Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent pay back/allowance/relief - Does it matter who makes the claim?

• 07-08-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what the correct term is but I want to claimt ax back for rent paid from July last year.
    The rent is being paid by myself and girlfriend and I'm wondering if it matters who makes the claim?
    In particular I'm wondering if we would get more if the one getting paid lower wages makes the claim? i.e. is the claim based on income tax?

And if the claim can only be paid from January - January?

Also my girlfriend is returning to college in Sept so will it make more sense at the end of this year for her to make the claim?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a tax-relief payable at the standard rate (20%) on the first EUR1,800 of rent (in 2007) and EUR2,000 (in 2008).

(i.e. a max of EUR360 in 2007 and EUR400 in 2008)

You can claim the relief by completing Revenue Form RT1 here

Your girlfriend can also make a seperate claim, for her portion of the rent (i.e. try to maximise the amount due back between you- as you are treated as strangers for tax purposes).

Yes- it is January through to December (the tax year).

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Great thanks, so it's not based on income.
    I presume one can still claim for 2007 and relief is only payable at end of year i.e. 2008 moneys will only be paid post 2008 no matter when you make your claim for 2008.
    Thanks.

Great thanks, so it's not based on income.
    I presume one can still claim for 2007 and relief is only payable at end of year i.e. 2008 moneys will only be paid post 2008 no matter when you make your claim for 2008.
    Thanks.

Its not based on income- but you must have paid tax, in order to claim tax relief. You can only retrospectively claim relief- correct.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I have filled out the RT1 form to cliam back a few bob.
    2 questions...

1. What is the difference between a Private Landlord and a Non-Resident Landlord?

2. Where do I send it?

A private landlord is any landlord who is letting private residential accommodation (as opposed to commercial properties or any other properties likely to come under the 5 year rule).

A non-resident landlord is one who is not tax-resident in the country (in which case the tenant is legally obliged to withold 20% of the rent and forward it to the Revenue Commissioners in part-payment of any taxes that may be due on the landlord's rental income (the landlord in turn is expected to furnish a tax return declaring the income, and may use the 20% already deducted by the tenant to offset any potential tax liabilities (they may also be entitled to a refund if their tax due is less than the 20% already forwarded to the Revenue Commissioners)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Cheers.
    Got the address too.

*waits for money*:)

Advertisement