Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian News <- Please Post Articles and Links

Options
  • 08-08-2008 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

From the HSI website...
    07/08/2008 FIVE Irish riders will make history this weekend when they represent the Association of Irish Riding Clubs at the British Riding Clubs Horse Trial Championships at Offchurch Bury, Warwickshire in England.
    It’s the first time for the Association to send a team abroad to compete at a horse trials championships.
    The team comprises John Melvin (Glenkeeran Prince), Catherine Geraghty (Tomard Bengy), Caroline Geoghegan (BB Henry Billingsley) and Mairead Holden (Lily Twohats). Castle Hill's Louise Duffy will compete as an individual on Assessed.
    The riders and horses departed Irish shores earlier today (Thursday) to compete in the intermediate championship at the three day event which gets underway on Friday morning with the dressage phase.

On Saturday, they’ll follow the long format with roads and tracks, steeplechase, roads and tracks and then the all important cross-country. The show jumping takes place on Sunday following a second vet inspection.
    Orla Holden, who left with the riders earlier as their Chef d’Equipe, said: “They’re really excited about the journey ahead but are ready for the challenges that await them at the British Riding Clubs Championships.”
    A.I.R.C. chairman Tony Ennis said earlier today, “We wish the riders the very best of luck this weekend as they enter uncharted territory. We’re very proud of them and hope the have an enjoyable and successful weekend.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

07/08/2008 IRELAND'S team who will attend the Junior Eventing European Championships at Thirlestane Castle, Scotland between August 14-17 has been announced as:

Darren Coady; Maylim Arch
    Poppy De Courcy Wheeler; Bantry Flipper
    Tim Dennehy; Decent Gamble
    Alex Donohue; Golden Orphan
    Valerie McMillan; Fonzarelli
    Ruth Robinson; Tamino 202

The riders depart for Scotland on Monday, August 11, while the horses leave Ireland on Sunday.

http://www.horsesportireland.ie/news/367

Please post all general Equestrian News here.

Just heard about it, my thoughts are with the rider's family and friends :(

Hartpury Statement
    Rider Fatality:

Secondary Statement issued by the Mitsubishi Motors Hartpury Horse Trials Event Organiser at 18.00

It is with the deepest regret that we announce that Miss Emma Jonathan suffered a fatal accident whilst competing at The Mitsubishi Motors Hartpury Horse Trials in Gloucestershire on Saturday 9th August 2008. Emma was aged 23, from Petersfield, Hampshire and was single.

Emma was riding El Nino, a nine-year-old mare. The incident occurred at Fence 19. There was a doctor in attendance at the time of the fall and a full paramedic team was present within moments of the accident. Emma was declared dead at 16.05.

Hartpury College, the organisers of The Mitsubishi Motors Hartpury Horse Trials, Mitsubishi Motors and all those associated with the event, would like to extend their deepest sympathy to Emma Jonathan’s family and friends.

We have no more information to release at this time.

Claire Shaw

http://www.horsesportireland.ie/news/371
    10/08/08 JESSICA Kurten made her visit to the Failte Ireland Dublin Horse Show more than worthwhile today (Sunday) when she scooped the 42,000 euro first prize in the Longines Grand Prix with Lady Georgina Forbes's mare 'Castle Forbes Libertina'.

With a classic double clear round the Antrim-born rider saw off Belgian challenger Patrick Spits, whose single time fault relegated him to second place and the runner-up prize of 29,000 euro.

A promising bid for the trophy by 37 year-old Irish rider Niall Talbot and 'Tequi D'I CH', who recorded the only other zero score in the penultimate round, came adrift when the combination left one pole on the ground to take fifth place overall.

Mayo-born Cameron Hanley finished in 11th place on 'Southwind VDL', while Capt. David O'Brien was 14th on the grey Cruising mare 'Mo Chroi'.

• Advertisement

Child stable after being impaled by metal spike at Dublin Horse Show

An eight-year-old girl is in a serious condition in hospital after being impaled by a metal spike at the Dublin Horse Show on Saturday.

The child is thought to have been visiting the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals stand when it collapsed.

A metal spike is thought to have pierced the child's head and neck.

She was taken to hospital where her condition is said to be stable.

No one was available to comment from the Dublin Horse Show which concluded yesterday.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/391/266696.html
    Georgie Davies' eventer Fachoudette, who represented Britain as an individual at last year's European Championships, has been retired due to recurring soundness problems.
    "She's been lame on and off since Aachen [in July]," said Georgie. "If she was a gelding we'd probably keep trying to get her sound, but as she's a mare it seems best for her to go at the top of her career and to start breeding from her."

The French-bred 15-year-old — who belongs to Georgie, Nicola Spence and Judy Gardner — already has an embryo transfer filly by Jaguar Mail, born this year.

Fachoudette's major achievements include finishing 10th at Badminton this year, third at Luhmuhlen in 2007 and winning Bramham's under-25 section and finishing 21st at Burghley in 2006.
    What a pity :(

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/266697.html

Rodrigo Pessoa joins list of Olympic dope test show jumpers

Charlotte White, H&H deputy news editor

1 September, 2008

Brazilian rider Roderigo Pessoa's horse Rufus has tested positive for a banned substances at the Olympic Games.

Rodrigo is the 5th show jumper and 6th rider competing at the Games to return a positive test.

The substance is a capsaicinoid, this time nonivamide. Nonivamide is prohibited because of its hypersensitising properties.

The sample was taken after the individual final on 23 August, in which the pairing finished fifth.

A second sample is due to be tested tomorrow (Tuesday, 2 August).

The International Equestrian Federation (FEI) has confirmed that this is the final sample to be tested from the Olympic Games.

Four Olympic show jumpers and one dressage rider are already scheduled to face the FEI disciplinary panel this week after second samples from all five horses proved positive for a prohibited substance.

The second samples of four show jumpers — Bernardo Alves of Brazil and Chupa Chup, German rider Christian Ahlmann and Cöster, Denis Lynch of Ireland and Lantinus and Norway's Tony Andre Hansen and Camiro — all tested positive for the prohibited chilli derivative, capsaicin.

And they are joined by American dressage rider Courtney King whose horse Mythilus tested positive for felbinac, a banned anti-inflamatory drug.

Hearings in the other cases will be held on 5, 6 and 7 September in Lausanne.

If the second test on Rufus' sample is also positive, Mr Pessoa will also be invited to attend a hearing.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/391/266600.html
    BROCKENHURST Park Horse Trials (15 August) in Hampshire was axed for the second year running — and may not return.

The New Forest event was blighted by tragedy the last time it ran in August 2006 with the death of 28-year-old Irish eventer Sherelle Duke.

Last year, torrential rain caused the event to be cancelled. This year, a change of farming policy has led to sheep-grazing and hay-growing taking over the area.
    British Eventing southern regional director Robert Mackenzie said the event had not been cancelled because of Ms Duke's death.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/387/267373.html
    A judge who appeared to have been drinking while judging at the British Show Pony Society (BSPS) summer show in Lincolnshire has resigned.
    Experienced judge Peter Thompson, from Anglesey, was reported by spectators for appearing to be drunk and swearing at a competitor in the small breeds mountain and moorland class on Friday, 22 August at Arena UK.

A spectator, who didn't wish to be named, told H&H: "He was having to be held up. It was a public spectacle."

The same female spectator said Mr Thompson — who has been judging for over 25 years — swore loudly at a competitor.

Mr Thompson, 69, told H&H that the medication he takes since suffering a near-fatal accident reacted with some wine.

He said: "I only had two glasses. I'm in pain most of the time and I had extra pills that day. One and a half hours in the ring was too much for me."

BSPS summer show director Mike Hall removed Mr Thompson from the ring.

Mr Hall said: "The following morning he came back very humble and resigned."

BSPS chairman Alan Hall said he was sad about the incident.

"Peter Thompson is a very likeable person and has been a very good judge for us for years."
    The BSPS, National Pony Society and British Show Horse Association have rules on alcohol or drug use by judges.

• Advertisement

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/388/267397.html
    It was triple gold for Great Britain at the Paralympic Games in Hong Kong as the team won gold by a handsome margin. Lee Pearson (pictured right) and Anne Dunham won their individual grades and Sophie Christianson finished in the silver medal position behind Anne.
    The team, made up of Lee, Anne, and Sophie as well as grade III rider Simon Laurens, finished over 20 points ahead of the Germans. The German team included today's individual grade III gold medallist Hannelore Brenner riding Women of the World. Norway claimed the bronze. The medal ceremony will be held on Thursday night to close the equestrian events.

Lee Pearson's win in the individual grade 1b riding the inexperienced seven-year-old Gentleman brought his paralympic gold tally up to a remarkable total of 10 and he has a chance to add in Thursday's freestyle. "I am over the moon," said Lee who has achieved the feat riding three different horses.

Anne Dunham's ride Teddy has proved a real find. The welsh cob arrived through a colleague of Anne's daughter. "He has come on so much," she said, "and he loves to show off in front of an audience." For Anne, a veteran of four Paralympic Games, and a past team gold medallist, this was a first and well deserved individual title

Sophie had to sit and suffer after going into the lead with Lambrusco III as Anne was one of the last to go. "I thought we had a chance of winning but I am thrilled to get silver," she said.

Just Felicity Coulthard competes for the British squad tomorrow when the action centres on the grade II and IV freestyle championships, with the rest riding on Thursday when the remaining freestyle medals in the grade 1a, 1b and III's are decided.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/267379.html
    Anna Ross-Davies, best of the British dressage team at the 2007 European championships, has lost the ride on her top horse Liebling II.
    "Donald Mactaggart, the horse's owner, called me into a meeting on Thursday and told me Liebling was going to Carl Hester's yard to be sold," Anna told H&H. "I went home and someone from the yard called to say he was picked up that evening.

"My priority is, and has always been, Liebling and that he is alright. I'd always hoped he would retire in my back garden — I just love that horse.

"I would rather he stayed in Britain. I trained him for seven years so of course I miss him, I'll miss him terribly," said Anna.

British Dressage did not select Liebling for the Olympic team in Hong Kong last month, despite Anna scoring plus-70% internationally with the 11-year-old gelding.

The pair also handled the pressure on their championship debut at the Europeans in Turin, where they finished 10th and best of the British.

"I'm proud of what I achieved with him and just want the horse to be happy, whatever happens next," Anna added.
    What a pity :(

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/268332.html
    America has lost its Olympic team dressage 4th placing following the disqualification of Mythilus for a positive dope test.
    A random drug test on Mythilus carried out during the Games picked up traces of the prohibited substance Felbinac in the horse's system.

The horse's rider, Courtney King-Dye, claimed afterwards that Mythilus was contaminated while being treated for stress at the Hong Kong Jockey Club

But this afternoon, the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) announced that its disciplinary tribunal has disqualified Courtney. Her disqualification automatically loses America its fourth place in the Olympic team dressage competition.

In its ruling, the FEI disciplinary tribunal dismissed as "speculation" Courtney King-Dye's claims that her horse was contaminated while being treated at the Hong Kong Jockey Club.

But while it dismissed their claims as speculation, the FEI tribunal said it found the evidence of the rider and US dressage team vet "credible".

An FEI statement said: "The tribunal accepted [Courtney King-Dye] and US Equestrian Federation's arguments that they have done almost everything in their power to ensure no rule violation shall occur".

The disciplinary tribunal also weighed up the evidence that Felbinac, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), has therapeutic applications and is considered as a "doping substance".

As a consequence, the FEI has imposed a one-month suspension on King-Dye. This has been in place since the Olympic Games, and ended yesterday (21 September). It has also fined her and imposed costs.

The FEI added that it took into consideration "the hardship already caused to Courtney King-Dye, including the fact that the US dressage team has already lost its 4th place at the Olympic Games".

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/269042.html
    The attack happened between 8-11am on Wednesday, 24 September, in Godstone.

Rural affairs officer for Tandridge police, PC Nick Shrapel said: "This is a wanton act of animal cruelty and I am appealing to members of the equestrian and Godstone community to help us.

"It is particularly concerning as this incident comes only a few months after cigarette burns were inflicted on another horse in the area.

"I am urgently appealing to anyone with any information at all, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, to come forward."

This latest attack is in the same area as one four months ago, but police are not linking the two.
    On 1 June Lulu — a piebald mare — was attacked in South Godstone. She suffered facial wounds after having cigarettes put out on her.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I'd like to see them try and do it to my horse. He wouldn't be long putting his feet out on their faces.

Sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

It seems very lenient doesnt it. Anyway I presume they know more about the case than I do.

Isnt it the same ban that C O'C served, 3 months? I assume that they take into account the time since the games that he has being out of competition - what is it, 6 weeks or so??? If thats the case, then he may only have another 6-8 weeks to serve?
    Did you see that Rodrigo has got an injunction of some sort against his ban so as to allow him to compete at the global tour leg in brazil? as much as i like him as a rider, its a bit unsportsman like of him i think - a ban is a ban, he should respect that imo. But, again, not knowing the finer details, i suppose its easy for me to criticise him.

From the HSI Website... http://www.horsesportireland.ie/news/455
    FOLLOWING a board meeting yesterday afternoon (Thursday) Horse Sport Ireland has decided not to make a bid to host the World Equestrian Games in 2014.

Horse Sport Ireland Chairman Joe Walsh said that the decision was an acknowledgement of the changing fiscal climate and the need for Horse Sport Ireland to concentrate its resources on developing the sport.

Mr Walsh said that Horse Sport Ireland had a recent meeting with the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism Martin Cullen T.D. At the meeting an initial feasibility study that had been prepared for Horse Sport Ireland by Mazars Consulting was discussed. From the report it was clear that substantial Government and commercial funding would be required to bring the games to Ireland.

"We had a very open discussion with the Minister and while we all agreed that hosting these games would be of great benefit to Ireland we cannot ignore the economic realities," he said.

"As the Governing Body for the sport we have to be prudent and be absolutely sure that the games would be viable. With the global economic downturn the risk factors in taking on a project like this have increased significantly in recent months. We all know what happened in 1998 and we cannot risk a repeat of that." he said.

Mr. Walsh said he wanted to thank Dr. Pearse Lyons, Global President of Alltech, for his generous offer to sponsor the Games.

"As an Irishman Dr Lyons really wanted to bring the games to Ireland. His offer to be the title sponsor of the games was extremely generous and it is unfortunate that the timing just isn't right," he said.

Mr. Walsh explained that with the London Olympics in 2012 occurring just two years before the World Equestrian Games, Horse Sport Ireland’s resources would be stretched on this, and in implementing the actions set out in its draft strategic plan.

He said that he was confident that Ireland would bid for the World Equestrian Games at some stage in the future and he said that the work done in assessing the feasibility of a bid on this occasion would stand to us at that time.

• Advertisement

I had a feeling this was going to happen :( Such a shame :(

http://www.dressageireland.ie/news/news.php

Quote:
    The board of Dressage Ireland has decided with great regret to cancel the CDI3* at Cavan Equestrian Centre from 30th April to 3rd May 2009.

Unfortunately due to the global credit crunch and a deepening domestic recession in Ireland it proved impossible to secure the necessary sponsorship required to run the CDI3* this year.

However Dressage Ireland is delighted to confirm that the dressage festival will go ahead at Cavan Equestrian Centre from 1st to 3rd May 2009. Each year pony, junior and young rider teams from England, Scotland and Wales have travelled over to compete at the festival and we look forward to extending a warm Irish welcome to them once again in 2009. For the first time this year we have been awarded a 'Dressage Masters at Hickstead' qualifier. The top four riders in each class from novice level will qualify to compete at the 'Dressage Masters at Hickstead' final which will be held at the famous Hickstead show grounds in August. Dressage Ireland would like to acknowledge the support of Dane Rawlins the Director of Dressage at Hickstead in awarding the 'Dressage Masters at Hickstead' qualifier to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

THREE abandoned horses were found severely abused and mistreated at two different Northside sites last week.
    Two of the helpless horses were put down as a result of the horrific injuries they sustained while vets are battling tirelessly to keep the third horse, which was found in Castleknock, alive.
    Last Monday week the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (DSPCA) discovered a severely emaciated and seriously injured horse on Ratoath Road, Finglas.
    “One of his front legs had a massive infection and he was literally skin and bone,” said spokesperson Orla Aungier.
    “There was nothing we could do for him so we had to put the horse down.”
    The following day proved just as grim and “demoralising” for the workers as two more distressing cases of animal cruelty were discovered in Castleknock.
    “We got a report that a horse was entangled in fencing in a field in the River Road area,” Ms Aungier explained.
    “When we arrived at the scene we found a three-year-old mare who had become trapped with a severe injury to her eye and the bone in her back leg was exposed as a result of the fencing.
    “The fencing was neither safe nor adequate.”
    The vets at the DSPCA hope that they can save this horse although the prognosis is far from good.
    “It was touch and go as to whether we would have to put her down,” Ms Aungier explained.
    “Another frustrating thing is that while we were at the site in Castleknock, we spotted another horse in the field that had a broken leg.
    “It was an old injury that had gone untreated and it was only by sheer luck that we managed to spot him.”
    Sadly, that six-year-old horse was put to sleep to spare him any further suffering.
    “There are at least 35 or 40 more horses in that same area which are all at risk of the same fate,” Ms Aungier told Northside People.
    “These are horses that no one apparently owns and no one is responsible for them.
    “I understand that 40 horses were taken from the same site last year. We at the DSPCA are at our wits’ end. I can’t describe the suffering these horses have endured. As I speak I’m standing here in the yard of the DSPCA and there are a few dead horses that are just waiting to be collected.
    “It’s just totally demoralising to witness such animal cruelty and it’s about time that the resources are put in place to prevent such acts of cruelty.”
    Recently Northside People reported on a young foal that was found dumped in the Tolka River.
    The remains of the animal were discarded in the river close to the Botanic Gardens.
    It’s believed unscrupulous owners are abandoning horses and blaming the rising cost of feed and strict animal control laws aimed at preventing cruelty.

Found this in the Dublin People.

Advertisement