Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investigatory Paranormal Group Cork- Members??

Options
  • 07-08-2008 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hey, ;)

1. Who, What, and When?

Myself and one of my friends are starting up a non-profit, investigatory paranormal group in Cork this month, and we would be happy to welcome other Cork-based, like-minded individuals as additional members. Background, age, sex, creed, or race are irrelevant.

2. Our 'Mission Statement?

Our objective is to document - audibly, visually, and sensorially - anything we encounter while at alleged haunted sites and/or buildings. Essentially, we're just excited by whatever we may uncover, as well as interested in exploring the histories of each place. Most importantly, we will be using a sensible, structured protocol in approaching each place of paranormal interest.

3. Equipment?

Due to not yet having acquired tailor-made devices such as E.V.P.s and infra red cameras at this early stage, we are just going to commence these early investigations with ordinary digital cameras, a dictaphone, and a camcorder.

4. Where?

Our initial 'playing field' (for lack of better words, sorry) will be in the city area, before we move further out into the peripheral county vicinity. Previous experience in doing this sort of thing isn't a requisite at all, though it'd be great!

5. You?

The most important 'skills' and 'traits' - irrespective of being experienced or not - are:

* A natural curiosity about the possibility of intangible things existing. :rolleyes:

* Trustworthy :)

* A healthy dose of humour! :pac:

* An inquiring mind. :confused:

* Physical stamina. :D

* Keen observational ability. :eek:

* Hopefully some bit outgoing (seeing as you'll be mixing with others). :)

* Ability to make logical-yet-balanced assessments of situations. :cool:

* A sense of adventure. :p

* Fairly open-minded. ;)

* The ability to set aside about 2 hours per week at least. :)

6. How?

So, if any of that sounds like you, give me a shout on this thread, or PM me! You don't have to meet all of the above criteria - the above inclinations tend to fluctuate in their dominance daily/weekly/monthly anyway. Well, except for trustworthiness (I hope!)...

"Everyone believes in something. By virtue of the fact that they believe in something, they use that something to support their own existence." -- Frank Zappa.

LCDeelite

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Wow, groups popping up everywhere and I for one dont think its a bad thing!

Best of luck with this and if I can say the equipment you have may very well be all you ever need. Not piece of kit is designed for the purpose of paranormal investigation so getting loads of gear can just be a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

6th wrote: »

Best of luck with this and if I can say the equipment you have may very well be all you ever need. Not piece of kit is designed for the purpose of paranormal investigation so getting loads of gear can just be a waste of money.

well said ,,,best of luck and if you need help we are all here,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

6th wrote: »

Thanks for the kind words and advice, 6th. I think it's a sign of the times that more and more paranormal investigatory groups are popping up all over the place. People are fascinated by the paranormal and less ashamed of openly and proactively pursuing its avenues. I have very good reason to deduce already that there's more to this life than we fully realise. Otherwise, I wouldn't even contemplate using some of my free time or my energy to pursuing this activity. I don't chase shooting stars..

That was a good point about our camera, camcorders, and dictaphone being sufficient for documenting our adventures. My friend was waxing lyrical about getting hold of an E.V.P. device. I understand her enthusiasm (I'm in love with any innovative gadjets as well), but I reckon her underlying motivation for acquiring one was thinking that an E.V.P. would suddenly make investigations more 'valid' and eventful. Anyway, I said, "Fine, get one if they're not too expensive on ebay or somewhere." I doubt you can pick up one at your local f*ckin' 'Woodies' DIY or 'Soundstore'! :pac:

Her enthusiasm is infectious, though. She's full of adventure, virtual fearlessness, and initiative.

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    well said ,,,best of luck and if you need help we are all here,,,

Cheers, DANNY22XX. Sound. ;) I'm sure I'll have some interesting 'tales' to report back, as well as (most importantly) some solid evidence to substantiate claims. Any eejit can tell someone they saw/heard/felt something or someone, even they did or they didn't experience that something/someone in reality. A person can only choose to believe it or to just discard it and its questionable veracity.

I mean, I was taught to believe in God and the Bible from primary school onwards, but no-one ever bothered to ask me why I believed in God, or even if I did really believe in all of that. "Why?", I wonder to myself. Probably because no-one gave a sh1t. :rolleyes:

I believe there is something 'out there' and I have my own, unique vision of what God is (yet, not completely unaffected by religious teachings down through the years, unfortunately). My overall point is that our traditional educational system and Government as a whole tend to 'force-feed' us what we ought to believe. Then again, though, most of those same 'decision makers' have also been influenced by almost-mythical Biblical and ecclesiastical sh*te in their formative years...

Well, at least we're free to do things like investigating possible ghosts and alleged haunted sites of our own volition, happily unfettered by 'Khmer Rouge'-like restrictions! :D

Long live freedom and personal choice. And here's a 'sit-up' courtesy of my middle finger to the Catholic Church!

Hmm.. Any takers??

50341083.IMG_2964_fram.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PeadarO

You still looking for recruits? If ya are count me in!! I'm living in cork and was thinking about geting something like this going myself.....care to combine resourses?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hope it all goes well lads, let us know if you get anything decent with any gear you get. I love equipment, just cant seem to get much with it though. One thing though we have 4 Cannon 400D cameras in our group, I think mixing equipment is a good idea, if i had my way again , I'd get a different one to the lads, might be worth a thought (except I had mine first)

Stoner wrote: »
    hope it all goes well lads, let us know if you get anything decent with any gear you get. I love equipment, just cant seem to get much with it though. One thing though we have 4 Cannon 400D cameras in our group, I think mixing equipment is a good idea, if i had my way again , I'd get a different one to the lads, might be worth a thought (except I had mine first)

Hi Stoner,

I know what you mean about being totally enamoured with all the gadgetry. It's cool alright. What does the Cannon 400D offer? I have a Samsung one and it's grand really. Does the job.

My main concern is capturing visuals in the dark or with scarce lighting, you know? I have night vision mode in both the camera and camcorder but I'll have to do a test run with them beforehand to see how effective they are.

Well, there might be nothing to capture at all- who knows? We'll give it a go anyway. I'd be sort of thinking that any spooks or whatever (!) would deliberately not 'perform' due to us recording everything. Well, whatever happens, the most important thing - well, I'll speak for myself here- is to capture evidence of something. Otherwise, we may as well (as they say) be pissing into the wind! Pointless. :rolleyes:

How long has it taken for anything to 'happen' during your own investigations? Would a good hour or two pass before you noticed anything? Was the first investigation a non-runner before the subsequent ones became more eventful, or what?

Our first investigation will be in early November and we're just scouting for other potential sites at the mo'. I think spirit activity could take place just about anywhere, though. I've been thinking that lately.. I mean, Cork is supposed to be awash with suspected haunted locations. Or, so I've heard..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

LCDeelite wrote: »

How long has it taken for anything to 'happen' during your own investigations?

Well on my second investigation we captured a somewhat interesting audio clip (only for it to disappear off the recorder), sounded like an evil laugh, that was 3.5 years ago. The timer is running since then for something that could not be debunked afterwords IMO. :(
    Others on investigations claimed to have been, touched, heard footsteps, heard words like "yes" and psychics have had their experiences.

Also I heard some tapping in the woods in Charleville castle once, could have been anything and I'd never offer it as "evidence" .

Groups can go on many many investigations between getting something interesting, I don't want to put a downer on the whole thing. IMHO some groups seem to turn a blind eye to debunking their findings.

Stoner wrote: »
    Well on my second investigation we captured a somewhat interesting audio clip (only for it to disappear off the recorder), sounded like an evil laugh, that was 3.5 years ago. The timer is running since then for something that could not be debunked afterwards IMO. :(
    Others on investigations claimed to have been touched, heard footsteps, heard words like "yes" and psychics have had their experiences.

I know what you mean. I hope we capture something ourselves now. If we get anything, you'll hear about it anyways.

F--k, an evil laugh? Did you hear it when it happened, or was it just a case of you guys hearing it on the recorder alone afterwards?

I think a lot of these reports concerning being touched and hearing things might be attributable to people's imaginations. I dunno- it might. People's nerves would be heightened during investigations, making them sensitive to any mundane, external stimuli at all. Although I also appreciate how it's unfair to announce that someone 'imagined something' when it was obviously very real to them.

Groups can go on many, many investigations between getting something interesting, I don't want to put a downer on the whole thing. IMHO, some groups seem to turn a blind eye to debunking their findings.

Right, I'd say our own group could be investigating for quite a while before we experience anything happening, or before we even capture evidence of incidents either. I should have mentioned in my members criteria above that the person should be very, very patient! ;)

• Advertisement

Sh1t, I nearly forgot this. Was meaning to mention it.. My friend actually caught an image of a ghost/spirit on my own mobile phone over two weeks ago. I'm not f--king taking the p1ss.

We were inside in a pub and she was fiddling with the camera on my phone just taking random pics. She took one of me (where you can just about see me), but to the right of me there's a figure of a person sitting there looking in the camera lens' direction. Now, there was no-one directly behind where I was sitting so we have deduced it's a ghost.

In the pic, you can see what looks like white smoke around my chin (but, helloo? No Smoking Ban in pubs?) as well, along with some flashes of white light in the background. Then there's that 'person'.

I mean, Jesus, if you saw it you'd know that there's no way it looks like a living person. No f--king way. Yet, when you zoom in on it, you can make out the facial features and all. I had shivers on the back of my neck when I saw it.

Also, there was no way I could have manipulated that photo to create that 'illusion' because I can't even transfer pictures from my phone to my PC (where I could then Photoshop them). I have an old Sagem mobile (bought in 2005)- it doesn't have any Bluetooth, a USB port, a memory card, or anything of the sort. F--k all. I (or anyone I know) have/has never picked up anything out-of-the-ordinary on my mobile before now. Additionally, the mobile lens was clear and unobstructed.

I was emailing Vodafone Customer Service the other day to find out how I could transfer pictures from my 'dinosaur mobile'(!) to my PC. Still awaiting their reply. Anyway, I'm sure there is some way of transferring pics from an old mobile.. I'd love for you folks to see the photo to prove that I'm not telling porkies. Then again, if I did manage to get that pic on to my laptop and I then uploaded it here, you would probably assume that I had subsequently manipulated its image..

Is there any emoticon for 'exacerbated'??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

LCD, if you have mms on your phone you could always send it to a regular here who could download it and post it on the thread.

Oryx wrote: »
    LCD, if you have mms on your phone you could always send it to a regular here who could download it and post it on the thread.

Hi Oryx,

Yeah, I have MMS on my phone and I'd be prepared to text it to someone from the forum who could then upload it here. Who would be 'okay' with giving me their mobile number? Well, PM me your num if you are.

Now, I'm not going to send the whole, broad picture to someone to upload because you can see enough of my head to know who I am (if you know me, that is). I'm grand with everything else in the photo- I'm just not having my f--king face plastered up on boards (or anywhere else, for that matter).

I'll 'zoom' in on the salient aspects of the picture, save those as individual pictures again (while still having the 'full', original picture where you can see three-quarters of my face myself). I am not 'copping out' or anything of the sort by just sending 'zoom images' of the things in the picture- I just value my own privacy, right? Anyone who doesn't answer to the words 'Paris Hilton' will f--king understand that.

Okay, PM me so.. Gosh, the anticipation! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Sending PM now but if you want to send me the full image I can remove your face. I think I'm trustworthy enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Hey LCD
    I have sent ya a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 muingwee

would love to join a cork group are you still recruiting?:D

muingwee wrote: »
    would love to join a cork group are you still recruiting?:D

Hey,

Thanks for your interest in the group. I just sent you a PM there..

I just want to emphasise that this is a paranormal group in Cork- it isn't your typical, ordinary social group. Now, we're not a bunch of goddamn Devil-worshipping, bunny-sacrificing, seance-holding weirdos, or anything. :p It's just that the group's underlying purpose is to check out places for suspected paranormal activity.

I mean, we obviously discuss non-paranormal related things as well (duh) so we have a laugh as much as we can too. It's not all 'death, death, death' and spookiness :eek:, ya know? I just want to get that across.. But the shared interest that even prompted the group's existence at all is the whole paranormal stuff..

I hope that just makes things crystal clear. Not trying to be rude or anything like that. Honestly..

Check your PM inbox anyway..!

;)

Bump! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

LCDeelite wrote: »

Hi Oryx,

Yeah, I have MMS on my phone and I'd be prepared to text it to someone from the forum who could then upload it here. Who would be 'okay' with giving me their mobile number? Well, PM me your num if you are.

Now, I'm not going to send the whole, broad picture to someone to upload because you can see enough of my head to know who I am (if you know me, that is). I'm grand with everything else in the photo- I'm just not having my f--king face plastered up on boards (or anywhere else, for that matter).

I'll 'zoom' in on the salient aspects of the picture, save those as individual pictures again (while still having the 'full', original picture where you can see three-quarters of my face myself). I am not 'copping out' or anything of the sort by just sending 'zoom images' of the things in the picture- I just value my own privacy, right? Anyone who doesn't answer to the words 'Paris Hilton' will f--king understand that.

Okay, PM me so.. Gosh, the anticipation! :rolleyes:

weres the photo,,,

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    weres the photo,,,

The photo was sent in a PM to 6th, who managed to debunk all but one feature in it. Although he never said the following words (or anything to their effect), I think 6th assumed that the remaining 'un-debunked' feature didn't warrant the photo being posted on this thread. That's just my assumption. No disrespect to him, or anything.

Another point I'll make is that the image quality in the photograph deteriorated a lot after it had been uploaded to my computer. Pictures taken on mobile phones tend to not be great anyway as there seems to be a high concentration of pixelation present- or at least in my own mobile phone pictures. I'm not (intentionally) creating excuses for the photograph's 'no-show', but those are just the facts.

Like it or lump it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement