Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub licence restrictions question

• 07-08-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Quick legalish question...on another forum I saw a post saying:
    "on its regular license, alongside the usual stuff like maximum occupancy, trading hours, etc, is a stipulation forbidding the wearing of team colours. So by refusing a grown man wearing replica kit, they were merely enforcing the terms of their license. The barman told me that on those occasions (Italy games in WC/Euros, Brazil WC games, HEC latter stages) they have to apply for an exemption.

I've seen that in nightclub licenses before, but never in pub ones (although, admittedly, I don't go reading them as a rule!)... is this a new thing? "

My thoughts were:
    Never heard of this before either. Very strange restriction though. Can this type of restriction also be obtained for people wearing hoodies/baseball caps/goth clothing/ethnic clothing/etc, etc, etc or is it just for team colours. Where does the line get drawn? Bordering on discrimination really.

Also, how is team colours defined in law I wonder? Does the clothing have to display a team crest or does just looking like a "jersey" count? For example, there are plenty of "designer" brand rugby shirts out there...would they be banned also under this restriction? So many questions...maybe time to shoot off to the legal forum as I am curious about this license restriction.

Anyone know information about this kind of licensing restriction or where I could find out as this all seems like a very vague rule to me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have seen pubs put up such restrictions. I imagine its down to (a) avoiding trouble between competing team's supporters (b) avoiding mob mentalities (c) not putting off other customers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Yes but they are usually seperate signs?

This apparantly is on the actual license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Victor wrote: »
    I have seen pubs put up such restrictions. I imagine its down to (a) avoiding trouble between competing team's supporters (b) avoiding mob mentalities (c) not putting off other customers.

As Castie said, it is on the actual license apparently...not just the bar owners policy. Apparently when they want to allow in people wearing "team colours" during big matches, they have to apply for an exemption.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

although the guy saying it i have found out has been telling a few fibs regarding some other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Never heard of a pub licence containing such a condition.

If a special exemption is bieng sought the District COurt might impose some conditions re management of premises especially if there are objectors or a request from Gardai.

It is more likely that this is a policy of the licensee because wearers of the particular jersey have been unruly in the past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement