Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i get her spayed

Options
  • 07-08-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

My boxer pup is almost in her first season should i get her done before her season or wait till after. Heard different arguements for both sides any advice please. Will it change her temperment in any way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

If she has not come into season yet then I would get her done now. Getting them spayed before their first season reduces the risks of mammary tumours later in life down to almost nothing. It will also usually mean a quicker recovery time.

If she has just come into season then you should wait until she is finished before you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Had two bitches and had both spayed after their first season on the advice of my very good small animal vet, didn't change their temperament in any way. I would say ask your Vet for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Personally I have it done after their first heat no change in them then either I just feel their body's get a chance to come full circle and develop.

Most vets are divided no this to but if you trust the vet your using now best to have a chat with them.

But make sure you get to talk full details as she's female and it's a major op for them compared to males as well as a kid in my neighbourhood had he's male done and was told afterwords boxers are high risk under anaesthetic especially white ones even with care from another vet it died two or three days later, it also had an over active toroid which the eedit vet didn't pick up on. Don't let this stop you I had to have a cat and a dog pts over the same vets mistakes. If your having it done in the south of Dublin I'll pm you who it was so you can ad void them.

But in general she should be fine with a vet who knows what he's doing and there are a lot of new anaesthetic's on the market for them to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Just had our Pomeranian spayed on advice from our Vet, there were no problems at all.
    I was at first worried about the Anesthetic on account of her being small , but there was no need to worry at all.
    Shadow was spayed before her first season and she is fine.
    What I would advise ( if you go ahead ) is to look out for the small things. The important things as regards to her recovery will be explained to you by your Vet.
    Shadows main discomfort was not being able to scratch behind her ears, because of the funnel collar she had to wear, so I had to watch for when she was itchey and scratch for her.
    Also I found that I had to tilt her feeding bowl at an angle because the collar was preventing her from eating.
    I know these are only small points but none of them were pointed out to me.
    Good Luck with your dog and I hope everything goes as smoothly as Shadow's experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'd get the dog spayed before hand it saves the dog going into heat and possible having her followed everywhere when out for a walk and other dogs possibly hanging around the area.

No need to let her have a season, anytime I've had dogs from pups I've always spayed before 6 months the older dog was about 3 when I got her and had her spayed straight away too many unneutered dogs allowed roam loose in the area here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

if she hasn't come into seaon yet no reason to delay getting her spayed.... if she has, I'd get her spayed after it's over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I weighed up both sides of the argurement and opted to let my two have a heat first.

So one of them went through heat, then unfortunatley got a suspected case of pyometra (sp)...thankfully it turned out to be not that serious, it was just an internal infection caused by the after effects of heat.

The build up of dead cells become infected and can be very serious if not treated. She became very lethargic and her thirst increased 5x hoping to flush her system out. She then began discharging some of the mucus and what not.

So on the adivice of the vet we had her spayed to be sure and remove any risks of the infection coming back. This was last week, and she has been on antibiotics until yesterday.
    Thankfully she has bounced right back and is full of life again. And she didnt need one of them lampshade things...she didnt go near her stitches.

So after that oredeal i was going to book the other girl in, but two days ago she came into heat...please god she gets over it ok.

So anyways, the vet said its not that common in such young dogs, but be warned infections can happen and at worst if they get pyometra, it can be very very bad.

Just a head ups from my experiece.

Advertisement