Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone get emails asking for you to open an acount

Options
  • 07-08-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

anyone get emails asking for you to open an acount. got an email asking if i would be the benificeary (spelling) open an account ant money would be lodged and i woul get a share of it. just wondering if this is a commom thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's called spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

freebird23 wrote: »
    anyone get emails asking for you to open an acount. got an email asking if i would be the benificeary (spelling) open an account ant money would be lodged and i woul get a share of it. just wondering if this is a commom thing.
    Very common scam. Look up advance fee and associated scams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

i even got a contract to sign and email back. no money needs to change handsit says. i have heard of emails about asking for you to send money to claim prizes and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Did the email go something like this?

"OFFICE OF THE NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISE
    TO THE PRESIDENT FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA

GET BACK TO ME AT YOUR EARLIEST CONVINIENCE

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am Lt. Gen. Peter Olu, National Security Adviser to the President Umar Musa Yar’ Adua Federal Republic of Nigeria. I decided to contact you because of the prevailing security report reaching my office and the intense nature of policy in Nigeria. This is to inform you about our plan to send your fund to you via cash delivery. This system will be easier for you and for us. We are going to send your contract part payment of US$2.1. Million to you via diplomatic courier service.

Note: The money is coming on two security proof boxes. The boxes are sealed with synthetic nylon seal and padded with machine. This fund was brought to us from America; it was meant for our Local AFEM market. But since the money was not used, I will use my position as the National Security Adviser to the President to send this fund to you.

The boxes are coming with a Diplomatic agent who will accompany the boxes to your house address in your country. All you need to do now is to send to me

Your full name
    Your house address
    Your age
    Your marital statue
    Your identity such as, international passport or driver license
    Your contact phone and fax numbers,

The Diplomatic attached will travel with it. He will call you immediately he arrives your country's airport. I hope you understand me.

I will let you know by the special grace of God when the boxes are airlifted.

Note: The diplomatic does not know the original contents of the boxes. What l declared to them as the contents is Sensitive Photographic Film Material. I did not declare money to them please. If they call you and ask you the contents please tell them the same thing Ok, i will let you know how far I have gone with the arrangement. I will secure the Diplomatic immunity clearance certificate that will be tagged on the boxes to make it stand as a diplomatic consignment.

This clearance will make it pass every custom checkpoint all over the world without hitch. Confirm the receipt of this message and send the requirements to me immediately you receive this message. If you need more information about this, I will give you the contact of the diplomatic agents for more information on how to carry out the plan."

I have a folder full of these things, I think the oul Nigerian/indoneisan internet scam is hilarious. but obviously not for anyone who falls for it. Its just another method of identity theft, if they rob any money off you its a bonus for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

this is the first email

Good Day
    I am Mr. Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen, GBS, JP Chairman of the Hong Kong and
    Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.

Our Client, Gen Zaiki Taha Abdel, a businessman and also who was with the
    Iraqi forces, made a fixed deposit, of Twenty Four million Five Hundred
    Thousand United State Dollars only in my branch, a number of notices was
    sent to him, before the war which began in 2003 and also after the war
    but, no response came from him. We later found out that the General along
    with his wife and only daughter had been killed during the war in a bomb
    blast that hit their home.

After more inquiry it was also discovered that the late Gen. did not
    declare any next of kin in his official papers including the paper work of
    his bank deposit. What bothers me most is according to the laws of my
    country at the expiration of 6 years the funds will be revert to the
    ownership of the Hong Kong Government if nobody comes for the funds,
    Against this scenery, I have all the information needed to claim these
    funds and I want you to act as the beneficiary of the deposit, there is no
    risk involved in this matter, as we are going to adopt a legitimate method
    and the attorney will prepare all the necessary documents.

All I require is your honest co-operation and I guarantee that this will
    be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any
    breach of the law. Please accept my apologies, keep my confidence and
    disregard this email if you do not appreciate this proposition I have
    offered you.

All confirmable documents to back up the claims will be made available to
    you prior to your acceptance and as soon as I receive your return mail Via
    my email addressand I will let you know what is
    required of you.

Your earliest response to this letter will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Mr. Vincent Cheng

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Its a scam...and really its hard to believe you didn't know it was a scam. Heres another one for the laugh...I especially liked the bit "was a member of the Helicopter Society".....helicopter society??...just how random is that lol;)

"Address: 33 Bedford Row
    London WC1R 4JH, England
    ALAN ORGAN & ASSOCIATES
    LONDON - UK.

Attention

On behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the estate of Late
    Engr.Jürgen Krügger. I once again try to notify you as my
    earlier letter was returned undelivered. I wish to notify you that late
    Engr. Jürgen Krügger made you a beneficiary to his WILL.

He left the sum of Thirty Million, One Hundred Thousand Dollars
    (USD$30,100.000.00) to you in the Codicil and last testament to his WILL.
    This may sound strange and unbelievable to you, but it is real and true.

Being a widely traveled man, he must have been in contact with you in the
    past or simply you were nominated to him by one of his numerous friends
    abroad who wished you good. Engr. Jürgen Krügger until his death
    was a member of the Helicopter Society and the Institute of Electronic &
    Electrical Engineers.

According to him this money is to support your humanitarian activities and
    to help the poor and the needy in our society.
    Please if I reach you as I am hopeful, endeavor to get back to me as soon
    as possible to enable me conclude my job. I hope to hear from you in no
    distant time. Note: You are advice to contact me with my personal email
    address:
    Email: barralanorgan02@live.com

I await your prompt response.

Yours in Service,
    BARRISTER ALAN ORGAN.
    PRINCIPAL PARTNERS: Barrister Aidan Walsh, Barrister Markus Wolfgang, Mr.
    John Marvey Esq, Mr. Jerry Smith Esq"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I often wondered why the people who circulate these things bother thinking that surely nobody would fall for them. But then an old house mate got one a while back and while he did smell a very large rat he had this lingering doubt in his mind. i.e. maybe, just maybe its real and he was throwing away an amazing opportunity. No amount of warning on my part about there being no free lunches would dissuade him.

I wonder no more. The scammers need only place that “but what if” doubt in the occasional mind and its $$$ for them. But then, maybe their doing society a service. Its undoubtedly good that fools and their money are separated at every opportunity. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This has nothing at all to do with Waterford... Ill move it to Consumer Issues which is the most appropriate forum for such an email.

Topic Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

scam scam scam..... stay away from this.....
    if they not looking for money up front, they are after your bank details so they can empty your account... seriously this stuff is all over the net...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

There was an article in the paper last year about a pensioner who got caught out. Her excuse was that was usually so careful, but because the language and grammar used was for once correct, she thought it was genuine.

I once got an email saying I had won the Irish Lotto, and yet didn't even have the correct address on the email, and the phone number was a UK mobile. At least have the common sense to have an Irish number, even if it redirected ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

its a scam and anyone thick enough to fall for it deserves to loose any money they give the scammers

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

AFAIK it's got nothing to do with money, it's a phishing exercise. They send you this email, if you write back saying "money plx", "buh?" or "STOP EMAILING ME!" then they know your email address is in use, and send it on to various spamming companies.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I got one the other day from a Dame someone or other in the states who wanted to leave me a 3 million legacy just cos I was a nice person. It made a change from having kings in Nigeria write to me. Generally I get about 5 per week as I have an email addy on a website.

Seriously, these are a well known and very silly type of scam. Always ignore cold emails like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

freebird23 wrote: »
    i even got a contract to sign and email back.

How do you sign a contract, and then email it?

If you've nothing better to do for a while, you should really reply stating how interested you are in helping them out. I find it's best to compose your reply, then use Babel Fish to translate it into German, then translate the German back into English, and send this. Usually it'll be barely comprehensible, which just adds to the fun. Throw in random and unrelated words for extra effect.

This is what the above paragraph looks like when doing this
    If you' VE anything better to do for one while should not answer real you, indicating, how interests you are, if you help them out. I find it' to send s best to exist your answer to then use Babelfish to translate in order to translate it in German, the German back into English then and this. Normally it' ll is hardly understandable, which adds straight the fun. Throw in the occasional and without reference words for extra effect
    lugha wrote: »
    I often wondered why the people who circulate these things bother thinking that surely nobody would fall for them.

Greed > Common sense. Simple as that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Wouldn’t it be fun if you were rich and evil to start sending out one of these e-mails, with the God awful spelling and grammar and seriously implausible stories and everything. The whole works.

And then stump up a big bucket of cash to the first punter that took you seriously and replied!

That’d learn us cynics. :p

Hey. Maybe, just maybe ........ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

lugha wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be fun if you were rich and evil to start sending out one of these e-mails, with the God awful spelling and grammar and seriously implausible stories and everything. The whole works.

And then stump up a big bucket of cash to the first punter that took you seriously and replied!

That’d learn us cynics. :p

Hey. Maybe, just maybe ........ ;)

Best "I just won a huge lotto jackpot" idea ever!

I'm making a note of this.... :D

Advertisement