Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legalities of getting a monkey

Options
  • 07-08-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

a friend of mine is coming home from africa after working there for the last few years. and he wants to bring home a monkey (i dont know what type)he rescued .. hes had her for the last 3 years and doesnt want to leave her in nigeria.. so if anyone can point me in the right direction of info for him..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

Information regarding the importation of pets (other than cats/dogs) to Ireland is available from the Animal Health and Welfare Division of the Department of Agriculture and Food.

Where to apply Department of Agriculture and FoodDept.:
    Special Projects Unit
    Floor 4 Centre
    Agriculture House
    Kildare Street
    DUBLIN 02
    IRELAND
    Tel: + 353 1 607 2827
    Locall: 1890 504 604
    Homepage:www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets
    Email:pets@agriculture.gov.ie

they need an import permit and other documentation. maybe someone from a zoo could be of more help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

shave it. Dress it in your sons clothes. And say he is a 5-10 year old boy depending on his size. Hehehe. But on a serious note primates are not suitable for captivity. Make your friend does his homework be4 bringing it home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Maybe contact a Zoo like Dublin Zoo? They are probably experts on this stuff. If she has been raised in captivity, she'd be better off coming with him rather than being left behind and probably dying if she can't look after herself in the wild or being put in a sub-standard Zoo or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would imagine the primate would have to be quarrentined when it arrives so that will cost several thousands of euros.

If the primate is on the endagered species list - it will need a cites number/paperwork to confirm it is legal to keep it.

Primates can be kept legal once its here - we have no DWA etc. I have kept marmosets before & have a 12 week old hand reared baby tamarin. If it was a parent reared animal I would not buy it till it was over a year old.

Advertisement