Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Training Galway

Options
  • 07-08-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Any recommendations of a good trainer, city area? Don't want a home one, they seem to be a waste of time because I want some weights involved

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

James O'Donnell is very good, I'm currently meeting up with him once a month and he's done a program for me which updates at the end of every 4 week cycle.

i'll pm you his phone number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Another big thumbs up for James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Try some of the guys up at the Galway City Gym, some serious weightlifting going on up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cian11

Heard one or two good and bad things about James so I think I will give him a miss, but would never publicly criticise him, unfair on already a tough job! City gym is ok but a lot are not qualified and more people just lend a helping hand every now and again, want a full time PT. Heard a lot about Tommy French, Paul Kelly and Dave Gallagher, any experiences or hearings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

cian11 wrote: »
    Heard one or two good and bad things about James so I think I will give him a miss, but would never publicly criticise him, unfair on already a tough job!

You will hear that with everyone, good luck finding a flawless trainer.

• Advertisement

what do you need a full time trainer for? no motivation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Heard one or two good and bad things about James so I think I will give him a miss, but would never publicly criticise him, unfair on already a tough job! City gym is ok but a lot are not qualified and more people just lend a helping hand every now and again, want a full time PT. Heard a lot about Tommy French, Paul Kelly and Dave Gallagher, any experiences or hearings?

what do ya need a personal trainer for dude??

have a look on the sticky over in fitness there, there are some guys that know what they are talking about!
    there are countless websites/website forums that can assist you also;)

Just want a pt for 1/2 times per week, meant by the full time referring to city gym, you will see them one week then not the next.
    Fitness forum is good but its good to have a knowledgeable qualified person beside you for the hour, good to keep the program on track and the technique flawless. So again any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Know this girl through a friend.
    Sound girl and is well into fitness, she is highly qualified
    http://www.sarahthorntonpt.com

Just want a pt for 1/2 times per week, meant by the full time referring to city gym, you will see them one week then not the next.
    Fitness forum is good but its good to have a knowledgeable qualified person beside you for the hour, good to keep the program on track and the technique flawless. So again any other recommendations?

i hear ya man, i need to check my form for deatlifts, bent over-barbell, what are your goals and how long have ya been training for?

• Advertisement

Training for a year or so, im quite light so wanna bulk up the upper body. Have met a few trainers but still unhappy, rang a few yesterday and few more this morning, when i have gone thru everyone i will let you know my opininons

Oh and the recommendation on sarah thornton, home studio she has, very very basic, would not suit the male needs of weights :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Was in GCG this morning and about 9 of the Connacht Rugby Team were in there, man o man serious weights!:)

Ok so I have talked to a load of personal trainers in the last 2/3 days and here are my thoughts. Am going to say first name only to protect somewhat of the identity incase its any bit negative. Also including others I have met since I have started training. Remember this is just my firsthand opinion.

Mary - useless, no knowledge

Sarah - nice person, limited ideas/equipment though

Paul - good guy, motivating voice, would be a good trainer

Joanne - average but I know she is doing well, home visits, expensive

James - nice guy, mixed feeling though from word of mouth though

Tommy - booked out, reputation of being top class

Clare - best one in my opinion, highly intelligent, knows alot about every sector and specifics. Very expensive.

Dave - friendly and probably my pick. Extremely knowledgeable in a lot of different areas, enthusiastic, competitive prices. Had of lot of ideas for me and made me think of fitness in a different way, motivating.

Susan - not friendly, decent knowledge but no enthusiasm

Andrew - average, nothing special

Adrian - nice guy and good general knowledge

Mike - Mr. Motivator but getting out of the game, recommended Dave

Thanks everyone for all the PMs and feel free to comment on my opinions, hope I have not offended anyone :)

Training for a year or so, im quite light so wanna bulk up the upper body. Have met a few trainers but still unhappy, rang a few yesterday and few more this morning, when i have gone thru everyone i will let you know my opininons

Oh and the recommendation on sarah thornton, home studio she has, very very basic, would not suit the male needs of weights :o

i'm doing the same myself with the bulking at the moment as i'm quiet light and have put on about 8 pounds in the last 2 weeks alone since i have integrated glutamine and udo's choice esa's,ya prob already know this and excuse my ignorence(this may help ya) but are ya eating 6 meals a day and eating a1gram of protein of per 1 lb of weight ya are?

also essential fatty acids are fundamental, your diet should be 40% protein, 40%carbs and 20% essential fatty acids.

what gym are ya dude?

hope i'm not coming across as arrogant by the way just trying to help ya with your goal..

In NRG. Ya i have started eating more and upping the calories, trying to eat every 2-3hours. Do you have a personal trainer?

Cheers for the advice aswell

nope!

i have a few helpers though, one of my best mates brother works with st. helens lads over in england in the magners league there another of mate was on the galweigens side there last year and almost broke through so i'm gonna grab im for the gym and he can show me how my form is for squats and deadlifts(always paranoid i'm pulling my back the wrong way so just want security on that myself)

check out this site dude,it covers pertty much everything and is very concise and informative, also what program are ya on?

http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/

it can be hard to eat 6 meals a day after a big night of drinking though, yesterday for me it was tough cos i was in halo knocking back triple jagerbombs after a few pints of bulmers, not smart for gaining mass as its EXACTLY what your body doesn't want or need, get your supps off www.nutritionconnection.ie also very cheap and free delivery too;)

stay away from tony quinns, cowboys! supps are a third the price over the 'interweb':)

also have a look at this site too, it gives video demos of all excercises and is very informative, iya can actually ddownload the shole site if ya don't have acess to internet always.

http://www.exrx.net/

Had my first personal training session this morning, really enjoyed it, i will be sore tomorrow tho :pac:

Very professional and very motivational, felt full of energy afterwards, was great, rarely feel like that after a session in the gym

Just a quick update on it, still going to the personal training sessions and am actually starting to bulk a bit!! :eek: :P supposedly my posture was partially not helping me which i would have never noticed on my own.
    September starts monday so all ye lazy bums better make some goals and catch up on me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭milktwosugars

Rachel Boyle, unreal. I've taken a few of her group classes and PT sessions. She's amazing, especially for women (me and my mum) cause you end up chatting and having a laugh. She has her own like small gym in terryland so its nice and private, like you don't feel too insecure. She gives you apples afterwards. It's just a genuinely nice experience. There's plenty of weights aswell and you end up getting all toned but still feminine...i dunno- she could explain it better. Personally I prefer a female personal trainer, and imo rachel is one of the best in galway.
    Her website is www.terrylandfitness.com I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Buy from the supplement factory, 29.99 for 5lbs of protein, 9.99 for 1lb of creatine mono, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

For the original poster, congrats on going with a PT, and I hope it keeps going well for you. Its great to see someone not buying into the rubbish that PT's have very little to offer and it can all be done with Youtube and or books. However I do have issue with you (and sorry I didn't see this earlier)
    Ok so I have talked to a load of personal trainers in the last 2/3 days and here are my thoughts. Am going to say first name only to protect somewhat of the identity incase its any bit negative. Also including others I have met since I have started training. Remember this is just my firsthand opinion.

Mary - useless, no knowledge

Sarah - nice person, limited ideas/equipment though

Paul - good guy, motivating voice, would be a good trainer

Joanne - average but I know she is doing well, home visits, expensive

James - nice guy, mixed feeling though from word of mouth though

Tommy - booked out, reputation of being top class

Clare - best one in my opinion, highly intelligent, knows alot about every sector and specifics. Very expensive.

Dave - friendly and probably my pick. Extremely knowledgeable in a lot of different areas, enthusiastic, competitive prices. Had of lot of ideas for me and made me think of fitness in a different way, motivating.

Susan - not friendly, decent knowledge but no enthusiasm

Andrew - average, nothing special

Adrian - nice guy and good general knowledge

Mike - Mr. Motivator but getting out of the game, recommended Dave

Thanks everyone for all the PMs and feel free to comment on my opinions, hope I have not offended anyone
    but why protect identities if you manage to confuse people:( What I mean is my wife and myself are both qualified in personal training and yet we are NOT the Dave and Joanne you mention above BUT no one is to know that from keeping the surnames absent. I don't think people working in the industry are THAT thin skinned that you would have to do that. My wife has OVER 28 different qualifications in health and fitness and has worked in a wide area including lecturing as well as working with individuals, elites and teams and is FAR ABOVE average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 skylar98

Hey cian, not jumping on your back but noticed your first post was the 7th late evening, the last on the 9th, not alot of time to get the info on all these trainers "firsthand" I have been to a personal trainer in the past to help me work through a leveling off period, all PT (qualified ) have their good points and to be honest in any business it is easy to sell something to someone less educated in that area, it is all about confidence. Just because someone is "expensive" does not make them good. Thomas (i presume Thomas French) is outstanding however i take issue with the way you have "named others" this is there lively hood, i hapen to know some of the other PT that you mentioned and to be honest two of the names you have mentioned are leagues above in qualification AND experience, maybe they can tell a genuine person when dealing with an enquiry?? so tbh it really depends on the person and what you are looking for. To get a base in your weight program you should look at a well stocked gym GCG being the best, they have no issues with you taking your session (with your PT) in the gym so you would have same person every time. I really do not feel that a forum is the place to make such "generalised" statements without at least having had a proper consultation with someone personally, or maybe i am wrong and in two days you have met /consulted and made a WELL informed decision?

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    For the original poster, congrats on going with a PT, and I hope it keeps going well for you. Its great to see someone not buying into the rubbish that PT's have very little to offer and it can all be done with Youtube and or books. However I do have issue with you (and sorry I didn't see this earlier)

but why protect identities if you manage to confuse people:( What I mean is my wife and myself are both qualified in personal training and yet we are NOT the Dave and Joanne you mention above BUT no one is to know that from keeping the surnames absent. I don't think people working in the industry are THAT thin skinned that you would have to do that. My wife has OVER 28 different qualifications in health and fitness and has worked in a wide area including lecturing as well as working with individuals, elites and teams and is FAR ABOVE average.

Sorry Dave just looked at what i could find over the few days. Personally i thought you were just a MuayThai and martial arts instructor! Learn something every day! I just kept surnames private because incase anyone was offended and to give people just a little insight on MY opinion. Everyone gets praise at some stage so hope nobody was offended.
    And skylar, I had met others and heard alot about some before so that helped my judgement. As i said just my opinion :)
    Lets just hope everyone takes advantage of Galways good depth of talented PTs :D

Oh and just to avoid confusion (re:davejoyce post) my personal trainer is Dave Gallagher. He has really helped and by the looks of his other clients he gets good results, I would recommend him to anyone, great guy

My wife has OVER 28 different qualifications in health and fitness and has worked in a wide area including lecturing as well as working with individuals, elites and teams and is FAR ABOVE average.

is she hot?

Its great to see someone not buying into the rubbish that PT's have very little to offer and it can all be done with Youtube and or books.

are you refering to this thread dave?
    please refresh my memory on who stated that 'personal trainers have very little to offer'?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I'm a personal trainer myself,Working alongside Tommy F. ,he is one of top trainers in Galway and has top class private gyms in Oranmore and Mervue.

Although never trained with him myself Ive heard good things about Dave G.
    Dave J. and Joanne J. are also top class trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

please refresh my memory on who stated that 'personal trainers have very little to offer'?

No one actually as I wasn't referring to this thread, JUST making a POINT!! I go on the fitness forum, and while there are a lot of very informed guys, there are some people there (as well as in society in general) who seem to have a problem with personal training. I was just happy to see someone upbeat about having/using the services of a PT.

• Advertisement

Ya its good to see i suppose, seems quite alot of trainers in Galway and alot are doing well for themselves...well at €50+ an hour who wouldn't?! :pac:

Dave was saying today that there is a health&fitness thing in the advertiser tomorrow, said he put in stuff so will be interesting to see

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement