Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone lines needed for better broadband speeds

Options
  • 07-08-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hello all

I was wondering does anyone know if it is your own phone line that needs to be upgraded to get better broadband speeds, or is it everyone's phone line that is connecting up to your own phone line from your town's exchange that needs to be upgraded.??? Because at the minute i can only get a crap 2mb:( on my phone line. So i was wondering will eircom plan to upgrade the phone lines, because i heard if your a customer with bt you can put in a request to get your line upgraded by them. Now does anyone know their is that true about bt upgrading your phone lines if you request it???. Also could someone please help me out with the phone line question up at the top of the page please.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

At least you can get something, there are thousands of others can't get anything. Your line will not be upgraded, no matter how hard you complain. Post up your line stats and we'll tell you how bad your line is, log in2 your router on 192.168.1.254 -> expert mode -> statistics -> dsl, post the stats here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

no offence, but are you serious? a lot of folk here( myself included ) cant even get get the standard 2Mb pckage with decent pings/uploads or downloads with NEW phonelines. Eircon doesnt give a $hit about your line quality, you just keep paying the rental and theyre happy and thats as far as they will go to providing you a service. Im sorry mate but its a joke and you have 0 chance in hell of getting them to replace the line

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the BT upgrades you're talking about are moving your line in the eircom exchange from eircom's equipment to BT's, it won't change the quality of the line between your house and your exchange. that part of the line is and always has been (and probably will always be) owned by eircom.

not all exhcnages have BT equipment in though, just a few of the bigger ones.

if you want more detailed information, check out the BT LLU upgrade thread and the eircom resellers thread on page one (for the foreseeable future) of the broadband forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If the moons in the right phase and you get a decent engineer then if you order an additional line (Ericom will do nothing with an existing one) you can sometimes get then engineer to do a decent job to get the new line as clean as possible.

Might be different for home lines but for businesses the engineers will often ask if a second line is for Broadband. Still jut a matter of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Most lines give poor speed because they are too far from the exchange. A new line will be exactly the same distance and will likely give you the same speed.

(Check and see what your neighbours get, if its all similar then its down to the length of the line - not the quality).

So if you want faster speeds - try a wireless provider or move closer to the exchange :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Be happy you can get any DSL, basically your speeds depend on lenght of your phoneline and quality of it both inside and outside your premises, LLU won't make a different neither will changing to another DSL provider.

Eircom have to meet no minimum legal standard when it comes to your phoneline other then it has to support a 28.8K dialup connection...thats it :)

Advertisement