Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to Secondary teaching after 7 years

• 07-08-2008 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I graduated with HDip in Ed (U.C.C - English & Geography) in 2001. I have since completed Dip. Forensic Psychology and taught in the UK for one year.

Upon returning to Ireland I found it hard to secure a position and took a position with the civil service - what was meant to be a short term measure turned into 4 years!

Now aged 30 and 6 - 7 years out of the teaching loop, I am thinking of applying for teaching positions and returning to this career.

Does anyone have any opinions on
    (a)whether my 'break' from teaching will hinder any chance of employment
    (b) whether there are 'refresher courses' as such that will bring me back up to speed with the current curriculum.

All advice and guidance appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

re chances of employment go to www.educationposts.ie

you could always do primary subbing while you are waiting for a secondary post. sign up for text-a-sub on same site

re refresher course i'd say do english and geography as an external student in the 09 leaving. if you are looking for a job in september 09 it will put the interviewer at ease that you got 2 A1s and are not rusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

pathway33 wrote: »
    re chances of employment go to www.educationposts.ie

you could always do primary subbing while you are waiting for a secondary post. sign up for text-a-sub on same site

re refresher course i'd say do english and geography as an external student in the 09 leaving. if you are looking for a job in september 09 it will put the interviewer at ease that you got 2 A1s and are not rusty.

Thats a great idea about the Leaving - certainly would bring me back up to scratch! Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Thats a great idea about the Leaving - certainly would bring me back up to scratch! Many thanks.

theres a circular which was sent out to schools which contains the 2009 leaving cert english syllabus. google the department of education and on
    the left of their homepage i think you'll find post-primary syllabusses . get the teacher guidelines from same site for both subjects as they are invaluable.

re leaving cert geography, you'll have to do a project worth 20% which has to be supervised and signed off by a teacher so dunno how you'll get round that.

theres a few externals on here in the same boat with history and religion and also lab book sign off for the sciences. one idea is to approach a VEC who do adult evening repeat leaving and just do the project under their supervision. maybe go back to your old school. you could even offer
    to do some supervision as a thank-you so you'd be getting recent experience too. kill 2 birds with the 1 stone :D

www.examinations.ie have the past papers and marking schemes and also the application instructions for external candidates.

best of luck :)

Advertisement