Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Game Bugs

Options
  • 07-08-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Recently I purchased a game called "Rock Tour" where you take an upcoming band and try to make them superstars by organising gigs, recording CDs and promotion. Played for a while, saved and came back - NO save! After a little research this is a bug know about by the developers (and testers) but was never sorted.
    >> A save file will not save while a promotion is running (there are promotions that run forever - a website).

Bizarre!

So what are some of the strangest bugs / strangest things left in a game in spite of the developers knowing that you have found?

🤪

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Vampire Bloodlines, loading level game fail fatal error.
    You had to hack the game to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Battlecruiser 3000AD, Vampire bloodlines and Fallout2 (at launch) had some amazingly awful bugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Didn't Gran Tourismo 3 A-Spec have a bug where you couldn't actually clear the game?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The most frustrating one I remember was the Hidden & Dangerous fall-through-the-world special. God that was a great game for its time but so buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Boiling Point: Road to Hell

Possibly one of the worst buggy games iv ever came across. When you play this game such things you will encounter:
    - Invisable enemies that you cant kill (all you see is gunfire comming from an spot but no one is there)
    - Elderly Women in the game who seem carry grenades, run and have the same shouting sound as the normal male mercenaries in the game
    - Items disapearring all of a sudden
    - Warped AI mapping, you see a guy who is a good bit away from you, next thing after you turn back around after one second he is in your face

Even the interface and general controls are down right annoying. Its a shame as in fact if the game didn't have these problems it may have been an excellent game. Another example of good game theory but implemented badly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Sacred. So many game-ending bugs. I tried about 5 times to finish that game but between my gear vanishing, turning into a giant potion and then a giant door on my next retry I just left it alone. Great game too.

Agreed on Boiling Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Maximilian wrote: »
    The most frustrating one I remember was the Hidden & Dangerous fall-through-the-world special. God that was a great game for its time but so buggy.

Aye H&D takes it for me also. I remember once I was doing a mission that was taking me bloody ages to do. So with the help of a guide I finally got right to the end only for the arms of all the men in my squad to disappear rendering me unable to fire any weapon. Then there was the magic invisible tank in another mission. When it worked, it was a wonderful game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Maximilian wrote: »

That was the first thing I thought upon seeing the thread title. At least H&D made up for it's bugs! My personal favourite was fighting floating Germans.

The Thing on PC was pretty bad - you had to test your team-mates to see they were infected and therefore a host for The Thing. So the game had these blood tests to check your team members for infection, but they never worked. One second a team member is clean and then the next he's a mutant blood pile.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Stalker had a good few bugs when it came out, some serious ones in certain situations, needed a few patches to get rite, and as said boiling point, lol you'd reach boiling point when it was out by the number of bugs and annoyances

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Middle of a CS 1.5 match and someone msgs you on MSN, window minimises and bingo, no sound for the rest of the match.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

H&D was awesome once they finally fixed it though. Many, many hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah Stalker was another one. I'm lucky in that I got the game rather late when most of the bugs had been fixed. However there were still a few such as the occasions when I'd be walking along and a group of hostile stalkers would literally appear out of nowhere around me and shoot me to death. Also there were errors with the questing system. I did some of the minor ones several times because they would keep coming available even after completing them. I suppose that made up for the ones that I couldn't finish due to people/monsters not spawning where they were supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There was a bug about 15-20 hours into Metroid Prime 2 where if you saved at a save station without having completed a puzzle a room or two behind, you could never complete that puzzle, could not move on with the game and would have to restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Operation Flashpoint!!!

ahh how i loved this game's bugs, if u destroy a tank, it bounces around for no reason, a car/truck/tank thats stopped begins to slide to the side for no reason what so ever. Running into a house ur magically transported to the second floor, or if ur sniping from the second floor of a house u magically go outside the walls and float in the air for a min or 2 before gravity pulls you to to the ground !

Great Bugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Neverwinter Nights 2 pile of crap. First time I played it my game was completely destroyed half way through when a plot trigger didn't fire. Second run through the final boss failed to spawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast. There were more quests than the "quest completed array" allowed, so if you completed all the quests as you went along you reached a point (fairly late on) where you couldn't complete any more quests, and couldn't complete the game. Patched fairly quickly, but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Kingpin - There was a fatal glitch in this, damn refinery level which you could not pass unless you had a level skip cheat to use :mad:

Fallout 2 - The glitch where half of your car disapears for no reason. This includes the boot area where you store all your items. The first time I got it, I had just left the Advanced Power Armor in it, got to the next town and it was gone :(:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Tribes 2 - it just didn't work and as a result, I was gutted. Was so looking forward to that game, as was my housemate at the time.

Steam was buggy enough too when it first launched.

Creature wrote: »
    Yeah Stalker was another one. I'm lucky in that I got the game rather late when most of the bugs had been fixed. However there were still a few such as the occasions when I'd be walking along and a group of hostile stalkers would literally appear out of nowhere around me and shoot me to death. Also there were errors with the questing system. I did some of the minor ones several times because they would keep coming available even after completing them. I suppose that made up for the ones that I couldn't finish due to people/monsters not spawning where they were supposed to.

God yeah that was bad. And then when they did fix the first load of bugs, your saved games were incompatible with the new patched version. Appalling. I put that game back on the shelf for 3 months before getting around to playing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Like some already said Flashpoint when they patched it and got the physics a little screwy and shooting a tank with an ordinary made it bounce away. Was funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Never had any serious probs with H&D. Loved it to bits.

BP: RtH is prolly the best buggy game I have if it makes sense. Hope the sequel works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Jet Set Willy, you couldn't complete the game without poking it. Bloody annoying.

Advertisement