit normal levels or what the limit was. They appear to be looking at the last 30 days of downloads and not looking at a calendar month view. So there must be some quota or mechanism that they are using but aren't telling anyone yet.....

I don't mind being restricted by speed, but at least tell me what the limit is and when it is going to be lifted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

That sounds a lot like the 'old' unofficial limit - 100gbs for 30 day period rather than calendar month.
    The usage calculator is still running on the 30gbs limit for me too.
    Not that I need a huge allowance, but that's a bit off being unlimited.

Bollocks!!!

Advertisement