Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not as per building spec

Options
  • 07-08-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Everyone,

Bought an apartment off plans at end of 06, moved in end of 07. After I moved in there were alot of issues and problems but finally managed to get most of them sorted. The issue I have now is that as per building spec there is meant to be recessed lighting fitted in the kitchen but there isn't. When I questioned builders about this they explained that this was "a big mistake" on their part for including this in the spec as it's not possible to fit recessed lighting in the kitchen due to the restriction in ceiling height. They said that they have now removed "recessed lighting" from specs for new phases.

They have offered to install same light that's fitted in the bathroom but it's not recessed lighting and that light is normally fitted over stairways or bathrooms, so will look crap in the kitchen.

Just wondering where I stand here with the builders? Can I demand that recessed lighting be fitted or can I ask them to do something else in the apartment to compensate for the recessed lighting. The something else I'm referring to would be to tile both sides of kitchen wall and to fit more kitchen presses on the other side of kitchen wall. I would prefer if they did this than fit the light.

If they refused, would a solicitor's letter make a difference as recessed lighting is stated in the buliding spec?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The best person to give you advice would be your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

i've a couple of friends who changed thier kitchen lighting to recessed lights. A visit to B and Q followed by drilling out the necessary holes, wiring to existing light fitting followed by patching the old hole and a ceiling paint job. One did both sitting room and bathroom so i don't see how the builder can weasel out of the job. The lights were fitted between the joists

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You don't mention why there is a lack of space in the kitchen. It could be that it is impossible to recess the lighting because there is a structural floor slab in the way. I assume you still have lights.

I think you might ask for something small, but "tile both sides of kitchen wall and to fit more kitchen presses" sounds greedy. But start higher and settle lower.

It is getting late though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Feng Shui

Victor wrote: »
    You don't mention why there is a lack of space in the kitchen. It could be that it is impossible to recess the lighting because there is a structural floor slab in the way. I assume you still have lights.

I think you might ask for something small, but "tile both sides of kitchen wall and to fit more kitchen presses" sounds greedy. But start higher and settle lower.

It is getting late though.

They said there is not enough space between the ceiling and the apartment above me? Not sure if they are taking bull but regardless if it's impossible or not, it's still in the spec and we have a signed contract. They have to compensate me for not building everything detailed in the spec. It's actually only 1 side of the kitchen wall as the other side is tiled.

I'll try and get a legal opinion on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Feng Shui wrote: »
    it's still in the spec and we have a signed contract. They have to compensate me for not building everything detailed in the spec.
    If you have a contract that states they "have to build everything detailed in spec" then you are in luck however I doubt very much that your contract states this. You will almost certainly find you have very little legal comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Usually when you buy off plans there is usually a clause saying changes can be made, so I would check the initial contract you signed for any such clause first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would visit all the light places and pick out something that is an acceptable alternative.

You could put a couple of small unrecessed spot lights above the counter or something. Pr lights under the units. There has to be a way.

At the end of the day, if there's no space to put the light, they can't put it in. A court wouldn't hold them to it.

I wouldn't start negotiating things other than lights. It's going to make you look greedy if the dispute gets escalated.

It was gracious of the builder to say he'd made 'a big mistake'. But really, this is not a big mistake as builders', engineers' and architects' mistakes go. Believe me. This is small stuff. (Drilling a hole in the structural slab to try to fit the recessed light, now that would be a big mistake.)

Advertisement