Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in the North.

Options
  • 07-08-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Is it worthwhile, or a lot of hype in the media, are there any real bargains to be had, is it worth the journey from the midlands, say to Newry or Enniskillen? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

All great if you live in Navan or Drogheda. From the midlands the roads are crap and you'll spend your first hour just getting as far as Kells or Cavan(if you're lucky).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

went to Belfast for the first time a few months ago by train. It was a bank hol and the city was empty. Everything shut down early and the streets in the city centre were quiet. Went to some sorta new centre that was all hyped on posters in the city as there was nothing else to do and well it looked great but i found it to be more pricey then Dublin when the exchange rate was taken into account. i'm sure there are other places to go but unless you are getting white goods or buying a lot I dunno if it'd be worth the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

For food and clothes and drink its definitely cheaper to go up the north, was in strabane a few weeks ago and got some wine for 4 pounds which would be €10 usually in the south, with the current exchange rate it still works out cheaper than the south! Magazines, food, some dvds, cds and clothes, from what i saw they are cheaper!!! Was also in derry and there is some valu but i think the bvest valu is to be found in the likes of asda, sainsburys, and the big english retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Luuca

Myself and Sister took at trip up to Newry a few weeks ago to do the grocery shopping. We went to Buttercrane and the other shopping centre accross the road. She got pampers nappies and baby food for half the price compared to the South and that was after the exchange rate was taken into account.

We also stocked up on sports gear in O'Neills accross the road from Sainburys - I noticed some of the tops in a sports shop in Tullamore last week and they were 13 E dearer.

So yeah, take a trip

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Thanks for the replies - have to tell me sister about the cheap nappies and baby food LOL!!! Definately gonna get the booze for xmas up there this year!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Occidental wrote: »
    All great if you live in Navan or Drogheda. From the midlands the roads are crap and you'll spend your first hour just getting as far as Kells or Cavan(if you're lucky).

I went up there on sunday - went from athlone to dublin via M6 and then M1 to Newry. It only took 2hrs 15mins even with all ireland final traffic.

Was well worth the spin, booze is sooo much cheaper, wouldn't be bother with groceries but we got a lof of bits for a party we're havin next month. My wife got a lot of clothes there too and they were a lot cheaper than down here as well - even in the same shops (i.e. Next, M&S etc)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

and another (funny) thing. Shops only open at 1pm and close at 6pm.

90% of the cars in the car park were southern reg as well!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

north is MUCH cheaper. best bet is definately asda enniskillen. sainsburys is a rip off (in comparison to other shops in the north, but still cheaper than the south!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I hear there's a very good outlet a few miles north of Newry just before Banbridge, it's called the Bridgewater Outlet, it's just 13 miles north of Newry so could also be worth a vist.

http://www.the-outlet.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

we go to Strabane from Donegal every month. Also Argos electrical goods are cheaper North

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

charlieIRL wrote: »
    and another (funny) thing. Shops only open at 1pm and close at 6pm.

90% of the cars in the car park were southern reg as well!!!!:D

it's the law

Advertisement