Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citeh up the proverbial creek

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well when I said the Sun I was using it to categorise all the Rags carrying the story.

Right now I'm more worried about the news that Vassell is out for three or four months. He's been our best player all preseason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well when I said the Sun I was using it to categorise all the Rags carrying the story.

Right now I'm more worried about the news that Vassell is out for three or four months. He's been our best player all preseason!

Dunno which would be more worrying. the 3 month injury or that he has been your best player

Well 'best' might be a bit of an exaggeration. Probably 2nd best after Petrov!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And Hughes is down to 4-1 to be the first Manager gone in the PL. .
    I stuck a few quid on last night at 25 - 1. What with all that's been going on it's worth a punt IMO.

[url="http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3972293,00.html]doesnt look like that'll pay out:[/url]
    HUGHES DENIES CITY QUIT THREAT
    Posted 12/08/08 21:15EmailPrintSave

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes has dismissed suggestions he could resign after less than three months at the club.

Hughes was reported to be on the brink of quitting the City of Manchester Stadium club due to concern over his control on transfers, and at a time when owner Thaksin Shinawatra's future appears unclear.

The former Blackburn manager said: "There have been a lot of rumours flying around but I am not going anywhere and I don't anticipate going anywhere.

"There is a job to do here and I am looking forward to it."

He told club website, [url]www.mcfc.co.uk:[/url] "There is speculation around the club and that has been prevalent since I joined the club but from my own point of view I am very focused on what I am about and what I aim to achieve here and that means success on the pitch.

"Nothing whatsoever has changed in that respect and the football operation hasn't changed since I signed for the club. Nor has my relationship with Garry Cook and his team. We get on really well and continue to speak on a daily basis.

"I am the guy that makes the decisions in relation to the football, and they make the decisions in relation to the running of the club."

City's executive chairman Garry Cook has stated that Thaksin remains committed to his "10-year vision" for the club.

The club's owner is seeking refuge in Britain after he and his wife skipped a court hearing in Bangkok.

However, Cook has denied that the development would destabilise the club.

"City's future is not in jeopardy," Cook told the Manchester Evening News.

"In the short term, it is business as usual. We don't rely on Dr Thaksin's money.

"When Mark Hughes makes a decision we go through the normal process, which can include banks, finance, or a whole bunch of different things just like any other club."

Cook claims that the former Thai Prime Minister - who denies all charges against him - might look in the long term to get extra investment in through 'partnership' deals.

Cook spent time with Thaksin in Beijing before he returned to England.

"It was really clear he wants to be at this football club for the next 10 years," said Cook.

However Kevin Parker, spokesman for the Manchester City Official Supporters Club, expressed concern at the developments involving the Barclays Premier League club's owner.

Parker said: "We're a bit dizzy with it. We're just getting so many conflicting messages. I think most supporters are worried that the impact on the club is going to be very negative.

"I don't see a great deal of positives at the moment."

The former Thai premier has remained tight-lipped since arriving in Britain, but was spotted out shopping in Surrey yesterday.

Mr Parker added: "If he's been out shopping he can just take 15 minutes to talk to any representative of the press and give them a story to take back to the fans in Manchester.

"We would like to hear something from him directly rather than through other people at the club."

Storm in a tea cup, blown out of proportion etc etc.

Roll on Sunday! (After Europe tomorrow night obviously when we will cup tie Corluka just for Spurs :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

doesnt look like that'll pay out:[/url]
    Yeah glad I didn't take it now. But having said that, he could still be the first to go given Shinawatra's track record so far.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Storm in a tea cup, blown out of proportion etc etc.
    Huh? But you started the thread. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Yeah glad I didn't take it now. But having said that, he could still be the first to go given Shinawatra's track record so far.

yeah thats a very good point alright, i think the best thing for citeh is for sparkey to stay, i really hope they can get through all this sh!te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Right lads, back to the real issue: COME ON CITY!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

doh!
    I like city, and it would have been sad to see them fall apart..... BUT.......I had 50 on both hughes leaving and city going down. Put them on when I first heard about the trouble with Shinawatra.
    Had very good odds, and my mouth has been watering over the last few days as it escalated and the odds went waaaay down.

Huh? But you started the thread. :confused:

I know, my comment was tongue in cheek. Of course there's something wrong, we just aren't quite sure what it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Fact is Shinawatra is a fugitive. If the trial goes ahead in Thailand without him and he is convicted, City are in big trouble. The PL could tell City to get their shyt in order and if not they might revoke their license.

Well there was an official press conference this afternoon from the club. Apparently all is good and there are players we are currently seeking. The Corluka thing was described as a 'misunderstanding' so it appears to be over.

Oooooh 9999 posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

HUGHES: I’M IN CHARGE
    By Ken Gaunt, PA Sport
    Manchester City manager Mark Hughes has a issued a defiant warning that he is in charge and declared that no-one will leave Eastlands without his permission.
    Hughes, who re-iterated he remains focused on driving the club forward, has made it plain to any unsettled players his word is law.
    The former Blackburn boss has become exasperated at reports linking Vedran Corluka to Tottenham and Stephen Ireland to Sunderland.
    Hughes is adamant the pair are staying put and said: “I had a meeting with all the players the other day and the contents will remain private.
    “But basically we needed to make the group aware that I am in charge and will make decisions that will affect players.
    “If players leave, then that decision will be mine and mine solely. That’s where we are and I think everyone understands the situation.”
    Corluka will return to the squad for the UEFA Cup match against FC Midtjylland tomorrow despite continued speculation he will soon set up camp at White Hart Lane.
    Hughes, though, is adamant where the future lies for the Croatia defender..
    He said: “Vedran’s agent has a vested interest in his client but the matter has been resolved.
    “I have discussed the situation at length with Vedran and he won’t be leaving the club. He is very much a Manchester City player.”
    Hughes admitted it had been difficult week leading up to the second round first-leg match against the Danish league leaders.
    Owner Thaksin Shinawatra’s decision to return to England and seek refuge rather than face corruption charges in Thailand sparked turmoil at the club.
    While executive chairman Garry Cook moved to allay fears that there are serious financial worries, Hughes still felt obliged to clarify his own position amid talk of internal conflict.
    On the eve of the cup game, the former Manchester United star again stated he had no intention of walking away.
    He said “People might have been concerned that maybe funds won’t be available for me to bring players to the club. I have been reassured that is not the case.
    “We are actively pursuing players.
    “My part of the club has not changed to any great extent. We are interested in good players at the right price.
    “I speak to Garry Cook on a daily basis and we are always having conversations about where we feel the club should be going.
    “Maybe there have been misunderstandings and mistakes made but that happens in any big organisation when you make changes. It is not an issue.
    “I am clear we are going in the right direction. It’s a great club and a big club. I want to move it forward.”
    Meanwhile midfielder Michael Johnson is close to agreeing a lucrative new deal.
    Hughes added: “Negotiations with Michael are ongoing and we are hopeful they will be concluded very quickly.
    “There are a few ’Ts’ to be crossed and ’Is’ to be dotted but we are very close.”
    end 131800 AUG 08

WTF, go from selling they're best players to tabling a 12M bid for Santa Cruz... is it true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jimbling wrote: »
    WTF, go from selling they're best players to tabling a 12M bid for Santa Cruz... is it true?
    Well considering Hughes brought him to Blackburn it's hardly the biggest surprise in the world. But having said that, given the recent carry on it does seem a little bit strange.

Well considering Hughes brought him to Blackburn it's hardly the biggest surprise in the world. But having said that, given the recent carry on it does seem a little bit strange.

ya, not surprised about the player at all........ just wondering how is there suddenly 12M available to buy a player when they were supposedly up the "proverbial creek" and were selling all around them.
    Was it all BS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Hope City go down.

Advertisement