Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed - Home network & cross-over cables

Options
  • 07-08-2008 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Ive run Cat5 cable through my new apartment and when I terminated the cables today the cable tester I had displayed them as cross-over cables
    so Im guessing I followed the wrong wiring code on the terminals. Can these be left in place for connecting to a hub or do I have to do them all again? :confused:

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Well I am not 100% sure but 10/100 Ethernet looks ok
    See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_cable

This is because only 2 of the 8 wires are used.

But for Gigabit Ethernet 4 are used, so I guess it depends if the connector can sense it.
    See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1000BASE-T#1000BASE-T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Im sorry but I believe you are incorrect. In 10/100 you use 2 pair 4 wires and in Gigabit you use 4 pair 8 wires. The reason its probably coming up with that fault is possibly due to the fact you wired the Modules according to TIA568A. This is the American wiring system. we use TIA568B (british) code. In one of the module makes I use both codes are printed on the module, they reverse our or/wh and gr/wh. Have a look at your modules and check your wiring.

You proably shouldnt leave these connections like that, you may regret it in time. Some switches auto sence etc but your better off getting it right..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Cheers for the feedback guys, much appreciated. After further research it seems that FusionNet is right, I found the wiring diagrams for TIA568A and TIA568B and compared them to the plug modules I used (they have both codes printed on them). I had a set that I bought from one place which had the british standard nearest to the punchdown connectors which I used and the other set I bought from B&Q had the american coding standard nearest to the punchdown connectors.

The problem I have now is that all the wires are pretty short (I know I should have given myself lots of room to work with) Rewiring the plug modules is going to be tricky, can I just switch the or/wh wires? Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/tricks on how to get a wire out of a punchdown connector? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

can you not just patch with crossover cables that should make them straightthrough

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Sorry, guess you are all right indeed. I have some equipment that works with cross over but most doesn't.

Maybe cut the connectors off and repatch, exactly what Fusionnet said, way more future proof and secure.

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,

Thanks a million for the feedback, redid the wiring for the modules and now for straight-through for everything. :-)

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi Dave,

Glad your sorted and sure thats what we are here for.. Now could you imagine terminating hundreds of those connections, it gets tough after 6 hours!!!

I love my job somedays haha..!

@FusionNet - I've done small networks for offices before and it was enough to put me off. Hundreds seems like a nightmare, its a tough job alright but I guess someone has to do it - rather you than me though :-P Once again thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

hundreds?!!!!!!! I shudder at the thought of it!

Advertisement