Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

samsung omnia (i900)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Have had the Omnia i900 for about 1 week now and have to say that it is a pretty decent wee device,
    It handles all the movies I try to play on it with the built in touch player (no feckin about with ppc codecs)
    Loaded iGO8 on it which works pretty good, drove across the country and back without getting lost once :-)
    Wifi works as good as any other PPC's I've had (Xda Atom Exec, HTC TYTN II)
    3G works fine as well although haven't tested video calls as O2 decided no-one uses it so no-one gets it.
    Audio playback is pretty decent once you change the memory settings via a tweak
    The USB feature is a nice addition as I can use it as a 16Gb disk at work
    Web browsing is pretty decent as well with Opera 9.5 installed
    All in all pretty happy with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

kao123 wrote: »
    Maybe they did!

Thanks.. I'll get a look tomorrow when I have time!

PeteK* wrote: »
    ..... Also the wi-fi feature is a bit weird.. he's not complately tried sort it yet tho' ..

He got it sorted when they sent him the settings from Meteor. :pac:

Have had the Omnia i900 for about 1 week now and have to say that it is a pretty decent wee device,
    It handles all the movies I try to play on it with the built in touch player (no feckin about with ppc codecs)
    Loaded iGO8 on it which works pretty good, drove across the country and back without getting lost once :-)
    Wifi works as good as any other PPC's I've had (Xda Atom Exec, HTC TYTN II)
    3G works fine as well although haven't tested video calls as O2 decided no-one uses it so no-one gets it.
    Audio playback is pretty decent once you change the memory settings via a tweak
    The USB feature is a nice addition as I can use it as a 16Gb disk at work
    Web browsing is pretty decent as well with Opera 9.5 installed
    All in all pretty happy with it :)
    Is that map thing free or do you pay O2?

Also, do all of the applications take up some of the 8GB memory do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

what do you think of the phone?
    where did you get it if you don't mind me asking..?....

I'm sure the site you gave me is what the lady on the phone said lol.

It's cool but it said about it kinda freezing.. but hardly ever does.

It would but me having to use the little pen all of the time but you do need it to hit some of the small buttons.

We went to Belfast to get it, he got it at Phones4u.

We phoned around looking for Sim Free ones.. they had 4.

did you manage to find the cover you were after haven't seen any covers stand out from the crowd yet, but it's amoot point really casue I am going to sell mine, it's a fanatstic phone and media player but it just doesn't cut it as a work device for me :-(

Is that map thing free or do you pay O2?

Also, do all of the applications take up some of the 8GB memory do you know?

The map thing is software i bought here http://www.navngo.com/pages/ about a year ago it uses the GPS chipset built in to the Omnia so there are no charges from O2 (although it can if you tell it to).
    Most new pocket pc apps these days let you choose where you want them to be installed "program memeory" or Storage Memory" so you can choose ... I usually install them onto the 16Gb :D on my Omnia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

is the samsung omnia coming to an irish network?

• Advertisement

did you manage to find the cover you were after haven't seen any covers stand out from the crowd yet, but it's amoot point really casue I am going to sell mine, it's a fanatstic phone and media player but it just doesn't cut it as a work device for me :-(

Not a one that is as good as the Tocco's .. but I think he'll go with the one we saw on MobileFun.co.uk
    metalfest wrote: »
    is the samsung omnia coming to an irish network?
    I'd imagine so ..
    The map thing is software i bought here http://www.navngo.com/pages/ about a year ago it uses the GPS chipset built in to the Omnia so there are no charges from O2 (although it can if you tell it to).
    Most new pocket pc apps these days let you choose where you want them to be installed "program memeory" or Storage Memory" so you can choose ... I usually install them onto the 16Gb :D on my Omnia
    Oh, cool.. I'll have to look into that. I'm sure you drains the battery like mad?

Oh, cool.. I'll have to look into that. I'm sure you drains the battery like mad?

The battery actually didn't drain as much as I thought it would, driving for about 2 1/2 hours with GPS on all the time and had about 40% battery left, I should add that I have flashed the ROM on mine to version DXHI3 which does solve the battery drain issues found on the original ROMs - have since bought a car charger though - just in case :)

The battery actually didn't drain as much as I thought it would, driving for about 2 1/2 hours with GPS on all the time and had about 40% battery left, I should add that I have flashed the ROM on mine to version DXHI3 which does solve the battery drain issues found on the original ROMs - have since bought a car charger though - just in case :)

Not sure what that means but obviously helped! :pac:

Not sure what that means but obviously helped! :pac:
    It's the operating system and applications installed on the device itself, most PDA manufacturers install their own extra apps on top of windows mobile, which is all packed into the ROM of the device and they update their devices by releasing a new ROM, it's like re-installing an operating system onto a regular PC from scratch.
    There are lots of various people out there creating their own ROMs for many different windows mobile devices, they call it "cooking" check out i900.modaco.com for an excellent source of knowledge on the Omnia and http://www.modaco.com/category/368/i900-omnia-custom-rom-discussion/ for custom roms, some really great changes and modifications aimed at the Omnia going on there

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Upgraded my rom many times since I got the phone(if I hadnt it would be back on ebay by now!)...flashed MoDaCo DTHJ6-MCR02 yesterday seems very solid..battery life has improved but in general this is a hungry phone..you have to disable bluetooth when its not needed and use task switcher alot,my usage is moderate to heavy,prior to the upgrade to the mcr02 rom I never got more than a half day's usage.However having said that ...best phone I have ever had.:)

BROWNE51 wrote: »
    Upgraded my rom many times since I got the phone(if I hadnt it would be back on ebay by now!)...flashed MoDaCo DTHJ6-MCR02 yesterday seems very solid..battery life has improved but in general this is a hungry phone..you have to disable bluetooth when its not needed and use task switcher alot,my usage is moderate to heavy,prior to the upgrade to the mcr02 rom I never got more than a half day's usage.However having said that ...best phone I have ever had.:)
    Hi BROWNE51 just wondering if the auto rotate still works for you with this rom ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

So would you guys recommend getting this phone, just heard about it about 30 mins ago - looks absolutly savage and i'm a sucker for good looking phones ;)

O and is the the omnia as well or some different phone

http://fmmobiles.ie/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=351

Thanks

-Ace-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So would you guys recommend getting this phone, just heard about it about 30 mins ago - looks absolutly savage and i'm a sucker for good looking phones ;)

O and is the the omnia as well or some different phone

http://fmmobiles.ie/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=351

Thanks

-Ace-

Yes, it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

would you recommend the phone now that some of ye have had it for a while...
    after all it costs 600+ quid sim free

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

I've had one a couple of weeks now and I have to be honest and say that I wanted to throw it out the window for the frist few days. There is a learning curve letting Windows control your phone. For one the layout of text messages is very different - in fact it's more like Outlook and your emails get kept in the same 'Messaging' app. I almost never use Bluetooth so my battery life is great with the MoDaCo ROM (a must). However the WiFi is still extremely problematic - it connects to my Eircom router at home with no issues (though it took me a while to figure out that WiFi doesn't work once you plug in the USB cable - and that Active Sync acts as a proxy server to the Internet) but it won't connect to the UCC WiFi network, it denies me access to the settings for PEAP and I had to use a registry hack to put the settings in but it still won't connect.

I managed to install Garmin Mobile XT with the Ireland/UK mapset which is great. The GPS really is a killer app.

You really have to jump through hoops as well with the 3G versus WiFi settings - it's an either or situation - either you tell the phone that everything connects via WiFi OR everything connects via 3G - if you want to use 3G 'on the fly' then you have to go into the 'control panel' of the network settings and reset it. Not a big deal but a bitch to figure out since it doesn't come with a manual.

I'm a Microsoft man for years (systems admin) and this phone took me a week to hack/customise and otherwise get used to and under my control.

Apart from that it's great :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

nodolan wrote: »
    I managed to install Garmin Mobile XT with the Ireland/UK mapset which is great. The GPS really is a killer app.

Hi, thanks a mill for the review. How much did the garmin software cost? Does it work well in the car? Does it read out the directions are you drive along? I was thinking of getting a satnav for christmas but I also need a new phone so it might make since to do both together. Thanks again

nodolan wrote: »
    I've had one a couple of weeks now and I have to be honest and say that I wanted to throw it out the window for the frist few days. There is a learning curve letting Windows control your phone. For one the layout of text messages is very different - in fact it's more like Outlook and your emails get kept in the same 'Messaging' app. I almost never use Bluetooth so my battery life is great with the MoDaCo ROM (a must). However the WiFi is still extremely problematic - it connects to my Eircom router at home with no issues (though it took me a while to figure out that WiFi doesn't work once you plug in the USB cable - and that Active Sync acts as a proxy server to the Internet) but it won't connect to the UCC WiFi network, it denies me access to the settings for PEAP and I had to use a registry hack to put the settings in but it still won't connect.

You really have to jump through hoops as well with the 3G versus WiFi settings - it's an either or situation - either you tell the phone that everything connects via WiFi OR everything connects via 3G - if you want to use 3G 'on the fly' then you have to go into the 'control panel' of the network settings and reset it. Not a big deal but a bitch to figure out since it doesn't come with a manual.

I'm a Microsoft man for years (systems admin) and this phone took me a week to hack/customise and otherwise get used to and under my control.

Apart from that it's great :D

yep, that's the problem with those new wm phones and their slapped on user-friendly ui's: people get to learn the basics too late...wm offers a lot if you put in some work.
    as to the sms
    layout: there's a ton of 3rd party stuff to give you nicer presentation, threaded conversation etc etc...there are also good free connection manager to set various profiles for wifi, usb etc etc
    I read an interesting review on trustedreviews yesterday: especially the comments. A lot of annoyance due to some pro-iphone bias in that review, and those who defended the omnia made some valid points: e.g. that when new to wm, you have to invest some time to let the omnia grow on you.
    funnily, the iphone fans said the same everytime an iphone feature - or lack thereof - was criticised...but they generally dismissed the omnia after a couple of hours with it! that, imho, is rubbish. both the iphone and the omnia do things differently to 'normal' phones.
    m
    My first wm phone frustrated the sh*t out of me for a few days, but luckily I still had my 'old' phone, and could thus afford to properly 'practice' with the wm device before I HAD to use it. I guess some of the frustration stems from having to use it fulltime cause the old phone's no longer around, and the new isn't familiar yet.
    I see a lot of frustration on forums with X1's, and omnias and diamonds because on the surface they are deceptively simple to use, but they ARE wm ;) !
    same with the iphone, I guess?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

@ Ice Box - cost? LOL Cost?

Ahem...the right Google searches will get around any cost.

I haven't tried it in a car yet but as a pedestrian and it works great. I installed the extras (voices etc) and it's as good as a Navman S30 I have - though you do have to remember that it's not a single use device so while you're getting directions you're liable to be interrupted by a text message or phone call or reminder.

@ strecker - Totally agree. I was tempted to go for an iPhone but the 5mp camera with video recording and the GPS was what closed the deal for me. I got a couple of free apps for the message threading and I'm currently playing around with a couple of connection profile managers.

Some websites that I found helpful and with great free apps:

http://mysamsungomnia.wordpress.com/

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/

http://oldsap.blogspot.com

Nice links!
    Though I'm very very happy with my e71, the Omnia seems very tempting right now. As a nice 2nd ;) I'll see how the prices compare when Nokia's 'Tube' released next year.
    Nice thread, and good phone, methinks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I've also had one for a few weeks. I'm very happy with it. It was sim free but vodafone (UK) branded.

Firstly - look on Ebay you shouldn't have to pay €600 for a sim free one. Mine was only used for 1 hour, it was in brand new condition (in plastic, in box) and I paid €310. In fact at todays exchange rate it would've only been €290. They were going from €300-500 when I was looking.

I've upgraded my ROM to DXHJ1 (from modaco) and got rid of all the branding. There are newer ROMs out now but I'm happy with this one and I'm not going to go to all the hassle of reflashing the entire phone, reinstalling apps etc.

Battery life is about 2 days on moderate use, or a lot less if I use the GPS/camera a bit. You'd definitely need to get a car charger if you're planning on using the GPS a lot. I installed iGo 8 and it's very good so far. Maps for Ireland have been good for the few times I've used it - urban and rural. Don't really have much need for it really, Ireland's not that hard to get around.

There are tons of apps out there for WM, thousands. SPB shell is great as an interface, makes the phone really user friendly. I've really only looked at a few apps but I'm planning on getting my hands on a few more soon.

I haven't had any Wi-fi problems to be honest. Also, whenever I've wifi switched on, Opera will always use that but it automatically uses 3G when it's not. I haven't had to change any settings although maybe that's because my ROM was set up that way.

Using the touchscreen for texting can take some getting used to but I'm getting faster.

Overall it has everything I need, and the possibilities are limitless with all the apps.

Recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

6ix wrote: »

Firstly - look on Ebay you shouldn't have to pay €600 for a sim free one. Mine was only used for 1 hour, it was in brand new condition (in plastic, in box) and I paid €310. In fact at todays exchange rate it would've only been €290. They were going from €300-500 when I was looking.

Recommended!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Getting one of these this week from work - anyone know the best/cheapest GPS package for me to get for personnal use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gfitzell

Has anybody bought phones off the listings on gumtree or other similar websites? They have all the latest phones for sale for about €200 and say its because they're bought in bulk and are based in Italy where its illegal to lock phones to one network. I know €200 for a samsung omnia sounds a bit too good to be true but makes you wonder all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

gfitzell wrote: »
    Has anybody bought phones off the listings on gumtree or other similar websites? They have all the latest phones for sale for about €200 and say its because they're bought in bulk and are based in Italy where its illegal to lock phones to one network. I know €200 for a samsung omnia sounds a bit too good to be true but makes you wonder all the same!
    Avoid, plague like. If they were legit, they,d be selling them somewhere more reputable. Generally involves payment by western union or someother nonsense.

Advertisement