Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 having problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

copacetic wrote: »
    still down for me.

Must be just the priority customers!

try this and see if it makes any difference, its a bit hit and hope but you might be lucky :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

Ah I suppose this explains why for the last few days of my trip to Canada I could connect to Rogers but could not call or txt anyone. When possible O2 should at least send out txt messages to tell people there are problems with the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

decsramble wrote: »
    Ah I suppose this explains why for the last few days of my trip to Canada I could connect to Rogers but could not call or txt anyone. When possible O2 should at least send out txt messages to tell people there are problems with the network.

haha oh im rolling on the floor with laughter, 02, their crap! this stint-what ever or whoever is to blame really has me put me off 02, their so bad lately and its sickening!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are times I am glad I am not an O2 customer. I was considering them for a contract phone but after reading this I would not bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

But it isn't possible to receive them....

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There are times I am glad I am not an O2 customer. I was considering them for a contract phone but after reading this I would not bother.

I'm walking to Limerick now to insert my contract phone in one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

culabula wrote: »
    But it isn't possible to receive them....

Oops yeah, like RTE doing an announcement on TV for Cork viewers to say the TV is currently off air in Cork :-)

But I was assuming that there must have been moments when O2 could get the network up long enough to send something out. Was the network completely down for that long? Hell even an email would have done considering every now and then I was able to get wifi to synch. I now see that for the last 2 or so days all I was doing with my phone connected to Rogers was running down the battery.

Oops yeah, like RTE doing an announcement on TV for Cork viewers to say the TV is currently off air in Cork :-)

But I was assuming that there must have been moments when O2 could get the network up long enough to send something out. Was the network completely down for that long? Hell even an email would have done considering every now and then I was able to get wifi to synch. I now see that for the last 2 or so days all I was doing with my phone connected to Rogers was running down the battery.

It's been off permanently (for roamers) since lunchtime on Thursday. They told me they had 'engineers' working on it many, many hours ago, Worst outage I've ever experienced.

As for RTÉ -come on now, that could never happen. You'll be telling me next that back in the 70s they had Ray Reardon on doing snooker tricks live from Dundalk.............on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I work for on 02 retailer shop. Have been having problems all day. So far, most of the problems have been temporarily fixed, at least. Some kinks still remain so just be aware.

At about four o'clock, most of the systems were back up on our end, but there was still some problems receiving text messages, registering phones, and topping up.

A lead time of 3am this morning has been assigned to completion by customer care, but thats as variable as the weather.

There is now a permanent technical team, who's job is to fix all the problems in the o2 mansion.... Hopefully, problems like this won't happen again.

nevf wrote: »
    I work for on 02 retailer shop. Have been having problems all day. So far, most of the problems have been temporarily fixed, at least. Some kinks still remain so just be aware.

At about four o'clock, most of the systems were back up on our end, but there was still some problems receiving text messages, registering phones, and topping up.

A lead time of 3am this morning has been assigned to completion by customer care, but thats as variable as the weather.

There is now a permanent technical team, who's job is to fix all the problems in the o2 mansion.... Hopefully, problems like this won't happen again.

Could you do activations?

• Advertisement

But you sound as though you're talking about problems on the domestic network? This thread is about the problems -i.e. TOTAL lack of service -for O2 Ireland's subs who are roaming. The situation is beyond critical.

But you sound as though you're talking about problems on the domestic network? This thread is about the problems -i.e. TOTAL lack of service -for O2 Ireland's subs who are roaming. The situation is beyond critical.

Its a joke now, for a company who are here so long, to go down like that for so long, is IMO rediculous... oh well...

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Its a joke now, for a company who are here so long, to go down like that for so long, is IMO rediculous... oh well...

And in addition, fail to mention or even refer to it on their wonderful, always-available website.....that same website they constantly refer you to when you complain about something, say roaming data charges for example.

It would cost you 20€ while roaming just to get to where those prices are listed..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 click here

Late into this (i.e. haven't read all of this thread). Just received a text from an O2 customer in Portugal, with added number 40326801.

click here wrote: »
    Late into this (i.e. haven't read all of this thread). Just received a text from an O2 customer in Portugal, with added number 40326801.

O Happy the O2 Customer who can send a Text While Roaming for they shall Have Extra Numbers appended! And o2 saw that it was good............

To add to the ongoing number anomalies, got a text from someone on O2 with 41127202 on the end of the number.

Sacred Heart, even joining their ruddy forum takes an eternity........

"Your account has been activated but you are currently in the moderation queue to be added to the forum"

.......7 hours later.........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sacred Heart, even joining their ruddy forum takes an eternity........

"Your account has been activated but you are currently in the moderation queue to be added to the forum"

.......7 hours later.........

I dont think they operate on weekends..

The forum is crap anyway.

As an o2 customer for many years, I find them excellent. The only issue I have is that if there are any network issues (and its common enough) it takes AGES to fix. The website is always okay when I use it but there are so many complaints against it - FIX IT for god sake!

Sully wrote: »
    I dont think they operate on weekends..

The forum is crap anyway.

As an o2 customer for many years, I find them excellent. The only issue I have is that if there are any network issues (and its common enough) it takes AGES to fix. The website is always okay when I use it but there are so many complaints against it - FIX IT for god sake!

Yes, they usually aren't the worst but four days of no roaming service is well, 'beyond the Pale' (pun very definitely intended).

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Could you do activations?
    Slightly.

I was able to get to the point where we could do the bank details check, but when I went to enter in Imei or Sim number, that was a total block. It wsn't so bad though, because I knew that if the customers bank details went through okay, then I could safely sign it up, and actually register the phone on our system tomorrow.
    I understand your situation, but the problem isn't only when roaming, or domestic - It's everything on the network. From topping up to Roaming, there was problems, and one by one they're been fixed.

The Forum was helpful, and I must say, it did come in handy rather than constantly trying to refresh our systems all the time.

Even back to the days of Digifone, o2 were having these problems. Eventually digifone was acquired and renamed accordingly to o2, and some of the problems were fixed(too rushed imo). Now that o2 has been acquired and renamed to Telefonica, I can only but presume the problems will be fixed. Telefonica, from what I heard, aren't the sort of network that will take an issue like this lightly.

It's time they designed a proper server arcitechture, and put in proper software - Take their time and do it correctly - thats not what happened last time. If they can do that, then o2 will have a service to be proud of.

The technicians/people contracted to redesign the o2 website(or should I say facelift), their next job was to fix the internals of the systems. Looks like they won't even be able to begin that for another few days until they source and repair the problem.

I, too am in a similar situation, but I'm not as urgent to have a working phone as everyone else is. The one advantage, that Vodafone have over o2 is that when Eircell was been demolished, Vodafone had a tried and tested system ready to have in place within a matter of days(from across europe). o2 started from scratch and rushed too much while they were configuring their core system back in the day.

Until then, for everyone in this thread, I can do sweet f#ck all, but sympathise with the situation people are in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Service for me and everyone I know has been pretty random for the last few days. The extra digits yadda yadda. I wonder what kinda of problem can effect the whole of their network like this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Does anyone know how is actually doing the website? I know a designer that has done work for o2 in the past, but never their website. Iv heard its a group of lads out in the TSSG Research Centre in Waterford that have been contracted to do something on the website, not sure if its the whole thing.

I understand your situation, but the problem isn't only when roaming, or domestic - It's everything on the network. From topping up to Roaming, there was problems, and one by one they're been fixed.

If that is the case, then their blaming it (the roaming issues) on the likes of BT in the UK is simply not true? The recorded message only specifies the roaming issue and does not mention any domestic problems and refers to 'third parties' causing the problems.

I find it incredible that this major problem is being treated so lightly with practically zero information or, it appears, interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭Dubliniensis

Arrived in the US yesterday and can't get a signal on either T-Mobile or Cingular/ATT... Anyone else any updates? Can't get through to O2... Grr!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Roamers - can you please post here if/when the issues are resolved for you?

As soon as signups work again I was planning to switch my Vodafone contract to O2 (for an iphone, why else) but this thread has put me off because I'm travelling to the US next week with work and need to be fully sure I'll have coverage.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Karsini wrote: »
    To add to the ongoing number anomalies, got a text from someone on O2 with 41127202 on the end of the number.

Happened me yesterday also.

Their website is crawling today!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Karsini wrote: »

I'm on O2 aswell, had the same hassle yesterday with txts taking three attempts to send and get extra numbers at the end of txts. thought it was just my phone 'til I found this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are any of these issues affecting Tesco as they are piggy backing on O2?

My O2 just logged on to Orange UK and 3 important SMS came in, 2 days old. Someone attempted to call me at exactly the same time but before I could reply it fell off the network again (not that I want to take a call on Orange UK).

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Does anyone know how is actually doing the website? I know a designer that has done work for o2 in the past, but never their website. Iv heard its a group of lads out in the TSSG Research Centre in Waterford that have been contracted to do something on the website, not sure if its the whole thing.
    Dunno, but I'll find out for you.
    If that is the case, then their blaming it (the roaming issues) on the likes of BT in the UK is simply not true? The recorded message only specifies the roaming issue and does not mention any domestic problems and refers to 'third parties' causing the problems.

I find it incredible that this major problem is being treated so lightly with practically zero information or, it appears, interest.
    Ring 1909. There introductory message means it's due to a power failure. Their arcitechture was poor anyway, but trying to reinstate the communicatiosn with the roaming networks has proven difficult due to lack of support from other networks. Thats what I've been told from when I was talking to the CAST department yesterday.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    Are any of these issues affecting Tesco as they are piggy backing on O2?
    Yes, SMS servers are running in collateral with o2, and will be affected. As far as I know, Tesco roams off other networks outside of Ireland, so Roaming shouldn't be a problem however.

Advertisement