Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PSNI Training College

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Any idea how long it will take to complete?
    I didn't hear. But it's well talked about that 2015 would be completion.

Though these things always seem to run behind, so could run into early 2016. That's just my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

If Desertcreat is to finish in 2015, is it safe to assume that anyone recruited within the next process will be attending training in Garnerville?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

id say so.

I thought so too mate, considering as well that this process isn't to be as drawn out apparently as previous

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

oh really? That would be good the last time was long and a right pain! Where did you hear that?

• Advertisement

Family source, all I heard was that the process was being reviewed obv because there is no 50/50 anymore and that the previous process was under scrutiny due to the quality of recruits, again I don't know if it is 100 percent accurate but that is what has been said within the service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

It's in todays Belfast Telegraph that one of the parties up here may pull the plug on Desertcreat if it goes any further over budget.

I read that this morning but could not get a link.

Cheapest tender quote came back at 30 million over budget.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    I read that this morning but could not get a link.

Cheapest tender quote came back at 30 million over budget.

There should be a link tonight or tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Why go with a new college right now I'm just saying could they not invest the money into careers for the police, fire service, and the prison service, the rate it's going, desertcreat, if it does get the green light will be empty for a good while when its finished without new blood going into any of the 3 services, the prison service recruits once every decade or so lol, the fire service very rarely recruits and the police, well seems to be following that trend too, I know it's for active training for currently serving service men/women too but they have their facilities, but even still I say pump the money into new blood haha :P just wishful thinking on my part folks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Why go with a new college right now I'm just saying could they not invest the money into careers for the police, fire service, and the prison service, the rate it's going, desertcreat, if it does get the green light will be empty for a good while when its finished without new blood going into any of the 3 services, the prison service recruits once every decade or so lol, the fire service very rarely recruits and the police, well seems to be following that trend too, I know it's for active training for currently serving service men/women too but they have their facilities, but even still I say pump the money into new blood haha :P just wishful thinking on my part folks lol

I can't imagine if the new college gets the go ahead, they will leave sitting idle for too long. All the political & along with senior management in the 3 services will be keen to maximise their photo opportunity with the first batch of recruits starting training and/or starting training. When & weather, it gets the go ahead is the million pound question.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

The college wont be for the sole purpose of training new recruits. I have no idea about the prison service or fire service but in regards to the police it will let them close numerous places currently used for training to have everything at a central point for training serving officers. I'm sure the other two have the same idea in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

From reading the last 10 lines, i assume it is still going to go ahead but they will cut out a few of the "luxuries" to cut the costs i guess.

http://m.u.tv/News/PSNI-slam-police-college-designers/1362850a-a93f-4032-a46a-db3ca50b7deb?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Deputy Chief Constable Judith Gillespie says problems with the design company have been a major setback to Northern Ireland's new police training college.
    The site at Desertcreat near Cookstown is planned to become a world-leading facility for use by the police, prison and fire and rescue services.

"We are working to address that now with the design team and we're working through a bill of reductions and already identified potentially £14.5m of savings we can take out of the college programme without compromising its functionality or ethos."

UTV contacted Perkins and Will in New York but they declined to comment.

The 23,000 square metres Community Safety College will have a police station, fire station and prison and is expected to create between 1500 and 2000 construction jobs.

The estimated cost of the facility is currently £137m.

But the five consortia which bid for the contract told the project board it would be impossible to build a college for £103m. Most of the bids were between £135m and £141m.

UTV understands one came in at over £180m. Meanwhile the Executive wants the college to cost no more than £117m.

Judith Gillespie said only part of the £12m contract with Perkins and Will has been paid.

"They have provided a design and only part of the contract value has been paid to date, they haven't been paid that full amount," she continued.

"Perkins and Will have assured me that they are competent to go forward with the programme and in fact some of the senior members of that design team have been replaced."

Just seen that on UTV, really interesting, though hoping that i'll be one of the last to go through Garnerville lol, even if it is a busted up joint lol, just think at the amount of boots that have marched through that place...

2016 before the college is built!

So Garnerville it is for the time being for those being recruited over the year

PSNI: Desertcreat training college 'still £18m over budget'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22994103

• Advertisement

The more they delay it the more its going to cost!

@Niall_UTV: The new police college at Cookstown. David Ford and Edwin Poots are at loggerheads. Peter Cardwell has the exclusive. #utvl2n

@peter_utv: New revelations about the political row engulfing the troubled @desertcreat college project: exclusively on @UTVLiveTonight at 10.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Costs are scary! I'd love to know how the professional fees are justified!!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

I know! Hope they don't have to go cap in hand to get the funding for the extra 378. I know it's a clichéd opinion but it seems unnecessary and unjustifiable when there's greater operational need, fantastic facilities or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Absolutely agree.

I would love to see evidence of the man hours that have gone into the professional fees to date.

Scary how so many public sector projects overspend by so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

Another delay! It's really not going well

• Advertisement
Advertisement