Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I live in a flat and generate a small amount of rubbish ? ok to dump ?

Options
  • 07-08-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to take the rubbish in a small plastic bag and put it in a public litter bin on the street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

The short answer is no.

But if you insist, make sure you dont dump anything that has your name on it, such as an envelope or letter or something. You will likely get a fine for littering if they can trace it back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Ah you shouldn't really. If we all did that, the streets would be overrun with rubbish. It's bad enough as it is.

Do you not have bin collection where you are? There are designated bins for household waste, which the binmen will take away.. generally speaking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bring it to work, and shove it into a bin there. Otherwise, get a bin tag, and leave it out on bin day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

u2gooner wrote: »
    make sure you dont dump anything that has your name on it, such as an envelope or letter or something. You will likely get a fine for littering if they can trace it back to you.
    If litter is placed in a litter bin then the depositor cannot be fined simply because their name and address is on a letter etc. There is nothing illegal about opening a letter on the street and then putting it in a bin. The depositor of the litter would have to be seen knowingly putting waste, which was generated elsewhere, into the said bin.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Be very careful. Like the guy above said, if they can trace it back to you, they will.

A friend dumped a load of old crap and household rubbish at a bottle bank before and received a fine a couple of weeks later. He'd left one of his wedding invitations in amongst all the rubbish.

He's a Garda too so major embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Phlann wrote: »

Unbelievable. Is he a Dub Phlann?

The OP has a good point though. When I lived on my own my bin was practically empty every week as was my (also single) neighbours. I wonder does anyone share bins and the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm thinking of sharing with my friend. I have a black wheelie bin, the last time I had to put it out was April 2007, it's getting near full now, but it probably wont be until September or October that I'll have to put it out, so that's about 18 months. The bulk of what's in the black bin is just ashes from the fire. I recycle and compost everything, it's amazing how little actual waste you can generate :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cormie wrote: »
    I'm thinking of sharing with my friend. I have a black wheelie bin, the last time I had to put it out was April 2007, it's getting near full now, but it probably wont be until September or October that I'll have to put it out, so that's about 18 months. The bulk of what's in the black bin is just ashes from the fire. I recycle and compost everything, it's amazing how little actual waste you can generate :)

Agreed, I live in a house with 2 other people and at most our bin goes out once a month but the green bin.. I wish they'd come every week it's always full!

Green fingers I have :D

lightening wrote: »
    Unbelievable. Is he a Dub Phlann?

Nope, although he works here. It happened back home (probably shouldn't say where exactly) one weekend when he was very hungover and feeling a bit lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

A friend dumped a load of old crap and household rubbish at a bottle bank before and received a fine a couple of weeks later. He'd left one of his wedding invitations in amongst all the rubbish.

:D
    ha, he derserves it! I hate the way the bottle banks are over run with rubbish bags / boxes people use to carry the bottles. Although some of them are run badly, my local one has all glass bins, then one tiny general little bin, always surround by rubbish! Couldnt they just have another bin there for receyling carboard..? makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A friend dumped a load of old crap and household rubbish at a bottle bank before and received a fine a couple of weeks later. He'd left one of his wedding invitations in amongst all the rubbish
    That is a totally different scenario as your friend simply dumped his rubbish where their was no bin. Placing rubbish with a name and address in an actual LITTER BIN is an entirely different matter than dumping it at a bottle bank and I reiterate what I said earlier.
    If litter is placed in a litter bin then the depositor cannot be fined simply because their name and address is on a letter etc. There is nothing illegal about opening a letter on the street and then putting it in a bin. The depositor of the litter would have to be seen knowingly putting waste, which was generated elsewhere, into the said bin.

I'm well aware of the differences between the two situations, thank you. And you can reiterate anything you want, you're still wide of the mark.

The OP clearly said he was going to bag his rubbish and then dump it. It'll be precisely the same consequences as in my story if he puts any personally identifiable info in a bag along with his household refuse and dumps it in a public bin!

They're not stupid and unless he's got some way of arguing that somebody else removed the bag from the bin, opened it, placed a letter addressed to him in it, tied it up and put it back again, he's going to be fined.

If he challenges it (eg if he argues the bag may simply have been open when he dropped his letter in) they'll bring in CCTV evidence if possible to prove it.

So again, if you're going to do it, don't leave any letters or anything addressed to you in there. They really are serious about catching people dumping and there's no sense in taking the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

My local COCO has gotten several convictions based on this alone - if it's amongst a bag of rubbish, of course they can. Opening and dumping a single letter on the street is a different, irrelevent story.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

surely they would have better things to do than trace the owner of a small bag of rubbish and fine them

The OP clearly said he was going to bag his rubbish and then dump it.

? Really?

That's what it seems to say... unless I'm hugely mistaken. Said he was going to put it in a bag and put it in a litter bin...

Why, am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

no

That's what it seems to say... unless I'm hugely mistaken. Said he was going to put it in a bag and put it in a litter bin...

He asked is it ok to put his household rubbish in a litter bin. He didn't say he was going to dump anything. So, yeah, you are mistaken!

Anyway, in my opinion this is better than dumping it in a river or a park.

:confused:

Most anal post I've ever seen.

Its only my opinion on dumping or putting your rubbish in a litter bin! Relax, It's Sunday :o

• Advertisement

I meant the first part... kind of irrelevant, like!

But yeah, never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

lucozader wrote: »
    surely they would have better things to do than trace the owner of a small bag of rubbish and fine them
    I'd rate illegal dumping pretty highly on their list of priorities. A small bag turns to a big bag turns to a trailor load.
    Domestic rubbish goes in the domestic collection, not in public litter bins causing them to overflow. Anybody who thinks otherwise is <SNIP>.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

cianclarke wrote: »
    I'd rate illegal dumping pretty highly on their list of priorities. A small bag turns to a big bag turns to a trailor load.
    Domestic rubbish goes in the domestic collection, not in public litter bins causing them to overflow. Anybody who thinks otherwise is <SNIP>.

Ah come off the stage. Do you think there are rubbish detectives who sift through waste in public bins? Nah, they just chuck it into the truck and off to the dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

No.

That really pisses off the person who emptys it, and if you are caught, you will get a hefty earfull, possibly a fine

The Dublin forum used to be pretty relaxed. I am totally against rubbish and have tackled people face to face about it (not from behind a keyboard) one of them a Gard and many of them tough nuts.

The OP only asked a question, he didn't do anything.

There are a lot of people riding these lately in the forum.

highhorse.jpg

I think we need to relax a little bit and be a little bit friendlier.

(not aimed at anyone in particular)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

lucozader wrote: »
    Is it ok to take the rubbish in a small plastic bag and put it in a public litter bin on the street.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

lightening wrote: »

I think we need to relax a little bit and be a little bit friendlier.

(not aimed at anyone in particular)

A forum is a ...well a forum, for discussion and debate. If we all agree with each other then the threads simply become short, dull and tedious. For example:
    "I think Ireland are really crap in the Olympics"
    "I agree."
    End of thread.
    See, dull and tedious. The forums thrive on arguments.

I enjoy the disputes and watching two or more people with different opinions debate. It's only when the debate sinks to the adolescent level of name calling that it's time to take it to Thunderdome where we can go watch the tantrum if we want to.

[Friendly]OldGoat :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement