Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under-rated Bands

Options
  • 07-08-2008 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Anybody else think the band, The Music, are incredibley under-rated?
    They are one of the best bands live i've ever seen and robert harvey has unbelievable range in his voice!!

I'd recommend checking them out, to anybody who has'nt already heard them!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

This is dodgy....2 posts, pure post about the music and worst of all in the wrong forum. Why back in my prime id have ya (grunt).....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

They're okay.
    But i dunno, they don't do it for me.
    They lack something n sound a little generic.
    Doesn't spark for me... There's too much of that kind of music around. Need something different, something innovative, something original. Something that can really stand out from the rest n you really can't compare them to no other band out there.
    Cuz i'm seriously sick of all this recycled indie and alternative crap that keeps coming up nowdays. Looks like most of the new mainstream musicians have lost innovation and are just following a success formula.

Or maybe its just not my kind of genre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

El Karlos wrote: »
    They are one of the best bands live i've ever seen and robert harvey has unbelievable range in his voice!!

I think I'll step off the fence here!!!
    :eek: You having a laugh right? Dreadful dodgy Duran Duran sh1te. It's like someone picked up all the worst stuff from the eighties and forgot to tell the kids it was irony.

Is that Nu-Rave then?

I kind of liked Interpol's nod to the New Romantic thing but it's gone beyond a joke at this stage. I've become seriously allergic to 16ths on hi-hats and THAT bass line thing!!!

Pity you can't get banned for bad taste I'd say.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

El Karlos wrote: »

El Karlos, don't mind them - I think they're ok . I also admire the fact you like them enough to make a post about them.

Leave the old hippies to their Grey Man's Blues!

I think the Icicle Works were underrated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

theres a particular band whom i think is underrated. and that bands name is...Cherry Ghost ;)

From Manchester? I liked the 'People help the people' single - a great recording I thought.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nice tune, simple, yet harmonically beautiful. 4AM is cracker too.

At Euro 6.99 for the album on iChoons, how could I not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johnnylakes

Silverchair...without a doubt one of the most undderrated bands on the planet. Seriously..check out there album 'Young Modern' ...amazing songwriting and some of the best production I've ever heard...fantastic...Van Dyke Parks arranges strings...Nick Launay at the helm....check it

• Advertisement

Are they the lot that sound like Nirvana, no?

Their early stuff did I guess, but their last 2 albums 'Diorama' and 'Young Modern' were a 'departure' as they say. Defo worth checking out...

Silverchair spent five weeks in the Australian Hunter Valley in late 2005 to practice and sharpen material Daniel Johns had previously written. Following this, the band recorded intermediate full band demo versions of the songs. To record the final versions of these songs, the band travelled to Los Angeles to record with record producer Nick Launay at Seedy Underbelly Studios. Johns co-produced the album alongside Launay.[1] During the L.A. sessions, additional songs were written and recorded. Van Dyke Parks was hired to compose orchestral arrangements for three songs: "If You Keep Losing Sleep", "All Across The World" and the 3 part epic "Those Thieving Birds/Strange Behaviour".[2] Johns and Parks travelled to Prague to have the orchestral arrangements recorded by the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.[3]
    Unlike previous Silverchair albums, Young Modern was funded independently by the band, rather than by a record label. This was done to "remove the added label pressures", according to Billboard.[4] The name Young Modern comes from a nickname given to Silverchair's lead singer, Daniel Johns, by Van Dyke Parks during their time working together on Diorama in 2002.[5] The album features various guest appearances from Australian and international musicians such as Luke Steele, Julian Hamilton, Yon Garfias and Paul Mac.[6]

Now for ya!! ;P

Their early stuff did I guess, but their last 2 albums 'Diorama' and 'Young Modern' were a 'departure' as they say. Defo worth checking out...

Silverchair spent five weeks in the Australian Hunter Valley in late 2005 to practice and sharpen material Daniel Johns had previously written. Following this, the band recorded intermediate full band demo versions of the songs. To record the final versions of these songs, the band travelled to Los Angeles to record with record producer Nick Launay at Seedy Underbelly Studios. Johns co-produced the album alongside Launay.[1] During the L.A. sessions, additional songs were written and recorded. Van Dyke Parks was hired to compose orchestral arrangements for three songs: "If You Keep Losing Sleep", "All Across The World" and the 3 part epic "Those Thieving Birds/Strange Behaviour".[2] Johns and Parks travelled to Prague to have the orchestral arrangements recorded by the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.[3]
    Unlike previous Silverchair albums, Young Modern was funded independently by the band, rather than by a record label. This was done to "remove the added label pressures", according to Billboard.[4] The name Young Modern comes from a nickname given to Silverchair's lead singer, Daniel Johns, by Van Dyke Parks during their time working together on Diorama in 2002.[5] The album features various guest appearances from Australian and international musicians such as Luke Steele, Julian Hamilton, Yon Garfias and Paul Mac.[6]

Cool, I remember seeing them live on TV at the time of the first album and while it was obviously Nirvanaesque , they fairly pucked it out for a bunch of Young Lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Didn't daniel marry Natalie Imbruglia as well, way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭le_tigre

What I consider underrated might simply be under-exposed, but I think the Go-Betweens and This Heat were both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

dunno if they are underrated but I loving this right now...

silversun pickups

an oldie form midlake

and check out Son Volt too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

whatever about his later albums captain beefhearts safe as milk album is a classic that does't get much cred these days. john peel was a big fan

Advertisement