Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bt 24mb - Or stay with eircom

Options
  • 07-08-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

story boys

my upgrade for eircom is due on sat from 2mb to 3mb at a price of 57 including line rental per month..complete rip off bolloxs

i called bt and they can offer me 24mb and 2.6mb upload i think.

its sounds to good ro be true its even 1 euro chepaer with line renta including...

my major thing is :

A = I take <SNIP> to the cleaners i download about 35gb a month

B = i play the 360 quiet a bit...

Do they throttle??
    Will me 36O lag?

has anybody any experience with them.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

story boys

my upgrade for eircom is due on sat from 2mb to 3mb at a price of 57 including line rental per month..complete rip off bolloxs

i called bt and they can offer me 24mb and 2.6mb upload i think.

its sounds to good ro be true its even 1 euro chepaer with line renta including...

my major thing is :

A = I take <SNIP> to the cleaners i download about 35gb a month

B = i play the 360 quiet a bit...

Do they throttle??
    Will me 36O lag?

has anybody any experience with them.

cheers
    No their 24mb package has no cap and they would only throttle you if you were downloading 500GB+ (fair usage policy). I haven't heard any problems with them re gaming or torrents so I don't know what you're waiting for. You are very lucky to have that package available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

Go for it. have it here in limerick - you wont get the full 24mb though , unless you live next door to the exchange, im 3 kms from it - getting around 14mb down/1mb up - still decent for pirate bay etc!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I wouldn't mind 14 down/1 up. That should be coming my way tomorrow or sometime soon at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Just make sure your line can handle that speed, check your line stats. Maybe your line can cope with faster speeds.

Also, check your modem, I think you said you were with Eircom so you probably have a Netopia, only 2247 v7.7.rx will work on BT's exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It's definitely worth doing. Cheaper and faster and with an unlimited cap. Eircom products are even less competitive than they used to be.

BT have bad billing and customer care so make sure to check your bills each month. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

got for it mate.

there's a thread in the broadband forum about the BT LLU upgrades with all the info you need to find out what speeds to expect from them based on your current broadband line stats which you can get from your modem.

the bt website lists a 'free wireless modem' on the 24mbps package, which as someone moving over from eircom i'm sure you could get hold of. they'd have to give you one anyway if you don't already have an adsl2+ capable modem anyways.

you should drop eircom like a clingy ex-g/f! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

BT seem to be the better isp.

Eircom should really update their website, and have the new packages shown.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lads no mentioning of sites that link to copyright material, names of torrent sites removed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Ditch Eircom. Most expensive BB package on the market. If they gave free line rental, I might consider it.

Don't tell us about what you're downloading or from where, we want to help but we don't want to be accessories to anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Just wanted everyone to know that BT do indeed cap there download limit on the 24Mbps connections.

I got a letter in the door saying I had been upgraded from my 8Mbps account which I think said it was unlimited download (subject to fair use). Anyway, I replicated over a large database from work (50Gigs) during the next couple of weeks and guess what.... BT cut my connection down to 128k!!!

I have spoken to them on the phone and they have confirmed they have done this. No warning was given. Apparently i know have to wait, possibly until the start of September, maybe longer, until it is speeded up again.

I think this is bad form, especially as they gave no warning.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

50gigs? Thats not that much really considering that on the 6mb package you get 30gigs.

I easily do 50gigs currently on my 2mb line a month (business so no cap at all) though over a month and over a couple of weeks i guess is different.

That said i'll probably switch as the 24mb is actually slightly cheaper than my current 2mb setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Yes, 50Gigs. When I called they told me the limit was 3 Gigs. I am not sure if the reason they have now throttled my connection is because I was complaining a bit as my line drops once a day or so and does not reconnect iself (you need to do it manually).

It's fairly annoying though. Fair enough if they want to cut you off (well not that fair but I would get over it) but the fact that they give no warning and just cut you down to a 128K connection is annoying.

For me the fact that is is capped really takes away from the extra speed, like you don't need that speed to browse websites - you only will use it if you are downloading.

Cheers

Advertisement