Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howa 1500

Options
  • 07-08-2008 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im new to the boards and was just wondering if anyone has any info or opinions on a howa 1500 .223 rifle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im new to the boards and was just wondering if anyone has any info or opinions on a howa 1500 .223 rifle.

I haven't any personal experience of them but they get a great write up
    in all the big mags and they look good to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Yeah ive seen a few good reveiws of them. I was considering a remy
    700 but heard they have bad stocks and i dont want to hav to get into
    changing stocks.

Anyone out there with personal experience with the howa?

And ive also heard the howa will outshoot the remy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

And ive also heard the howa will outshoot the remy

tommy tikka t3 it will out shoot the two and will sell better SH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

jwshooter wrote: »

Pricewise, the 3 are similar

• Advertisement

Already have the howa bought. The places i looked the tikka was that
    bit more expensive so i decided against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

thats open to debate !!!

.243 wrote: »
    thats open to debate !!!

Whats your opinion of the 3??

out of the box i have yet to see one not shoot sub moa

Thanks for the replies. Anyone who has a howa feel free to tell me what they're like.

• Advertisement

my personal opinion is a remington, now im not dismissing the rest,but i buy a rifle on based where it has come from in the past,
    remember you are buying a rifle to do that "job" in hand,they all do the same thing in the right hands,
    people get caught up very easily in blaming the tools before themselves and shooting a rifle is no different,
    so choose on what you come up with in doing your homework,

remington has been around the longest and has proven itself down those years and the easiest to upgrade on aftermarket parts and well known in gunsmithing circles to be the easiest on any quieries

tikka is the cheaper version of the sako(a part cloned action)plain and simple, not around as long as the remingtion,proven by opinion not time(it only gets its good vaule on the back of being a sako) and if i had to choose id go looking for a sako

howa is the greenhorn of all three,very fresh from the far east,cheaper than the rest because of it mass production,its based on the remington,sako and winchester designs all combined into one,time will tell on this one,

you get what you pay for and dont expect that this new rifle will do wonders all by itself ,remember you have to pull the trigger ,all the rifle has to do is send the bullet to where you want it to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Spot on for once:)

my personal opinion is a remington, now im not dismissing the rest,but i buy a rifle on based where it has come from in the past,
    remember you are buying a rifle to do that "job" in hand,they all do the same thing in the right hands,
    people get caught up very easily in blaming the tools before themselves and shooting a rifle is no different,
    so choose on what you come up with in doing your homework,

remington has been around the longest and has proven itself down those years and the easiest to upgrade on aftermarket parts and well known in gunsmithing circles to be the easiest on any quieries

tikka is the cheaper version of the sako(a part cloned action)plain and simple, not around as long as the remingtion,proven by opinion not time(it only gets its good vaule on the back of being a sako) and if i had to choose id go looking for a sako

howa is the greenhorn of all three,very fresh from the far east,cheaper than the rest because of it mass production,its based on the remington,sako and winchester designs all combined into one,time will tell on this one,

you get what you pay for and dont expect that this new rifle will do wonders all by itself ,remember you have to pull the trigger ,all the rifle has to do is send the bullet to where you want it to go
    sako is the best but the tikka you will not have to up grade it with after market parts ,they shoot out of the box ,i had two remmie s a 270 adl timber stock god that rifle kicked and after that a lovely bdl 243 after i got work done on it , it shot ok .howa make the vangaurd i think not known as a tack driver

sako is the best but the tikka you will not have to up grade it with after market parts ,they shoot out of the box ,i had two remmie s a 270 adl timber stock god that rifle kicked and after that a lovely bdl 243 after i got work done on it , it shot ok .howa make the vangaurd i think not known as a tack driver

thats because there's very little out there for them if you want to upgrade if need be
    all rifles "shoot out of the box",its who's behind it with the experience is what makes the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

thats because there's very little out there for them if you want to upgrade if need be
    all rifles "shoot out of the box",its who's behind it with the experience is what makes the difference

I hope your right 243 cause i'm waiting on a sps223 at the moment. 7 weeks now. Can't wait:D

thats because sako and tikka out of the box have lovely triggers good stocks very well made barrels as standard if you want all that in a remmie ya may up grade yourself or go top of the range .but if you want to shoot a remmie work away .notting wrong with remmies there is some fine rifles are made on there actions

kay 9 wrote: »
    I hope your right 243 cause i'm waiting on a sps223 at the moment. 7 weeks now. Can't wait:D

when you get it,get a heap of various ammo,plenty of time to yourself,loads of targets and good solid rest,take your time with it get to know it on what it likes and doesnt like,the trigger on the sps is heavy so dont fall into the pit of yanking it,if you do you'll pull shots,you'll know eventually when it breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Thanks for the tips mate. Ammo has a big part to play and the free floating of the sps. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

not so sure that SPS has a floating barrel??!!
    as for the 700 action,i find the howa action far nicer and better made,both look very simular with mounts and stocks interchangable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey OP how did you get on with the Howa that time?

I have heard they vary in accuracy but a good one is meant to be a lovely rifle

• Advertisement

STILL waiting on the licence. A crime prevention officer is coming to the house next week to check everything out. I will let you know what the gun is like when and if i get the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

STILL waiting on the licence. A crime prevention officer is coming to the house next week to check everything out. I will let you know what the gun is like when and if i get the licence.

Cheers would love to see a real review of one

Advertisement