Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citeh up the proverbial creek

• 08-08-2008 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

That's right folks, just over a week til the start of the new season and we're apparently royally fecked.

I'm sure most people know of the rumours linking Corluka to Spurs. Well I'm sad to say that it looks like happening, against the wishes of both the player and the manager.

Last season we bought 8 players, none outright, and we are still paying them off. Now with Thaksin's current predicament we have absolutely no cash. Our chief executive Gary Cook was apparently unaware that there were such big payments to be made, hence the sanctioning of the Ben Haim deal. Now we have no choice but to sell and, along with Petrov, Corluka is seen as the player easiest to sell at this time to make ends meat.

A very well informed guy on the City message board has said that Hughes is fuming over the situation and is threatening to walk out on the club if the deal goes through. He wants to this bolox to be out in the open so he knows where he stands. I for one wouldn't blame him if he did go.

Obviously there are all sorts of rumours circulating but the bottom line is we have feck all money and we need to sell one of our biggest assets right on the eve of the season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

that sucks for you lot

even though i cant help smiling while reading it ;)

would be a shame for Hughes to leave before he even starts tbh, dont think he would walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Now with Thaksin's current predicament we have absolutely no cash.

What is his situation? Does he basically have no money? Do ye have to sell player to pay for the ones ye've already bought.

Sh!t situation though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thaskin is so very dodgy, it was always in the back of my mind that something like this could happen and everything would go tits up at City but i really didnt expect it so soon especially after then spending 18m+ on one player this Summer.

Corluka is a class player and still really young, id love him at Villa Park... any idea how much Spurs are supposed to be paying for him?

Were Sinatras assets frozen again by the Thai government or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What is his situation? Does he basically have no money? Do ye have to sell player to pay for the ones ye've already bought.

Sh!t situation though.

That's basically what I'm hearing yeah.

Thaksin's missus got sent down last week and rumours are he'll follow with his money frozen. There is talk about him selling up as well
    Thaskin is so very dodgy, it was always in the back of my mind that something like this could happen and everything would go tits up at City but i really didnt expect it so soon especially after then spending 18m+ on one player this Summer.

Corluka is a class player and still really young, id love him at Villa Park... any idea how much Spurs are supposed to be paying for him?

We want 20 mil, they want to pay 10 mil so not sure exactly. They're after Cuellar from Rangers too so if we ask too much they'll pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hughes should never have accepted the job in the first place.
    That chap Thaksin knows absolutely nothing about football or how to run a football club.
    I feel sorry for the fans but that is the danger of being a plc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I heard it's around £9.5million. Over-priced if you ask me.

Can't say I'm losing any sleep over the City predicament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We want 20 mil, they want to pay 10 mil so not sure exactly. They're after Cuellar from Rangers too so if we ask too much they'll pull out.

We won't pay much more than £10m, as I understand it your current predicament requires a deal with 100% cash up front rather than spread over the player's contract as is the norm.

Ekels wrote: »
    I heard it's around £9.5million. Over-priced if you ask me.

Overpriced? How so? He's 22 and an established international who can be right back, centre half or midfield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

again I would be chuffed if Villa signed him for 9.5m, he would be perfect for us (even though we finally signed a RB today) and much better than the alternatives that are being touted about such as Anton Ferdinand today quoted at about the same price or Kaboul we recently was suggested at being 7m. Corluka would be a really good siging for Spurs IMO and def improve their chances this year.

what happens to City if Thaskin goes to Jail ?

what happens to City if Thaskin goes to Jail ?

Assets are frozen I presume and we're left to rot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I wonder will this send a massive red alert to the fans of Chelsea, Hearts and Portsmouth and any other club who is relying on one benfactor. With Gretna, it didn't seem like there was any danger because of the difference in the size of the clubs, but if City are really that screwed than I'd want Abramovich to secure our future immediately to make sure we don't go down the ****ter.

Really hope City recover from this. It's never nice to see this happen to any club

Xavi,
    Whats the craic with wages? I presume the wage bill is fairly high, considering ye bought a good few players last year. If the money stop coming in I presume ye will be looking to offload your highest earners?

Iirc this is what fuct leeds. They had huge wages and once the money stopped coming in they were ruined.

Xavi,
    Whats the craic with wages? I presume the wage bill is fairly high, considering ye bought a good few players last year. If the money stop coming in I presume ye will be looking to offload your highest earners?

Iirc this is what fuct leeds. They had huge wages and once the money stopped coming in they were ruined.

Wages wise I'm not too sure. I do know that Felipe Caicedo is on 30 grand a week so lord knows what the rest of them are getting.

All this Ronaldinho talk had people thinking we were minted when in actual fact those wages were gonna be bankrolled by outside sponsors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

That's right folks, just over a week til the start of the new season and we're apparently royally fecked.

I'm sure most people know of the rumours linking Corluka to Spurs. Well I'm sad to say that it looks like happening, against the wishes of both the player and the manager.

Last season we bought 8 players, none outright, and we are still paying them off. Now with Thaksin's current predicament we have absolutely no cash. Our chief executive Gary Cook was apparently unaware that there were such big payments to be made, hence the sanctioning of the Ben Haim deal. Now we have no choice but to sell and, along with Petrov, Corluka is seen as the player easiest to sell at this time to make ends meat.

A very well informed guy on the City message board has said that Hughes is fuming over the situation and is threatening to walk out on the club if the deal goes through. He wants to this bolox to be out in the open so he knows where he stands. I for one wouldn't blame him if he did go.

Obviously there are all sorts of rumours circulating but the bottom line is we have feck all money and we need to sell one of our biggest assets right on the eve of the season.
    This is pretty much exactly how I saw things turning out for you lot under Thaksin. I've been predicting something like this for almost a year now, surprised it took so long. Thanks be to heavens Newcastle ended up with Mike Ashley as owner and not some dodgy politician.

kinaldo wrote: »
    This is pretty much exactly how I saw things turning out for you lot under Thaksin. I've been predicting something like this for almost a year now, surprised it took so long. Thanks be to heavens Newcastle ended up with Mike Ashley as owner and not some dodgy politician.

I wouldn't exactly hold Ashley up as the shining beacon of Club Owner to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I can only assume he is currently trying to move his moveable assets around in such a way that they cannot be touched by the new government. Also, if he is currently in Thailand he ain't too bright.

If the worst happens welcome to Leedsville. And it may be a good thing if it does happen so that one person international ownership is discouraged and fought against by clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I wouldn't exactly hold Ashley up as the shining beacon of Club Owner to be honest!
    Ashley is giving an exclusive interview to the club's official magazine this weekend. The papers write **** about Ashley because he doesn't speak to them. They miss the good old Looney Toon days of Freddy Shepherd, always willing to put us in the news for the wrong reasons. Now the bitter hacks just have to make everything up. They didn't even know who Jonas was until after he signed. Apart from not spending obscene amounts of money in the transfer market, Ashley has done little wrong in the eyes of the fans and is fast becoming a cult hero on Tyneside. We're lucky to have him.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thats what happens when you greet a crook with open arms and make him feel welcome at the club. United fans are still awaiting Glazer walking out on the club leaving us with a huge debt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Every Liverpool fan knows the feeling.

It's funny though.
    I remember about 4 years ago when Thaskin wanted to buy Liverpool.
    I remember thinking it was a bit dodgy, what with his ill gotten gains and all.
    Then we got G & H instead, with Thaskin going to City and I remember thinking that we were lucky.

Then Thaskin seemingly started pouring in the money to City, while G & H scrounged around the back of the sofa for a few quid!

I was just begining to think how wrong I was, but the sacking of Sven, along with this now shows that my worst fears were correct.
    Hope for City's sake it gets sorted fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would have two questions about this entire thing.

Why did the City board accept an offer from this guy? He was clearly dodgy and looked like he'd be going to court before the bid was accepted.

How on earth did he pass teh FA's 'Fit and Proper Person' test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tauren wrote: »
    I would have two questions about this entire thing.

Why did the City board accept an offer from this guy? He was clearly dodgy and looked like he'd be going to court before the bid was accepted.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't City heavily in debt before he came in? If there were no other forth-coming bids they might have been in trouble.
    How on earth did he pass teh FA's 'Fit and Proper Person' test?

Yeah, it really makes you wonder about the validity of the test. I remember human rights organisations protesting at the time and calling it farcical.

It would be a big blow to City if Hughes went. If players are sold above his head then you couldn't blame him for doing so either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Well Hughes left Blackburn as he didn't really have a budget to work with.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Well Hughes left Blackburn as he didn't really have a budget to work with.

The lack of budget isn't the problem, it's players being sold without his say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd say the budget is also an issue, it was one of the reasons he left Blackburn. But no manager is going to hang around if the board are selling his players.

I'd say he's livid at Corluka going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

LOL @ City.

Big mistake letting Thaksin anywhere near the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ah ya hate to see sh!t like this, some guy comes in not knowing a thing about foootball and is close to running a great club into the ground! as i utd fan im "supposed" to be happy but as a football fan this is a disgrace and i really hope city survive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

is there going to be a car boot sale? if so can we have Dunne please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Funny how nobody really cares about an autocratic, human rights abuser with a fishy financial background being at the helm of their club until he can't stump for players. :D

A lot of my family in Manchester are City fans, and tbh, I wouldn't like to see them go the way of Leeds.

ah ya hate to see sh!t like this, some guy comes in not knowing a thing about foootball and is close to running a great club into the ground! as i utd fan im "supposed" to be happy but as a football fan this is a disgrace and i really hope city survive!

City should of known better than selling the club to a lad like Thaksin. They're just as much to blame imo.

I'm very suprised to hear that City have to sell of some of the players though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I'd love to revel in the fact that loads of people told City fans not to trust him and they did, I just can't be happy about another English club getting ****ed over.
    As always, I blame four sets of people.
    The fans for not working together.
    The board for accepting the bid.
    The footballing authorities for allowing them to pass the fit and proper person test and for allowing such huge debts to be acceptable.
    The government for letting the board and the footballing authorities get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You can hardly blame the average joe fan, this stuff gets done on a corporate level way over their heads and as we saw with Man U, even when the fans oppose it's rarely enough to cause anything other than a storm in a tea cup.

City are in dangerous territory, IHMO the main culprits here (apart from Thaksin which was always obvious) is the previous regime for selling up to such a dodgy character. The board who sold their shares really landed the club in it by not properly vetting the takeover candidates and by probably not having enough balls to spurn his advances.

If Corluka does go, it's symbolic of the state of affairs at the club and it risks opening up the floodgates. My 2nd team are Man City so I really wouldn't like to see that happen because they could kiss European football goodbye and they would return to the dark ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Feel sorry for the fans as said before that's what happens when you sell to a dodgy character. Seemed all was not well at the end of last season. Don't hate me for backing them at 12/1 to be relegated and backing Hughes to be the first managerial change at 10.5/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hope it all comes through, but not with Shinawatra in charge. City need to get rid of him and stop spending money they don't have or it'll all end in tears.

You can hardly blame the average joe fan, this stuff gets done on a corporate level way over their heads and as we saw with Man U, even when the fans oppose it's rarely enough to cause anything other than a storm in a tea cup.

If fans realised things early and were more willing to group together effectively, they could have a much bigger effect on it. 35000 voters in Manchester making demands that will alter who they will vote for would have an effect on it.

Like FC United you mean? I'll pass on that sort of farce thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Yous will bounce back after consecutive relegations anyway!!

I don't mean like FC at all. I mean the majority of match going songs who don't pay any attention to who is about to take over their club paying attention to the massive problems with the takeovers. FC United is a response to not being able to mobilise the majority of the fans against the Glazers imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Savman wrote: »

City are in dangerous territory, IHMO the main culprits here (apart from Thaksin which was always obvious) is the previous regime for selling up to such a dodgy character. The board who sold their shares really landed the club in it by not properly vetting the takeover candidates and by probably not having enough balls to spurn his advances.

Too right Savman but lets not forget the PLs role in all this, Mr Thaksin, formerly head of a Government which implemented shoot to kill policies alongside embezzlement & fraud for personal enrichment (and transfer fees), was deemed by the PL to be a person 'fit and proper' to own a PL football club.

But then again Abramovich & his fortune as well as the financing used by H&G and the Glazers to fund their purchases passed the test so at least they're consistent in their decision making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

More like the uproar around the time Murdoch was trying to buy the club.

"The end is nigh thanks to Edwards and Sky"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone ever failed the 'fit and proper persons' test? If so, on what grounds?

• Advertisement

I don't remember anyone ever failing the test before.

What happens if Thaksin gets convicted now? He automatically fails the test doesn't he?

Farce? 3 promotions in a row, higher average attendence than anyone in any league they have been in, and most of League 2 as far as i know.

Explain what part of them is a farce?

Tauren wrote: »
    Farce? 3 promotions in a row, higher average attendence than anyone in any league they have been in, and most of League 2 as far as i know.

Explain what part of them is a farce?

Turning your back on the club you've supported for years is a joke. Nobody is bigger than the club. Owners come and go, as do players and managers, but the club should always be there.

FC United's attendences are dropped massively since the 'buzz' of the first season. I'd love to know how many of those 'fans' are back in the Stretford End.

It's a good thing the likes of Scarborough and Exeter weren't full of deserters, otherwise they'd be extinct now.

they'd argue the club turned its back on them - pricing them out and treating them like nothing more than replacable consumers.

Every moands about the commercialisation of football - they did something about it.

And their argument would be pointless. It's not as if it's just United that did it, it's just football in general and its progression. Walking away from your club should be unthinkable if you're a true fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

No offence Xavi6, but if Villa had ownership like Shinawatra, then i'd have reservations about actively supporting a club being used as a PR tool by someone so obviously guilty of numerous crimes. I wouldnt stop following them but certainly wouldnt be active either.

Sorry but Thaksin is one man. He is not the players and he is not the fans. I would never abandon them.

In player news, Corluka is not involved today against Milan so he's gone and apparently Ireland is off to Sundireland tomorrow. Lovely.

Gotta bump this now considering todays events.

Thaskin unlikely to return to Thailand, going into exhile to avoid prosecution. Arriving/Arrived in London. All his assests won't be leaving Thailand.
    Since the club was bought on loans, they are going to be up ****e creek indeed, especially since theres no stadium even to secure stuff.

Corluka is rumoured to bea leaving, Ireland to Sunderland possible, and since the players last year were meant to be bought on loans [which I'm fairly sure the accounts indicated they were] they are going to have to probably have some serious selling.

Hughes is probably going completely ape****e, and may well beat Ince to the first manager gone streaks.

But I just saw there that Corluka is defo staying. This could get very interesting in relation to assets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PHB wrote: »
    Gotta bump this now considering todays events.

Thaskin unlikely to return to Thailand, going into exhile to avoid prosecution. Arriving/Arrived in London. All his assests won't be leaving Thailand.
    Since the club was bought on loans, they are going to be up ****e creek indeed, especially since theres no stadium even to secure stuff.

Corluka is well known to be leaving, Ireland to Sunderland possible, and since the players last year were meant to be bought on loans [which I'm fairly sure the accounts indicated they were] they are going to have to probably have some serious selling.

Hughes is probably going completely ape****e, and may well beat Ince to the first manager gone streaks.

corluka not leaving

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3962550,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That's right folks, just over a week til the start of the new season
    The season started yesterday. Football in England doesn't begin and end with the Premiership.

• Advertisement
Advertisement