Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what hybrid to get

Options
  • 07-08-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

Sorry forum is probably full of these threads but anyways.. I've moved to dublin and have started to commute to work by bike. It's 25k round trip and i'm looking to buy a hybrid for it. I get a corporate discount of 12.5% with http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie so I'll probably get it there. I've a 600..675 budget but might stretch it if theres an outstanding recommendation.

If i was to go with a lapierre is it worth getting the 300 over the 100, whats the difference? I've to apolgise again because i know shag all about bikes. There's a few giant FCR x's in my range as well.

If there's good bikes at good prices to be had outside of the above i'm welcome to suggestions also.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Got myself the FCR 2.5 and am very happy with it. Then again, new to cycling so nothing to compare it to but havent heard a bad word about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Cycling n00b here too - got the FCR 2.5 just recently and am loving it so far.
    Saved 150eurobucks by getting it up North - worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Token- if you get 12.5% off in CSS (are you sure it includes complete bikes?) I reckon you would be better off buying there for the backup support etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

ya it includes full bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

for a 25km roundtrip you should spend as much as you can afford, it'll be worth it in terms of reliablilty and comfort. the difference of the rcr300 vs 100 is the carbon forks, which reduce the road buzz and make it a bit comfier on your hands arms and wrists. In the same category as the 300 is the Giant FCR 2.5, and probably also the specialized sirrus entry models. I know CSS do the Giants, dunno about the Specialized though. You can then look at moving up to the RCR 500 or FCR 2 or similar. For that sort of distance I'd probably also start to consider a racing bike (e.g. giant SCR4.0/3.0 or equivalent), but it's a personal preferance really as to whether or not you're comfortable on drop-handled bars. I dunno if your budget is for the bike only, or includes extras like locks, mudguards, lights, rack etc which you will need to get. But generally you should spend as much as you can (within reason of course!), cos you really do tend to get what you pay for. Carbon forks are definitely worth the extra.

• Advertisement

I allocated that much just for the bike. I'm willing to go higher though if its recommended, which it seems it is :). I think i'd prefer the upright of the hybrid. I've barely cycled in the last 8 years since i started driving and that was on a mountain bike so i've no cycling experience with a racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I have the FCR 2.5 and have no problems so far, great for my commuting needs....I got mine in cycle superstore, got 10% off....they did try push the lapierre 300, but it felt a bit heavier than the 2.5, but it was a nice bike but more expensive so could not justify it...

Hybrid is a good way to go if you have not cycled in 8 years I reckon,.....you will fly past those on their mountain bikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

The RCR300 has road gearing whereas the RCR100 has a more mountainbike setup. I had to replace the cassette on my RCR100 and would definitely go for the RCR300 if you have the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I have the RCR 300 and tbh I wouldn't really reccomend it.
    Shifting with the sora would break your heart. I can't shift down to the granny wheel when going up a steep incline although it will shift on the flat - go figure!

If comfort is a factor then the carbon forks don't really absorb the shock if you're cycling over poor roads - although padded gloves do a good job reducing that.

It's light, reasonably fast but I prefer my ageing Specialized Hardrock for commuting. Even though it's heavier and slower it feels more comfortable and more "solid" on the road.
    The 300 is good for longer trips for exercise, training etc.

Just my €0.02.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I have the RCR 300 and tbh I wouldn't really reccomend it.
    Shifting with the sora would break your heart. I can't shift down to the granny wheel when going up a steep incline although it will shift on the flat - go figure!

If comfort is a factor then the carbon forks don't really absorb the shock if you're cycling over poor roads - although padded gloves do a good job reducing that.

It's light, reasonably fast but I prefer my ageing Specialized Hardrock for commuting. Even though it's heavier and slower it feels more comfortable and more "solid" on the road.
    The 300 is good for longer trips for exercise, training etc.

Just my €0.02.
    If that's the case then look at Tiagra components upwards, e.g. the FCR2
    I've used my FCR2 on the Ring of Kerry and the Wicklow 200 - admittedly I have moved it to drop handlebars, but the components are all still Tiagra, and I've not had any issues shifting, even on the steepest of climbs in wicklow.
    That said I don't understand why you can't shift DOWN, cos the spring wants to bring it there itself. I'd have a look at the derailleur limit screws and the springs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 odonovanb

I recently got this for €370 including p&p from bikes2udirect.com

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id37351.html

The 2008 version is a bit more expensive (£386 + p&p)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id42433.html

I am very happy with it so far.

A couple of websites I found useful were:
    www.jejamescycles.co.uk
    www.holcroscycles.com
    www.bikes2udirect.com

I've decided on either the Lapierre RCR 500 or the Giant FCR 2. The Giant is 70 euro cheaper for me though so is there a reason to pick the Lapierre? Does anybody have experience with both these bikes?

i have the fcr2, as I mentioned above, and have no problems at all with it.

I think i'll go with the giant fcr2 so, thanks ken. I'll be sticking with the upright handle bars but for curiosity sake what different do the dropdown's make? Your in a better position to apply more force?

token wrote: »
    I think i'll go with the giant fcr2 so, thanks ken. I'll be sticking with the upright handle bars but for curiosity sake what different do the dropdown's make? Your in a better position to apply more force?
    Generally a bike with drops will have a different geometry also and place you more forward and down, balancing your weight more between saddle and bars (and of course pedals where hopefully you are applying some force.)

Apart from that though, drops have (1) a default vertical rather than horizontal hand position, which many find more natural; (2) more hand positions, including the flat horizontal one you get on flat bars; (3) a more aerodynamic position down in the drops which is a godsend on a windy day (or just if you want to go fast :D)

If you get flat bars get bar ends which cost only €10-20 and will give you an extra hand position that I found very good for climbing.

A flat bar hybrid is a very good choice though if starting out cycling, especially a "fast" one, it is less intimidating and there is less room for getting it catastrohically wrong. I cycled hybrids for over 10 years before I got my first road bike and got the sizing a bit off on that I think as it ruined my back. Back to the hybrid for another few years before finally converting to drops and then getting a proper road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

For what it's worth, I got my first bike with drops earlier this year. I had always had a preference before that for flat bars. Initially it took a little getting used to, but now I would ride drops out of preference- I resent riding my old commuter with flat bars. It's soon to be replaced with another bike with drops. :D The drops feel much more comfortable to me, and as blorg mentions, I like the variety of hand positions they offer, and also really appreciate being able to tuck out of the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

lukester wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I got my first bike with drops earlier this year. I had always had a preference before that for flat bars. Initially it took a little getting used to, but now I would ride drops out of preference- I resent riding my old commuter with flat bars. It's soon to be replaced with another bike with drops. :D The drops feel much more comfortable to me, and as blorg mentions, I like the variety of hand positions they offer, and also really appreciate being able to tuck out of the wind.

+1 on that. I actually have my drops in an unusually high position due to a back injury. I ride with my hands in behind the top of the brakes and find I'm in a happy medium not too high, not too low, and like breaking it up with holding onto the flats of the bars when I need a breather or to cruise. Would never go back to flat bars.

How much would it cost to put in drops say after a few months?

around 250 euro or so :( the brifters are the most expensive bit.
    far better off getting them from the off

Like Ken, I too converted, but after having the hybrid for several years. It is not really worth considering before you get the bike, only if you already had one (and even then it's marginal, might be better off selling the bike.) Apart from the brifters you have to change brakes (presuming you had canti bosses) and probably your front derailleur.

• Advertisement

yous have me thinking about getting a racer now *shakes fist* What is the lower position like if your wearing a backpack though?

fine for me. I'm carrying a laptop on my back daily for commuting, and I'd usually hit the drops into a headwind. Usually on the hoods though, cos then you can brake quickly.

yous have me thinking about getting a racer now *shakes fist* What is the lower position like if your wearing a backpack though?
    It's OK as long as you don't have too much into the backpack. Up to around 2.5kg is OK, 4-5kg is probably managable. I have carried 20-30kg (once) and that was painful, really pressed bits you don't want to be pressed into the saddle and gave a very intimate relation with the road surface. If for commuting though I'd consider something that will take a rack though (a lot of entry level racers will do this.)

@Ken- you should have better braking performance in the drops (more leverage.) Being able to brake from the hoods at all is a relatively modern occurence (mind you the braking on your bike is a bit sub-par TBH, I would really consider mini-Vs :>)

it's not so much the braking performance as much as the reaction time for me - I can get to the brakes a lot faster on the hoods. Also can shift a lot better on the hoods too, usually if I'm braking hard I also shift down a couple of gears at the same time...

is staying on the hoods as high as using normal handlebars? if it is the racer would seem the logical choice as you can switch to whichever catches your fancy at the time.

staying on the hoods is probably a bit more like being on the bar-ends of a flat bar'd bike. On the tops is more like being on a normal handlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I usually carry a backpack, and it's fine, although I don't carry huge weight.
    If you get into doing longer cycles at all, you'll be very glad of the drops IMO. And as it's more enjoyable all round, you'll probably want to cycle more too :D Re the hoods vs tops of the bars, once you get used to the hoods they're very comfy. I tend to stay on the hoods around town for stop start riding where I need quicker access to the brakes, and when I hit longer stretches I'll put my hands wherever is comfortable. Mainly am on the drops to either get out of the wind on the flat or when descending.

I wouldn't be carrying much weight just a change of clothes mostly. You's have convinced me to get a racer. I'm looking at the Giant SCR 2. Whatever I'm getting i'm picking it up tomorrow anyway :)

• Advertisement

do people put mudguards on racers? Trying to imagine what it looks like :)

Advertisement