Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat going up under Wolfe Tone / O' Briens Bridge last Saturday

Options
  • 07-08-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Last Saturday, a small twin-hull inflatable boat heading up from Claddagh under the bridges as far as the nets past O' Briens Bridge. Red/White. By any chance did anyone get a video of it?

(Long shot I know)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Long shot i know but is there any chance you have webbed feet? You are definetly the amphibious type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sgthighway wrote: »
    Long shot i know but is there any chance you have webbed feet? You are definetly the amphibious type of person.

Who said it was me?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Have a look at my map on the Henry St post

sgthighway wrote: »
    Have a look at my map on the Henry St post

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Last Saturday, a small twin-hull inflatable boat heading up from Claddagh under the bridges as far as the nets past O' Briens Bridge. Red/White. By any chance did anyone get a video of it?

(Long shot I know)

wtf-cat.jpg

• Advertisement

LOL @ pic... Basicly...

One of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NM_cfhcFzI

Going full speed against the current from the Claddagh, under Wolfe Tone Bridge, under O' Briens Bridge. Turns at the eel nets and comes back down at full speed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Ya they docked on long walk for the night ....I was sure they'd be told to move on...I don't think you're allowed up that far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

John, was that you? My cousin was over from America (big boat fan) and captured some footage on his phone. He put the bit going under Wolfe Tone Bridge up on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMjBRZuyO5o
    Not my sort of thing but looked fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Missed that! I take it it was high tide at the time :pac:

You sure they went as far as the eel nets? They'd have to negotiate the old salmon traps to get that far, not sure you'd get past those in a boat...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

I doubt it would have been high tide.. not much room under wolftone at high..

it wouldn't have a problem going past traps either as the center channel would be wide enough..

and i doubt any of the fisheries officers would be too happy with that sort of thing either;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye, it couldn't have been full tide as you wouldn't fit much under wolfe tone, but John it couldn't have been doing full whack all the way up, the fishgates (between O Brien's Bridge and the Salmon weir bridge, also knows as King's Weir) have metal rails going across them bank to bank, it'd want to be shallow to get under them, and you wouldn't want to run the engine fast in such shallow water unless you were a total mong. And it's pretty narrow there to be flyign through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

mikom wrote: »
    John, was that you? My cousin was over from America (big boat fan) and captured some footage on his phone. He put the bit going under Wolfe Tone Bridge up on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMjBRZuyO5o
    Not my sort of thing but looked fun.

*snigger*

wet-paint wrote: »
    Aye, it couldn't have been full tide as you wouldn't fit much under wolfe tone, but John it couldn't have been doing full whack all the way up, the fishgates (between O Brien's Bridge and the Salmon weir bridge, also knows as King's Weir) have metal rails going across them bank to bank, it'd want to be shallow to get under them, and you wouldn't want to run the engine fast in such shallow water unless you were a total mong. And it's pretty narrow there to be flyign through.

It was 30mins before high tide - There was about 6" to spare between the arch at Wolfe Tone bridge and the top of the outboard engine (Absolutily feck all basicly)

Yes, the boat was doing full whack from Wolfe Tone bridge up (About 38 knots considering there was a little bit of a current, those boats can do about 48knots with a little tuning)

Yes, you're correct about the King's Weir - Sorry this is that I meant to say when I meant the 'nets', my mistake. Yeah i'm aware that there's a metal grid thingy going across the whole river at this point between the concrete pylons.

Finally, those boats (eventhough they're propped and not waterjet), once on the plane and going full speed, can run in only inches of water. When going full speed only half the prop is in the water (If you look down you can actually see the prop out of the water) causing a small 'rooster tale'. This always seemed like a contradiction to me with regards to speed/efficency, but it works and those boats go like stink (50HP engine on a boat that weighs 70KG - fun times!)

Advertisement