Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road tax on second hand car from north

Options
  • 08-08-2008 7:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

All.

If I now buy a second hand car from the north, say a 2.0 TD Peugeot 2000 and pay the VRT to clear it down here, which way do I have to pay road tax

Do I still pay it on the old system done by engine size (expensive)

Or since the car has only been registered in Ireland after the new Road tax scheme, would I pay the road tax based on the engine emissions (cheaper on a TD than the old way)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

You pay road tax on engine size on all cars registered abroad pre 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Only cars whose License Plate starts "08" are elgible for the new tax system only.

I was under the belief that all cars "registered" in 2008 in Ireland where elgible - I WAS WRONG!!!

Advertisement