Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beardie keepers Q.

Options
  • 07-08-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me with a question I have. I was just wondering how bad do Bearded Dragons smell. I've been told they have a fair oul' stench but is this to do with the Viv not being cleaned or do they themselves give off an odour?

I will be looking to get one in about a year or so (when I come back from Oz, I promise I won't try and sneak one back in my bag! :D).

I know the girlfriend wont be too impressed that after all the time I've spent going on about them that when I do get one he reaks to high heaven!

Thanks for any replies.

PS I would go into Ben in Reptile Haven but I could just imagine the look he would give me if I asked to smell his Beardies:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mama3

As far as I am aware there is not a strong smell from beardies, We have two small (getting bigger by the day) beardies and they don't smell at all, I was told to use Reptabark or substrate in the vivarium instead of sand as its the sand that gets smelly.

Am very new to the beardie world so will stand corrected on any of the above. However will say they are brilliant little creatures, our two have totally different personalities, one is lively and very forward but the other is a complete lounge lizard! Good Luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

Ben wouldn't mind you asking him that.. ha ha

Beardies poop stinks, really bad, in my opinion. more so with more veg fed.

You would have to clean it promptly, and sometimes the beardie too if they swish through it!! You can get spray that masks the odour. it's by t-rex, Ben sells it there too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Caroline B wrote: »
    Ben wouldn't mind you asking him that.. ha ha

Beardies poop stinks, really bad, in my opinion. more so with more veg fed.

You would have to clean it promptly, and sometimes the beardie too if they swish through it!! You can get spray that masks the odour. it's by t-rex, Ben sells it there too.
    Same here, the poop can really reek, and I find that lots of veg makes it worse.

But as long as you clean it regularly it's not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Dont smell at all if you spot clean daily, any animal will stink to high heaven if you neglect cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

When I was in talking to Ben, he said that he'd stared using oat and bran meal as substrate, that it was something was just taking off. (I think it was oat and bran, the bran for sure, not so sure about the oat)

He said that it neutralises the smell of their poop, and that if they do ingest some, it gets broken down in their system so there's no risk of impaction from it either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement