Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built my first wheel

Options
  • 07-08-2008 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

Built my first wheel tonight. From start to finish took about 2 1/2 hours (needs to be tensioned though). Specs of the wheel are

Hub : Shimano DN-3D70 (generator hub)
    Spokes : DT Champion
    Rim : Mavin EN321 Disc

I used the book written by Roger Musson which I found to be excellent. It took away alot of the bull**** that's around wheelbuilding and has some good ideas as to what you can use as tools (including a guide to building a good truing stand and using cotton swabs as nipple drivers).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Needs photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

out of interest for a man who's just about to build his fixie wheels and has a pair of superfluous open sport rims which might just go for wheels for the normal bike:
    • where did you get your spokes?
    • how much did you pay for them?
    • what truing stand did you use?
    • have you got a big silly grin on your face and think you're the dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

stuf wrote: »
    out of interest for a man who's just about to build his fixie wheels and has a pair of superfluous open sport rims which might just go for wheels for the normal bike:
    • where did you get your spokes?
    • how much did you pay for them?
    • what truing stand did you use?
    • have you got a big silly grin on your face and think you're the dogs?

Pictures to come!

I got my spokes in my LBS here in Newbridge. I paid 60 cent per spoke. I don't have a truing stand but I'll use the wheel in fork method. As for the big silly grin, well, not yet :) Maybe when I start riding it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

more questions....
    what lacing pattern(s?) did you use?
    how did you determine the spoke length you needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

kenmc wrote: »
    more questions....

when i built a front wheel i used a cross 3 pattern. i determined the spoke length i needed by asking the guy in the shop i was buying them in :o
    it took time, i made mistakes but eventually got it all perfect.
    but i didnt have a truing stand. so when i tightened it all up by feel and touch, there was a slight kink in it. had to get it straightened out by the shop for 15 yo yos. bah.

wez, still waiting on the photos of your self-built truing stand - PM me if you want me to host them for you.

kenmc wrote: »
    more questions....

For 36 holes, I think you have to use three cross. 32 holes can be two or three cross.

Length was determined using the calculators above, I think I took my final measurements off wheelpro.co.uk, but it's worth trying them all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

blorg wrote: »
    Needs photos!

And a time-lapse movie with a Kraftwerk backing track!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I've built three wheels so far. Its very satisfying when you get it right.

I used Sheldon Brown's website for the wheelbuilding. Its so well explained, a five year could do it. OK, well a 10 year old then....

I used a three cross pattern for all three jobs. Seems the way to do it.

just built my first one.

Mavic A719 rims
    DT Swiss Competition Spokes
    Formula Track Hubs (silver version of ones on boards.ie standard bowery)

Fitted with a tan-walled 700x32C tyre (for the retro look) which is just scarily massive - might have to go down to 28s at some stage.

Used Roger Musson's book too and it has loads of good info in it and goes into a bit more method detail that the bearded one. Not sure if Sheldon says it but the tip about aligning the spokes fantastic - you can immediately see the benefit.

th_DSCF0811.jpg th_DSCF0812.jpg

can't build the back one until tomorrow because I was given three longer than necessary spokes so I need replacements - my chainline's screwed anyway so need to go to the shop for a bb.

• Advertisement

Nice one. Did the stand help much in the end?

Stand definitely helped - I've trued wheels on my frame with the brake pads before but there's just a lot more control with the stand.

Stupid things to avoid when wheel building:
    1. Make sure you rotate the hub the right way before lacing cross spokes - otherwise your valve will be between two crossed spokes and not two parallel ones - doh! Still pumpable but it would be better the right way.
    2. When you get all excited about getting a tyre and tube onto your lovely new wheel don't forget to put rim tape on or else your tube will spontaneously puncture and freak you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Hey stuf I remember bidding for that frame on Ebay!!! Building a fixie?

I found a frame for myself after that Dunelt. Fixie is coming along grand but bought the wheels on On-One rather than building them myself. Would love to get into wheelbuilding but not for a while, too impatient!

Hey stuf I remember bidding for that frame on Ebay!!! Building a fixie?

I found a frame for myself after that Dunelt. Fixie is coming along grand but bought the wheels on On-One rather than building them myself. Would love to get into wheelbuilding but not for a while, too impatient!

Yep - I'm in full build mode now - just waiting for my handlebars to arrive and I'll be on the road although I seem to have mislaid my brake levers which were bought ages ago.

The frame's in great nick but the paint job is a bit dull. Would love to get it powder coated. My chainline's there now after I got the right BB in Cycleways on Saturday. The chain's a bit jittery with 3/32" on the front and 1/8" on the back and a 1/8" chain. Will give it a go but I'll probably be replacing the back cog and chain soon enough and having 3/32" all round.

The whole thing's a bit of a money pit with much of the money going to An Post and the Royal Mail it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

I'll be running a 1/8" chain with 1/8" sprocket but could only find a 3/32" chainring for a reasonable price.

The cost of the thing has escalated beyond belief at this stage. Still I guess I've found out about things I wouldn't have known had I not decided to do it.

Don't forget to throw up a picture of the completed bike!

Advertisement