Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 having problems?

• 07-08-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

I'm in Belfast and neither of my O2 IRL will log on to any networks.....except T-Mobile and even then, there is no connection. Calls cannot be made or received.

Anything up on the other side of the border?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

culabula wrote: »
    I'm in Belfast and neither of my O2 IRL will log on to any networks.....except T-Mobile and even then, there is no connection. Calls cannot be made or received.

Anything up on the other side of the border?

I had to ring 02 today and it said that 02 were having coverage difficulty and that they are aware of the problem, that might be whats wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I had to ring 02 today and it said that 02 were having coverage difficulty and that they are aware of the problem, that might be whats wrong

Yes, I have since rung and it's the first recorded message to be heard. It seems it's pretty serious, affecting Irish subs in Ireland, the UK and in France. Been going on nearly 12h at this point, I'll be looking for some hefty compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

culabula wrote: »
    I'll be looking for some hefty compensation.

I never thought about that. Is there any customer charter for mobile service providers like there is for gas and electricity? i think with esb if you are off for a certain amount its €10 for first few hours and €8 after, once its a fault and not been notified. If phone companies had something similar it would be good, and they have different systems so its not like they go down much

davton wrote: »
    I never thought about that. Is there any customer charter for mobile service providers like there is for gas and electricity? i think with esb if you are off for a certain amount its €10 for first few hours and €8 after, once its a fault and not been notified. If phone companies had something similar it would be good, and they have different systems so its not like they go down much

In other, though less serious, outages involving GSM operators, I have always sought -and got -compensation. People have been trying to get me all day. It wouldn't be so bad if I could at least phone my mailbox and alter the message advising of say, my 3 iRL number. But, I can't.

Grrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Just dial into one of your mailboxes and change the voicemail greeting on it,
    PM sent

• Advertisement

I totaly agree with you, just should it not be a standard that is set by lazy comreg that they have to pay. For esb you dont have to request it, afaik its just refunded automatically to you if a fault occurs. Should we not have the same??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭gerrykiddy

At last a site with some info. I am in the UK and two days ago I started losing the connection. I still got the occassional text but could not send either data or voice. I put my sim in another phone but no different.
    Thats the easy part of the problem. The web site is now down and contacting o2 UK got info that there were problems. For such a major problem you would think that it might make teletext or news media.
    I agree with the com reg situation, poor info and no teeth.
    Come on O2 let us know what you know.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I heard about it on the news yesterday actually. Think it was on newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Well I'm in Dublin and I noticed problems as soon as I turned my phone on this morning. I thought it was a problem with my phone or card but maybe not. The phone beeped as if it were receiving messages but they were never displayed. After that I had a period where I couldn't send or receive texts or make or receive calls. Since then I've sent and received texts and made and received calls but messages I should have got from earlier haven't arrived. If I try to Check for new messages it comes back with Fail and the phone beeps as if receiving messages afterwards but they never arrive. It'd be nice if O2 could let us know what the story is.

gerrykiddy wrote: »
    At last a site with some info. I am in the UK and two days ago I started losing the connection. I still got the occassional text but could not send either data or voice. I put my sim in another phone but no different.
    Thats the easy part of the problem. The web site is now down and contacting o2 UK got info that there were problems. For such a major problem you would think that it might make teletext or news media.
    I agree with the com reg situation, poor info and no teeth.
    Come on O2 let us know what you know.

It's an utter disgrace; am now 72 hours without connect, contact or info.

I thought it had come back last night, but no. It is now logged on to O2 UK but no MO/MT calls are possible. Data is a no-no. 3 outstanding SMS came in when it logged back on, but that was it. One was "Welcome to Vodafone UK" and was 2 days old.

• Advertisement

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Just dial into one of your mailboxes and change the voicemail greeting on it,
    PM sent

Couldn't do that for the first 36 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alc

I'm in London and rang O2.ie about it and they said that the problem is with BT and has affected roaming on many networks (haha: the problem is *always* with another network, right!?). She said it had been going on since Wednesday, I only noticed yesterday though. She also said she had no information regarding when the issue would be resolved as it was entirely at BT's discretion to do anything about it!

Interestingly I am on a plan that allows me roam in UK as if I were in Ireland (ie: for all billing purposes I'm not roaming at all). When I asked if O2 would charge me on T-Mobile as if I were on O2-UK she said they couldn't, I relied with "you mean you won't?", she continued on with all the usual "can't"/"couldn't"/"not while you're on another network" blah blah blah. I'll be having a nice straightforward "bill me as O2 or I'll leave" conversation after my next bill.

edit - FYI landline numbers:
    • PayMonthly Customer Services: +353 61 203501
    • SpeakEasy Customer Services: +353 61 203345

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's a thread over on the O2 Customer Forum (here) which gives a list of affected networks. Would suggest using an alternative network (sparingly if your bundle / minutes usually allows free or whatever calls on O2 UK) and perhaps ringing afterwards to see if they can compensate you. Wouldn't bank on it, but I guess it depends on how you put it to them.

At least this way your business / work related calls won't suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Yeah my phone wont send text's it keeps failing, I recieved a text from my mate except there is 6 extra digits added on to his moile number so I was like what the feck is going on when I received it!!!

random wrote: »
    There's a thread over on the O2 Customer Forum (here) which gives a list of affected networks. Would suggest using an alternative network (sparingly if your bundle / minutes usually allows free or whatever calls on O2 UK) and perhaps ringing afterwards to see if they can compensate you. Wouldn't bank on it, but I guess it depends on how you put it to them.

At least this way your business / work related calls won't suffer.

Except that O2 IRL is not working on ANY UK network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@Davexirl
    Friend of mine is in Thailand and I had the same problem receiving from them .. the extra digits on the mobile number ... so maybe that list on the O2 Forum that I linked to is incomplete.

@culabula
    Well this seems to be contrary to the advice given by O2 Staff on the O2 Forum. I've not in the position myself so can't check it out so I'm gonna just have to take your word for it.

Davexirl wrote: »
    Yeah my phone wont send text's it keeps failing, I recieved a text from my mate except there is 6 extra digits added on to his moile number so I was like what the feck is going on when I received it!!!

Yes, I got one of those this morning - the normal number with 3 extra digits - and one I sent had my number displayed with extra digits on the receiving phone - although I've had some since from the same number and they're now OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And their bloody website is down (again:mad:):confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seems like o2 are just in crisis mode. I rang cause im having a weird problem with receiving texts (adds a load of digits to the end of the number texting me). I know there having a load of other problems to. Network and Power problems apparently.

random wrote: »
    @Davexirl
    Friend of mine is in Thailand and I had the same problem receiving from them .. the extra digits on the mobile number ... so maybe that list on the O2 Forum that I linked to is incomplete.

@culabula
    Well this seems to be contrary to the advice given by O2 Staff on the O2 Forum. I've not in the position myself so can't check it out so I'm gonna just have to take your word for it.

Well, as they write themselves "you are here" which is either a quote from John Lennon or they mean you ("The Subscribers") are here ("The Republic of Ireland"). In other words they ("The Staff") are not here ("The Occupied Territories").

So as of 5 minutes ago, I can state as a fact that my O2 contract has not functioned normally on any of the 'Big Five' networks for 73 hours and while it is currently displaying 'O2-UK' here in South Belfast, it is not able to actually do anything of any value.Changing as I have done to T-Mobile gives exactly the same result. Vodafone and Orange will not allow access. Three is well, Three.

My O2 Speakeasy SIMs simply will not log onto any network at all.

As soon as I am allowed I will be giving them what for on the forum.....

(Why are they blaming BT when it isn't working in France either.....?? (where I'm off to very soon. Rats.)).

• Advertisement

Even when it's up and running.....it doesn't. Unable to retain credit card details, unable to top up, takes forever to launch the phonebook, has been sending to the wrong numbers (in my case) for 18 months.

They can't even write in proper English on it, it's no surprise that they can't write HTML.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah o2 having major feck ups on txts for me.
    Friend told me the number he got was

+35386<restofmynumber>51127202

Dunno what 511 is, but I do know that 27202 is the network ID for o2-irl

Spankeh wrote: »

That's what I was getting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

511 i would think is the cell tower id?

I'm gettin 40127202 in Limerck

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Spankeh wrote: »

Same here, with end for me being 4112102

the website is back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Getting wierd digits after number here too.
    davton wrote:
    the website is back

Not for me

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Getting wierd digits after number here too.

Not for me

Sending texts just fine. Has been gone since late last night for me until a few mins ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Timing out for me - Wierd - Don't use phone much anyways so not too worried

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

davton wrote: »
    the website is back

still down for me.

Advertisement