Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what hybrid to get

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I was wondering the same myself- I'm probably going to get some race blades for mine, they're removable mudguards that you can clip on and off.

If you're picking the bike up tomorrow, make sure they spend a bit of time getting you on a bike that fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

You could put full mudguards on a racer if the frame allowed for it, it'd look something like this perhaps

attachment.php?attachmentid=38297&stc=1&d=1134270397

Or you could opt for whatever clip-on options you could find. I used to have a plastic strap-on mudguard that attached to the frame just behind the front wheel, and one that attached to the seatpost - both removable and very handy. As mentioned above, race-blades are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

What's the commute like? Are you going through town (stop-start) or are you commuting across subarbs or into town?

My recommendation is always make sure you end up with something equipped. When deciding your price should include mudguards, lights, pannier racks, a bell and possibly a bag too. Helmets, mirrors and a carry-pump are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

token wrote: »
    do people put mudguards on racers? Trying to imagine what it looks like :)
    Reckon I'll be sticking my race blades on for today, I'll take a photo for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

the commute is rathfarham to citywest. There's cycle lanes majority of the way but most of the cycle lane is up on a path and not on the road. On a racer id probably stay on the road as much as possible. Theres not too much stop starting, more of case of slowing down a bit mostly. Theres a few roundabouts and a couple of turns/lights. Apart from drop handlebars what else would the difference be between a racer and hybrid. I've narrowed it down to the giant FCR 2 hybrid and the giant SCR 2 racer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Depends on what kind of person you are in some way too: if you're happy to put up with having to be careful with the road bike in some places in order to get the rewards of what will just be a much more fun ride, go for the road bike.

If you'd be worrying the whole time about doing damage to the road bike and are more interested in completing the commute in as comfortable a manner as possible, go for the hyrbid.

For me, I always time my commute and compete against my time, keeps it fresh and I just love cycling a road bike, it's just more fun. You'll be more crouched forward in the road bike so mightn't suit a big weight on your back (though I carry 12kg regularly with no hassle), but to be honest, you can setup your road bike to be a bit more vertically positioned to by tilting the drops forward etc. - when you're cruising on open roads you can always hold onto the horizontal parts of the bars as I do sometimes and you're pretty vertical then.

I have the SCR 2.0 and really like it though I'm no expert on bikes, but it's a very nice ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

the commute is rathfarham to citywest. There's cycle lanes majority of the way but most of the cycle lane is up on a path and not on the road. On a racer id probably stay on the road as much as possible. Theres not too much stop starting, more of case of slowing down a bit mostly. Theres a few roundabouts and a couple of turns/lights. Apart from drop handlebars what else would the difference be between a racer and hybrid. I've narrowed it down to the giant FCR 2 hybrid and the giant SCR 2 racer.

That's a decent enough commute. The wheels on both bikes are the same according to the spec. Actually the specs are pretty similar for both, main differences are the bars and the shifters.

I'd say the main difference, apart from the drops, will be that with the road bike (racer) you have a slightly more forward position than on the hybrid. You might think this would be more uncomfortable, but once you get used to it's very comfortable- most of the people doing serious road mileage on here will be on drops.

do people put mudguards on racers? Trying to imagine what it looks like :)
    I did indeed put them on this morning, here you go, mudguards on a standard racer:

th_IMGP5925_resize.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

^^ nice saddle, looks really fresh. Mine seems to have attained a battered, black, saggy look... and Ive got saddle-sores up the wazoo... well, not quite up the wazoo but around it fo sho

@Beans- Regarding the saddle-sores, I presume you mean just hardness/callousing rather than the infection? Could just be that it is going to take a while to break in. I do find the B17 while very good for shorter distances is not as good as the Swift or Swallow for really longer (150km+) distances; I got a bit sore having done a 230km on the B17.

Did you use Proofide on the saddle? Do bear in mind that the Honey will significantly darken with age/use; this photo shows my well used B17 together with my new Swallow, both are the same Honey colour.

120px-Brooks_B17_Swift_Swallow.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

lukester wrote: »
    most of the people doing serious road mileage on here will be on drops.

OT... but how far is serious road mileage?

I had a look at some bikes yesterday. They try to sell you lapierres before anything else which I figurered they would from reading other threads. They were pushing the Lapierre S-Tech 400 '08 over the giant scr 2. The main reason they said was that the lapierre has more higher quality components over the giant. Lapierre make the frames but source the components else where, where as giant try to do everything. There's a 160 euro difference in price.

I'm going in again during the week to make my final pick and get the bike configured for me. The lapierre looks really nice but i think it might be too flash for its own good for commuting. It would really stick out sitting on a bike rack. It's gone way over my initial budget as well so I'm thinking I'll stick with the giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Yeah they pushed the Lapierre on me too, I think it is due to the fact that they hold the dealership and supply on them, they also mentioned the components but the bike was more expensive so I would hope so...I still went for the Giant in the end, just go for what you think is best for you.

OT... but how far is serious road mileage?
    I guess beyond the point that flat bars are optimal for comfort, although you will certainly have cases of people on flat bars doing further than people on drops. Most (but not all!) people doing sportive-type cycles like the Wicklow 200 will be on drops whereas you will find alot more people on flat bars doing the Wicklow 100, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

how do you get a 12.5% discount if you dont mind me asking

The company i work for have an account with them so i get corporate prices. I'm heading in after work today to get the bike. Either the giant scr2 or the lapierre s-tech 300. The s-tech 400 is going too far beyond my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I make it that there's only €44 difference in price between the Lappiere S-tech 300 and the GIant SCR 2.0. The Lappiere has Sora components, the Giant has Tiagra - no brainer there, the Giant takes it hands down. Unless I'm mistaken too, the more knowledgeable lads than me on here generally rate Giant above Lappiere.

As it happens, I have a 2007 SCR 2.0 I got for €775 in November and it's a lovely bike, great value at that price too, though still seems like a decent option at that price for the 2008 model (which doesn't seem to have any significant differences).

I have a Lappiere hybrid too and it's a very nice bike too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 karl17

Hi Guys, just a quick question read through the previous posts but has anyone any opinion on the bikes on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320283991242&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BID_IT&refitem=320284094645&itemcount=

For the price they are I assume they are not the top of the range but for a commute from city center to tallaght would they suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Delivery to Ireland: £99

I've bought the giant. They dont have my size in stock so I've to wait a couple more days before I get it. I'll give ya's an update after I've had a few trips on it. Thanks everybody for the help and recommendations.

• Advertisement

I've bought the giant. They dont have my size in stock so I've to wait a couple more days before I get it. I'll give ya's an update after I've had a few trips on it. Thanks everybody for the help and recommendations.
    Good choice, I'd say you'll be happy with it.

quick update if anyone's interested

I got the giant scr2 and I'm really happy with it. I'm glad you's convinced me to get the drop down handle bars. They are great for putting your head down and pounding away at the pedals especially if it's down a decline and on those windy days. My commute round trip is down to 55 minutes now from an initial 60 minutes, should close 50 minutes in the next few months with a long term goal of 45 minutes although that will be very tough..practically a sprint given you have to stop at lights and slow down because of traffic in the way, pesky drivers! :) At 55 minutes with school just back i'm saving a good bit of time vs the car.

Again thanks for the info in helping me choose the bike.

Advertisement