Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering as self employed

Options
  • 08-08-2008 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Ok, to start with I'm pretty clueless when it comes to taxes so would really appreciate some advice.
    I've been working as a casual employee with a company for the past few years , on their books. But I've also been freelancing a good bit and haven't been on the books with any company while doing this. Obviously it was expected that I would be paying my own taxes for these jobs but I haven't done this. Partly out of needing the money, partly laziness but mostly just the fact that i know so little about taxes that it scared me. Anyway, now I want to get things up to date. Register as self employed and start doing things properly. I've read a lot about it so I'm kinda starting to understand all i have to do but I have one question. This year and last year I brought in my P60 and claimed tax back on the job I was on the books for and I got somewhere between 700-1000 back. Was I actually entitled to this? If I had declared all my other work would I have gotten this tax back? Will I be asked to repay it?
    How does it work if I'm doing some work for this company on their books and for the rest I'm self employed??
    THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Not clever to say you didnt pay tax on the other years

You might not have earned eneogh to pay any tax but best not to go so public on this

The tax crowd can take months to do your tax returns if they suspect that you might owe them something

Once you go self employed if the work suddenly stopped and the creditors came around and you could not pay the risks are

Thye can force you to sell everything to pay off depts

The social welfare will try not to pay you any money for one year after you stop being self employed

Then you would be dependent on payments from the health board in that period
    They are a law onto themselfs with some of them seeming to take some sort of delight with making guys wait weeks and months and starving them just for kicks

Seen to many of my mates go through that mincer to recommend it
    They often had to borrow money from money lenders while waiting for health board to pay the money

So that took most of them a down a bad road

In these times of severe finanacial stress this has to the hardest time to launch out as self employed

If you do go for it save like mad and statch the money someplace where nobody can get it or find it

If you use Irish based banks post office whatever to talk to that out of the state money source that you hid away they will rat on you to the creditors
    Also they will tell any state agencies so it needs to be good descreet place to statch the loot that nobody in ROI knows where it is
    All the EU system can chose to rat on you also as they got special tax solutions with each other and ROI but if its small amounts spread around probably not worth while to try to find it out
    But the computers every year get better

So it best that you got funds to last one year if you go bust so as to have money while waiting for the scratch to come through or set up another job whatever

If Social welfare or health board know you have more than 6000 euros then social welefare wont pay you until your saving are less than ~6000 euros

So if you have saving and reserves like your wife own the house and the contracts are there and you still want to go for it then as long as your ready to ride out the crap at the other end if it all goes pear shaped the benifits can be alrigth

The Van can sometimes be a necesscity for the trade
    Tools are VAT free

But banks nowadays can risk to fleece you with new makey up charges as they try to get back into profit on the small guys back

Derry

Advertisement