Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PSNI Training College

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 egwene

must admit im a little jealous :p

sounds like it will be a great facility... oh well... we'll have to make do with garnerville i guess :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

*bump

There is a small bit in the Belfast Telegraph today about the new centre.

They said work will begin in October 2012 and aim to complete by the summer 2015.

Sorry i cant find a link, but you will just have to take my word for it :D

They said Garnerville will be sold to help fund the new facility.

Nothing really new, but when things are so quiet around here, every little helps.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    *bump

There is a small bit in the Belfast Telegraph today about the new centre.

They said work will begin in October 2012 and aim to complete by the summer 2015.

Sorry i cant find a link, but you will just have to take my word for it :D

They said Garnerville will be sold to help fund the new facility.

Nothing really new, but when things are so quiet around here, every little helps.

Sounds bleak therefore for any sort of hope of recruitment before 2015 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Indeed , unless you are lucky enough to be ex FTR and thus qualify for the ' Stealth Recruitment ' programme :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Delancey wrote: »
    Indeed , unless you are lucky enough to be ex FTR and thus qualify for the ' Stealth Recruitment ' programme :rolleyes:
    A quick glance confirms that the closing date for that was last Friday. It will be very interesting to see the demographic of that groups of trainees!

• Advertisement

Shield wrote: »
    A quick glance confirms that the closing date for that was last Friday. It will be very interesting to see the demographic of that groups of trainees!

I reckon an FOI request would answer our questions ( or is that confirm our suspicions ? ) , of course no reason why any member of the Policing Board can't question PSNI management directly ;)

On a serious note , it must be remembered that RC representation in the FTR was extremely low and if the recruitment of Investigators transpires to have largely been an exercise in the recruitment of ex FTR it then follows that the representation rate of RC's in the investigator grade will also be very low - this would clearly be at odds with the stated ambition of greater RC representation throughout the organisation.
    I await developments with interest.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

Just a thought on the college as I'm still holding on to some hope......

http://www.nipolicingboard.org.uk/article/?id=12028

Statement on the college from the NI Policing Board and one of the comments is:

"In order to ensure continuity in the PSNI’s training provision the disposals of the sites agreed today will be timed to coincide with the opening of the new college"

Clutching at straws and having some wishful thinking means that they need to have some sort of training facility in place for the next intakes!!!! (Yes, I know that they train current officers and police staff in the existing facilities, but please let me cling to a tiny bit of hope!! :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Here's hoping police officers are among the first intakes and not just prison officers and firefighters!!

With the PSNI's current recruitment speed, there might be a new campaign mid to late 2013 then.

A long time I know, but I've been waiting longer already and have got through it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15186226

2015, if they want police trainees in, they will need a recruitment campaign in 2014. So two to three years from now.

BBC Newsline @1830 hrs today will be doing a special report on the Desetrcreat training college so something to watch there.
    According to BBC construction will commence in 2 years time - the outlook for recruitment for the next few years looks very bleak unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Desertcreat is a ridiculous waste of money in my opinion. Leave a prime location site in a relatively safe area for an isolated field in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention that G'ville is only in need of some minor renovations (lots of cash already spent on revamping accommodation block). Typical Northern Ireland; ignore what is actually needed and splash the cash on a headline grabbing white elephant. How many officers could be put on the street with the money that's being spent?

My $0.02 for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Agreed, it should have been put on hold for a bit longer and money spent on actual requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

I on the other hand look forward to all those extra mileage claims when they close steeple and garnerville....

But I get your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Heres the link to the new college website !

http://www.desertcreatcollege.org/

Somebody seems very keen to get going - very premature to have a website when you consider the Planning has yet to go through.
    Despite all the nice sounds about it I would not rule out financial issues further delaying this project - years late already so in the words of the song ' Whats Another Year ? '.....or 2....or 3.......:rolleyes:

Memo To Self : - Try not to be so cynical

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

I would agree with you there. I cant help but feel we are not yet at the worst of our social financial problems, so I would not be surprised to see plans/budgets change and change again.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/college_could_train_fbi_staff_1_3374385

FUTURE FBI agents could be trained at the new emergency services college in Cookstown, a senior police officer has indicated.

The US’s Federal Bureau of Investigation has held talks with the PSNI about the possibility of using the £140 million facilities at Desertcreat when they open in 2015, said Deputy Chief Constable Judith Gillespie.

The commander revealed that 61 private developers had shown interest in bidding for the tender to build the police, fire and prison services college — an 18-month project that will employ 1,500 construction workers.

Mrs Gillespie, who chairs the college’s programme board, said the facilities on the 250-acre site will be world class.

She said the FBI and other international law enforcement agencies were interested in using the facilities for anti-terrorism and public order training.

“There are all sorts of opportunities opening up for us to have residential training for national and international colleagues, not just in policing but fire and rescue and prisons as well,” she said. “This will be truly a unique, state-of-the-art, best-in-class facility.”

She added: “The FBI are already expressing an interest, our colleagues in An Garda Siochana and the rest of the UK as well.

“There is the FBI academy in Quantico in Virginia but we have huge experience here and it’s often been the case where we’ve sent people to America to learn about policing techniques only to discover that we know as much if not more than the Americans do.

“And I think we have a real product to sell here, not just on counter-terrorism and our experience here over the last 30 to 40 years but also policing public order in a human rights-compliant way.

“We have human rights at the centre of everything we do here and I think we have a very strong message to give to international colleagues.”

When completed, the complex will incorporate huge outdoor and indoor practical training facilities. These will include a mock-up prison, fire station and urban town streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

That sounds pretty cool, since we are having cash flow issues over here maybe the FBI can throw a few quid this way to build the place! Seems a fair deal! :-)

Meh ! When AGS in the Republic spent a fortune on updating the Templemore College the exact same stuff about the FBI and other forces using the facility was trotted out.
    Seems to me that by mentioning the FBI they expect people to drop to their knees in thanks.
    Lets see the place built first and then see what other forces ( if any ) actually use it.

After the recent and alarming spate of car-jacking, the public reaction and the calls for an increased police presence are understandable. It will, however, fall on deaf ears. I noted that last year, there was no local police recruitment procedure at all.
    The PSNI website now seems to suggest that no recruiting competition will be run in 2012, either.
    What puzzles me is why we are proposing to spend £140m on a new police college in Cookstown. Who are we going to train?
    I did hear a suggestion that we could be training FBI recruits, but that seems ludicrous.
    While the FBI might have had something to learn from the RUC, I am at a loss as to what they might glean from the PSNI, other than possibly how to face down vicious rioters using nothing stronger than harsh language.
    Would it not be better to lash a few gallons of magnolia emulsion onto the existing college at Garnerville and use the £140m to train and pay for a few new squads each year?
    Then we might at least have a visible police (such as they are) presence on the ground to deter car-jackers and those who prey on the elderly and the vulnerable in general.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/letters/new-police-college-is-just-another-white-elephant-16105708.html#ixzz1jtZ3moza

• Advertisement

In a reply to a Freedom of Information request that someone posted on this forum the PSNI indicated no recruitment campaign in 2012 and said no decision had been made with respect to 2013 .... I wouldn't hold my breath though.
    The references to the FBI are , I suspect , to try and deflect criticism about the expense of the new centre.
    There seems to be an expectation that people will say '' oh well if the FBI are going to use it then it must be good '' , I have to ask ; why would the FBI send people across the Atlantic when thay have their own training facilities ?
    This FBI talk is just hyperbole in my opinion and when / if the new centre is built I seriously doubt that any meaningful or substantial FBI training will happen there.
    I will guarantee you that FBI recruits will not be trained in Norn Iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

Building starting mid 2013. Completed towards end of 2015. Best guess then would be probably no recruitment until late 2014, early 2015 EARLIEST!

Misterjay wrote: »
    Building starting mid 2013. Completed towards end of 2015. Best guess then would be probably no recruitment until late 2014, early 2015 EARLIEST!

Building was supposed to be starting now and finished early 2014.

They'd have been better off fixing up the sites the NIPS, PSNI and NIFRS had.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Misterjay wrote: »

There'll be a lot more "we're not recruiting" recruitment of transferees just like there was a few weeks ago which they very nicely kept out of the media.

I'd bet that they'll maintain the numbers by throwing the organisation open to transferees from any GB force. That way they won't be "recruiting" and the transferees only need around 5 weeks to learn the difference in legislation and they're on the ground. No bullshit PDP for them and just what the job wants: Experienced bodies, deeply discounted.

Shield wrote: »
    There'll be a lot more "we're not recruiting" recruitment of transferees just like there was a few weeks ago which they very nicely kept out of the media.

I'd bet that they'll maintain the numbers by throwing the organisation open to transferees from any GB force. That way they won't be "recruiting" and the transferees only need around 5 weeks to learn the difference in legislation and they're on the ground. No bullshit PDP for them and just what the job wants: Experienced bodies, deeply discounted.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77457991&postcount=73

Yep. That'll be them being assigned to their stations. The only big change most of them find difficult to grasp is Traffic legislation because like I said, there's not really any huge differences in any other legislation that we deal with.

Work starts on the 1st march 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Work starts on the 1st march 2013.

Any idea how long it will take to complete?

Advertisement