Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No RTE Radio abroad during the olympics

• 08-08-2008 8:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭

I'm outside Ireland at the moment and this morning when I tried to listen to Morning Ireland I got this message:

"Due to rights restrictions, RTE is prohibited from making Olympic content accessible from outside Ireland . In order to comply with these restrictions, RTE has had to make all live radio streams and the majority of archived programs available within Ireland only."

So that's it? No RTE radio available over the net for the next two weeks? In a word: WTF?

What the hell kind of a strategy is that? What kind of licence infringing material could they possibly broadcast during Morning Ireland or the Pat Kenny Show? Does the voice of George Hamilton now belong to the Peoples Republic of China?

Un-fricken-believable,
    Kev.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I'm willing to bet BBC 5 Live will be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

seems like a sledgehammer/peanut interface scenario alright. Probably tho because of the nature of the games, the live shows on RTE1 will be cutting back and forth between the studio and the tiddlywinks arena, so it's just easier to cut the whole stream, rather than trying to isolate little bits here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure radio is full of these damned restrictions, my moanm being footie on fivelive, I do not know who looses out if I can listen to a game via interweb rather than via FM on cable.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

Does anybody know if there's any way around this?

no legal ways, and that's what matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

You could have somebody in Ireland set up a proxy for you & go through that, but it's probably just too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet BBC 5 Live will be the same.
    Cam amyone confirm that? Im using my mobile to post this so can't check right now.

I'm currently listening to 5 Live over the net - it's quite possible that they'll block it later though. Still even if they do it's a whole lot better than the sledgehammer RTE approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 onlyone

It is an absolute disgrace. RTE shuts down to those of us who have to travel abroad, and the wider Irish Diaspora, so that a few very obscure sports in a grossly excessive competition, hosted by a fascist nation, can be heard in Ireland, for a few minutes.

The PRC would be impressed with RTE. But the fact is that only free to air stations got the rights. So I can hear the fecking Olympics anywhere, so no rights to be protected anyway

I am going to contact the IOC, the BCC, my TD and RTE governing body about this. It is a typical example of RTEs journos obsession with sports, in which very few are interested.

Anybody want to join me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

onlyone wrote: »

Anybody want to join me?

No thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Calm down dear.

It is an absolute disgrace. RTE shuts down to those of us who have to travel abroad, and the wider Irish Diaspora, so that a few very obscure sports in a grossly excessive competition, hosted by a fascist nation, can be heard in Ireland, for a few minutes.

The PRC would be impressed with RTE. But the fact is that only free to air stations got the rights. So I can hear the fecking Olympics anywhere, so no rights to be protected anyway

I am going to contact the IOC, the BCC, my TD and RTE governing body about this. It is a typical example of RTEs journos obsession with sports, in which very few are interested.

Anybody want to join me?

You lost me at the first paragraph.

Mossy Monk - where did I lose you? Pretty clear I thought. Cant you cope?

Calkitdowndear1 - Why? I am calm

Why for a sporting completion involving a collection of obscure or underage sports (eg Soccer) - do I have to lose. I pay my licence fee. Most of RTEs output has nothing to do with the Olympics, and most Irish people only look at the beginning, The few possibilities of a medal (1 or 2 of the lower grade metal), and the end.

In the meantime we get shut off. The rights stuff is rubbish. You can see the olympics anyware as the only sell to free to air stations

Mossy Monk - where did I lose you? Pretty clear I thought. Cant you cope?

No. My intellect is not as good as yours :rolleyes:.

Would your point be different if the Olympics were on in say France?

Mossey Monk

Are you suggesting I am racist?

If you are I will happily sue your ass off. There is nothing in my posts to suggest that I am racist. I would request an apology, now:mad:

I could not careless where the gross obscenity that is the olympics are held, If it was in France I would object to RTEs behaviour.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Time out time! This thread is on a countdown to being locked if the handbags are not put back down.

Infractions and bans will also be handed out to those who ignore this warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Mossey Monk

If you are I will happily sue your ass off. There is nothing in my posts to suggest that I am racist. I would request an apology, now:mad:

I could not careless where the gross obscenity that is the olympics are held, If it was in France I would object to RTEs behaviour.

That's not really true.

If the Olympics were "Grossly obscene" I'd watch every minute of 'em. As it stands, I'll probably only watch beach volley ball and maybe some gymnastics, and they're not obscene at all. Merely "mildly titillating".

I think also the point was less to do with racism, and more to do with whether your answer would change if China (being considered a totalitarian state) was to be replaced hypothetically with somewhere like France (being slightly less totalitarian than China).

Still, I hope common sense does not prevail, and a court case where you DO happily sue Mr Monk's ass off becomes necessary, because not only Does O.One V Monk have a vaguely Chinese martial arts feel to it, the court transcripts of one pseudonym groundlessly accusing another of calling them a racist would be a good laugh.

I seem to remember them doing this during the 2004 games as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Why for a sporting completion involving a collection of obscure or underage sports (eg Soccer) - do I have to lose. I pay my licence fee. Most of RTEs output has nothing to do with the Olympics, and most Irish people only look at the beginning, The few possibilities of a medal (1 or 2 of the lower grade metal), and the end.

In the meantime we get shut off. The rights stuff is rubbish. You can see the olympics anyware as the only sell to free to air stations

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics2008/audiovideo_faq.html
    Enjoy :D

Mossey Monk

You imagine things I see. Where in my post was a suggestion of you being racist made. Your threat of suing me is laughable. You can get ****ed if you think I am apologising for something that exists in your imagination. If anyone should be apologising it is you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

onlyone wrote:
    There's the problem - I doubt broadcasters elsewhere would be too impressed if people could listen to RTE coverage (albeit pretty poor) in another country, when they (the other broadcaster) paid to cover the Olympics in that country. So RTE cut it off.

Posts = 3
    onlyone wrote:
    Welcome to boards btw, you're going to fit in so well :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Mossey Monk

That's not really true.

If the Olympics were "Grossly obscene" I'd watch every minute of 'em. As it stands, I'll probably only watch beach volley ball and maybe some gymnastics, and they're not obscene at all. Merely "mildly titillating".

I think also the point was less to do with racism, and more to do with whether your answer would change if China (being considered a totalitarian state) was to be replaced hypothetically with somewhere like France (being slightly less totalitarian than China).

Still, I hope common sense does not prevail, and a court case where you DO happily sue Mr Monk's ass off becomes necessary, because not only Does O.One V Monk have a vaguely Chinese martial arts feel to it, the court transcripts of one pseudonym groundlessly accusing another of calling them a racist would be a good laugh.

:D

Sometimes, with the noise created by righteous indignation and the angry stamping of feet, funny gets missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

RTÉ Radio 1 is on Brussels telephone No. 2509 5050. This number can be called from anywhere in the world with prefix + 32, international call rates apply.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

This is the last warning. Posters will be civil to each other and stay on topic or not only will I lock this thread but I will infract and ban every single person who ignores this warning.

Thanks for the link Milktrolley. It's a damn shame though - especially since the BBC doesn't see the need to enforce a complete ban on all its stations - just the ones concerned with sport.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I look forward to joining the debates

I didn’t realise that the more I post the better I get, but I will work on it. Whether I have 3 or 3,333 does not make my point of view less valid.

I am not a racist. If anybody calls me that I will sue. Onlyone vrs Monk is fine by me.

I think the Olympics are obscene for reasons of wasteful expenditure, which have caused recessions and hardship, and very few benefits to the host people for the last 40 years. They pander to a tiny elite, who participate in small obscure sports. They have little interest for the vast bulk of people, and in particular RTE Radio One listeners.

I will have the same opinion when they come to London, or France.

I do not think that the Olympics should allow themselves to be used by the totalitarian fascistic/communist state of the PRC to promote themselves. More Importantly I don’t think that RTE should censure themselves to please the PRC.

BBC radio 5 is off line as well, but it’s a sports channel, so not syrprised. The rest are available.

I note RTEs FAQ. Nobody made them sign the deal, and BTW the phone number of the OCI does not work, and there is no contact information on the RTE website, for RTE.

Has RTE never heard of editing and the pause button? Are they that technically behind?. Do they care?

I have lodged complaints with RTE, the BCI, My TD and a few others. Interesting point is that the EU is the hardest to find an address for.

The Onlyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

There are quite a lot of things I could say on the handbags/lawsuit issue, but out of respect for the mods, I will hold my powder on that front.

As regards the Olympics - the suggestion that it's only of interest to a tiny minority is a frankly ridiculous one. The opening ceremony and events themselves are regularly broadcast to TV audiences in the billions and hundreds of millions respectively. As for small obscure sports - I guess basketball, soccer, tennis, track and field, swimming, boxing, gymnastics and any number of other sports don't really have that many devotees - aside for the millions of people who play them on an ongoing basis. On an anecdotal level - a lot of my friends, who wouldn't be interested in sport, are glued to the TV for the duration of the Olympics, as it is one of the most remarkable events in the world - not just in the sporting world.

As for RTE pandering to the PRC - I would point out that it's the International Olympic Committee that decide who get the rights to broadcast radio/TV/online coverage of the Olympic Games. The Chinese are just hosting the tournament - and to be honest, I think the Games are a great opportunity for China to open up a little to the world. Their Government isn't exactly a shining light of decency, but I would suggest that their Government doesn't exactly speak for the billion plus people who live there, many of whom are clearly delighted to have such a massive influx of tourists.

Back to the rights issue - as part of their agreement with the IOC, RTE are obliged to do whatever they can to make sure that none of their Olympics coverage gets online - otherwise they could lose the broadcast rights to the 2012 Olympics in London - and despite the fact that you don't think many people are interested - the Olympics generate significant advertising revenue for the various broadcasters that carry the games (NBC have already made over a billion dollars in advertising from the Games). Despite RTE's public service status, they still rely on advertising revenue (whether they should or not is another day's debate!), and an event as significant as the Olympics always gives their coffers a nice little boost (especially in these gloomy economic times).

I can assure you that RTE have heard of both editing and pause buttons. Could they have done things differently and maybe only killed the online feed when they were going to Olympics content? Possibly, although it would have been a logistical nightmare. I would suggest emailling the IOC and NBC with your complaints. There's not really a lot that RTE and the BCI can do given the terms of the broadcast agreement RTE signed with the IOC.

Also, on a final point - Radio Five Live is not a sports service. It's a rolling news and sports service. Granted, they are probably doing quite a lot of sport at the moment (similar to RTE), but their normal schedule is one of news, sport, phone ins and opinion....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its a croc

Because the restriction is not just limited to highlights of the Games, but it expands to any footage filmed within the 'accredited' area or interviews conducted within the 'accredited' area. For instance, if Pat Kenny was to interview an Irish person via a mobile phone and they happened to be in an official Olympic car, we cannot play that interview outside of Ireland.

Realistically, this means we need to block all live streams, radio and television, because we cannot monitor all of the streams 24 hours.

Question is will anybody else be monitoring this and objecting to Pat Kenny interviewing an Irish athlete live?

other stories of the censorous IOC
    http://www.contentagenda.com/articleXml/LN835785301.html?industryid=45174

Nations airing the Opening Ceremony live

* Australia (something I personally confirmed by calling 1800 777 777 and speaking to Matt on Saturday Afternoon)
    * New Zealand
    * United Kingdom
    * Spain
    * Canada
    * México
    * Chile
    * Brazil
    * Portugal
    * Colombia
    * Venezuela
    * Perú
    * Argentina
    * All of Europe (Eurosport)
    * China
    * Japan
    * South Korea
    * Russia
    * South Africa
    * Egypt
    * Israel
    * United Arab Emirates

Nations NOT airing the Opening Ceremony live

* United States of America

becuase they decided to show it later that evening and becuase of their exclusive deal nobody else in the entire US could even show a snippet of it.

heres an article on it apparently it's all NBC fault
    The official explanation? That's the way the International Olympic Committee wants it, and it's made the blocking of access part of the Irish broadcaster's contract for covering the Olympics.

And why would the IOC care, you ask?

According to RTE's Web site, the European Broadcasting Union's pointing the finger at our very own NBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

As already pointed out, this issue is due to the IOC and NBC's broadcast agreement. RTÉ are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and it's not fair to expect them to spend 24hrs a day checking and editing material so it doesn't contain Olympic coverage.

Don't get me wrong, it's a major PITA, and the first I learned of it was when I tuned in on Sunday to listen to the GAA. Perhaps they could've solely broadcast the GAA coverage, but then at half-time no doubt the Olympics would've received some coverage, so it's a no-win situation.

On the subject of NBC - it's a joke that the IOC are selling off the rights and caving to the demands of the network. Obviously television has a big part to play in the popularity of sport these days, and fixtures are set in discussion with the television stations to ensure maximum coverage. That doesn't justify NBC demanding that they get to schedule Phelps' finals so they suit US primetime before they forked out US$3.55 billion for the US media rights. His fourth final is due to start shortly here (just after 10pm ET), which is 10am in Beijing, and I imagine they also fixed the women's gymnastics final (basically a shootout between the US and China for gold) for primetime tonight.

I appreciate the business of television rights but surely the governing body have to retain the overall decision to schedule events to suit the athletes, and not pander to the commercial interests of a corporation on the far side of the world. I'm surprised the US networks didn't ask the R&A and PGA to postpone the golf majors this summer as Tiger was laid up with a bad knee :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Thanks for all the kind comments. I look forward to joining the debates

I didn’t realise that the more I post the better I get, but I will work on it. Whether I have 3 or 3,333 does not make my point of view less valid.

I am not a racist. If anybody calls me that I will sue. Onlyone vrs Monk is fine by me.

I think the Olympics are obscene for reasons of wasteful expenditure, which have caused recessions and hardship, and very few benefits to the host people for the last 40 years. They pander to a tiny elite, who participate in small obscure sports. They have little interest for the vast bulk of people, and in particular RTE Radio One listeners.

I will have the same opinion when they come to London, or France.

I do not think that the Olympics should allow themselves to be used by the totalitarian fascistic/communist state of the PRC to promote themselves. More Importantly I don’t think that RTE should censure themselves to please the PRC.

BBC radio 5 is off line as well, but it’s a sports channel, so not syrprised. The rest are available.

I note RTEs FAQ. Nobody made them sign the deal, and BTW the phone number of the OCI does not work, and there is no contact information on the RTE website, for RTE.

Has RTE never heard of editing and the pause button? Are they that technically behind?. Do they care?

I have lodged complaints with RTE, the BCI, My TD and a few others. Interesting point is that the EU is the hardest to find an address for.

The Onlyone

i couldn't disagree with you more if i tried, but i'm not going to outline my arguments here. i will, however, give you some credit on one point onlyone - your name. It's apt because you're the only one throwing such a hissy fit over quite a minor issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

There's an article in today's Irish Times regarding the issue.
    THE IRISH diaspora has been cut off from accessing live broadcasts through the RTÉ website for the duration of the Olympic Games in Beijing due to the restrictive terms of its contract with the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

An explanatory note briefly published on the RTÉ website has laid the blame at the door of US broadcaster NBC, which paid $894 million for the exclusive rights to the Beijing Games. The note accused the US broadcaster of "pure greed and hubris".

It also compared the restrictions on internet broadcasting of Olympic content to the censorship of websites by the Chinese authorities.

However, an RTÉ spokeswomen said last night that the article was an "opinion piece" which had appeared "in error" and did not reflect the views of the broadcaster.

The contract that the IOC negotiated with the European Broadcasting Unit (EBU), which represents public service broadcasters in 56 European countries including RTÉ, stipulates that webcasts should only be available in each broadcaster's home country.

An updated notice on the frequently-asked-questions section on RTÉ's Olympics website says the restrictions apply not just to coverage of sporting events but any audio or video from the "accredited" area of the Olympics.

"For instance, if Pat Kenny was to interview an Irish person via a mobile phone and they happened to be in an official Olympic car, we cannot play that interview outside Ireland," RTÉ says on the website.

"Realistically, this means we need to block all live streams, radio and television, because we cannot monitor all of the streams 24 hours."

News and other content that has been cleared as being "Olympics-free" is being made available on demand, some hours after it is broadcast.

NBC has been actively shutting down unofficial websites broadcasting the Olympics as it fears it will eat into viewership of its television coverage. German broadcaster ARD was also censored for not geographically restricting its online coverage of last Friday's opening ceremony.

While the BBC is subject to the same contract, it has been able to continue providing a service to overseas users, blocking only specific Olympic-related content.

Under the Broadcasting (Amendment) Act 2007, RTÉ has a statutory obligation to make television and radio services available to Irish communities overseas as far as it considers that to be "reasonably practicable".

The State broadcaster has published contact details on its site for both the Beijing committee and the IOC should people wish to complain.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0814/1218477550059.html

First I seem to have annoyed a few people here, including the Mods. I didn’t mean to and I apologise. I don’t wish to do that or detract from what I consider a major issue.

Before I get into the details I would make a few comments on the above posts.

I don’t mind been the onlyone, but as I set out below I suspect I am not the onlyone.

I appreciate Bondvillain’s comments which I found amusing, and yes it would make a good kung fu movie

To Fatgav, who is entitled to his opinion, and for many other people, this is a minor issue, but to others, mainly but not exclusively, the Irish, abroad, it is a major issue. The Irish Times report linked above reflects some of the unease that is felt about these matters in RTE, and abroad. I suspect that this is the last time that RTE will allow such a restrictive rights contract

In 2004 net streaming was only starting and it would have had little impact. Listening to the radio over the net is now huge, and may become the preferred delivery method for Radio in a few years

I would object, to France doing the same, but as it is democratic, I could not lay the same charge that the IOC are matching their host’s practices on the net, and I suspect the French would not allow what the NBC/PRC/IOC have demanded either

In reply to Juneval’s point, yes it’s a PITA, but every show has a production team, including an editor, a producer, and a presenter, and gang loads of others. Of course they can edit the show for streaming, podcasting or whatever. If I got on to Joe Duffy and libelled someone, they will edit it out the potential libel before posting it.

I don’t have problem with the TV guys having some influence on the schedules, if you pay USD 3,550,000,000 then I suppose they might have a voice. If they only made a billion on their ads, as reported – I would sell my shares in NBC. (GE80%/Vivedia20%

Back to the Main Issue

There are nearly as many Irish born people living abroad today, as live on the island of Ireland. They are your brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I don’t live abroad. I just travel to make a living, like many other Irish people

RTE has cut off all broadcasting. I can’t listen to Farm Week, Chelie house, Joe Duffy, O’Brien on Song, or The Business. I’m not sure what they have to do with the Olympics.

The majority of their archives (actually all – I haven’t been able to access anything on RTE, notwithstanding what RTE have posted) are also turned off. Technically it is not demanding to edit a show to exclude the protected rights. I would therefore accuse RTE of taking the easy way out, in breach of their legal obligations. The number quoted by the RTE website is engaged – permanently. I have also emailed the IOC, NBC and the Beijing Organising Committee, with not a reply. The IOC despite their vast income could not be bothered to answer the phone, or answer their emails.

With regards to RTEs explanation, there was no obligation on RTE to accept the terms of the deal. I can’t see TV3, been able to meet the demands of Olympic broadcasting, other than feeds from their previous owners (ITV?). Not a situation I imagine that the IOC, the Irish Olympic Council, the Irish Government, or the Irish public would accept, without an uproar that would might even be heard by the IOC ,whether the answer their phone or not. A small exemption to their non sports programme internet feeds in the agreement would have done. No big deal, - who listens to RTE abroad anyway

I am happily listening to other Irish Stations reporting from the Olympics. Heard the Irish vs. Cuba boxing live, not that I was interested, it was just on. I can listen to the BBC1-BBC4 radio, and hear reports direct from the Olympics. BBC 5 is blocked, so some one sees it as a sports channel

The most recent viewing figures available that I can find suggest that only 5.5m from the UK watched the opening ceremony ( big brother has done far better) from a population of 60.5m and 34m from the delayed broadcast in the USA , out of 304m. In both cases approximately 10% of the population watched the opening of the Olympics.

The most watched part of the Olympics is of course the opening ceremony, which has nothing to do with sports, and is usually quite artistic. Other than a few sports where a particular country has an interest, the viewing figures will fall to tiny percentages for the remainder of the Olympics.(eg Table Tennis in Ireland?- what will the stats be on that), rising again for the also non sporting artistic closing ceremony.

Africa shares the same time zones as Europe, and South America shares the same time zones as North America. Is anybody suggesting that the South Americans and Africans are any different in terms of their Olympic viewing patterns? If anything their figures will be less

India (pop 1.132bn) only has one sport, cricket, which while an Olympic sport, is not played at the Summer Olympics. Furthermore most Asians (and I do know Asia) could not care, in the main, about the Olympics, as they cannot compete, physically against the Caucasians and the Africans in many sports. I cannot quote the China figures as there would be issues with the truth of their stats, but I suspect it was high (842m watched, according to the PRC, which is the only figure can find, which I don’t believe, out of 1,331m estimated population, which is 68.8%) .I would suggest to try 100m, as the rest of the Chinese are too busy making a living. In India it was 27m out of a population of 1,132m.

In Kerry in the 1960s -100% of the available viewing public watched the Late Late show. Not surprising as they had no choice. There is a bit of the same going on here. If they say that 80% watched of the world population at some stage over the few weeks I would point out that 80% of the world’s population also watch TV. Over a three week period, if you happen to be in a room with the TV showing the Olympics, you will be counted, whether or not you wanted to watch, or where just passing through

I would suggest that the reported 4+ Billions watching the Olympics are utterly false. A lie repeated often enough becomes the perceived truth.

In short there is no way four billion watched the opening ceremony, and I would suggest 500-600 million might be right

Overall RTE devotes(and wastes) a huge amount of their time, great talent, and resources to sports coverage

As I am talking about radio I would point out that no sporting program on radio has made the top 10 on radio.

A good audience on RTE TV would be a million. That means that 3.4m are doing something else. Sports coverage is a minority taste, and to a large percentage of Irish Citizens, a waste of money. Blocking Irish citizens access to Irish news, for the sake of the Olympics, is in my mind not justified

On the broader subject of the Olympics hers is a list of the summer game sports:[

Diving Swimming Water polo Archery ,Athletics (track and field) ,Badminton ,Baseball ,Basketball Boxing Canoeing ,Cycling ,Equestrian ,Fencing,Field hockey,Football (soccer,Gymnastics ,Handball,Judo ,Modern Pentathlon,Rowing ,Sailing ,Shooting ,Softball ,Table tennis Taekwondo ,Tennis ,Triathlon ,Volleyball ,Weightlifting ,Wrestling,

These with the exception of perhaps Equestrian ,Boxing ,Sailing, Football (soccer), Basketball, and Tennis are very tiny minority sports in Ireland – with a possible in many instances, of active adult participants running at most to the low hundreds.

So let’s get real – Ireland grants approx 12m per annum to these Olympic sports per annum and the net result might be a bronze medal, That’s 48m over a four year cycle, in which less than 10% of the population bothers to watch. Is that value for money? Here is the result from Ireland’s taxpayers money – per RTE Website – Sunday 18/8 :

O'Rourke fails to deliver
    Carey disappoints in 400 metre hurdles
    O'Leary and Milne drop to 11th
    Peelo endures worst result so far
    Barnes through to quarter-finals
    Sutherland pummels his way into quarters
    Owens and Lawton miss out
    Ireland fourth in Lightweight Four B final
    Cuddihy off the pace in 400m heat
    Heffernan eighth in 20km Walk

Let’s take that 48m and put it the sports that Irish people participate in, and let the tiny elite and the Irish OC go figure it out for themselves. At least the GAA, IRFU and The FAI answer their phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Thank god there is OnlyOne!

In this Olympics so far and in the previous Olympics in Athens 3 of the top 10 in the Medals Table were Asian countries so I would suggest Asia (and you do know Asia) is indeed Interested.

India a country which you suggest has only one sport is sending a contingent of 56 athletes The athletics contingent is the largest, with 16 athletes.

On August 11, 2008, Abhinav Bindra won the gold medal in the men's 10m air rifle shooting event, news which was greeted with great joy in India.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,947 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"In 2004 net streaming was only starting"

Um. No. RTE have been streaming online since 1997. There were online simulcasts of other radio stations online a decade before 2004; and those of us who aren't Johnny-Come-Latelies to the the net would quite likely have been listening to radio online before 2004.

Folks, this forum is for the discussion of all things Radio. If you want to talk about our performance in d'Olympics, please use the sports forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement