Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lil bonus for the McCain supporters.

Options

Comments

Ah shur they're pretty much doing this for a while no?..There are one or two, well, one in particular, members here, whos motives i have often questioned,,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, if you read the article which the comedy central blog links to, it says that it's not a new concept, such things are routinely done on radio/TV, and that such back-scratching is not exclusive to Republicans.

Business as usual, I guess.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually it is a bit different then normal. Astro-turfing is normally done on the QT. The article even says.

"The first, he says, is the lack of disclosure instructions to participants. To rise above AstroTurf -- a practice considered ethically dubious by many political operatives"

So McCain has taken it two steps further in not only making it public what they are up to but also awarding prizes for doing so.

Its like the Republican party don't care any more that people know they are astroturfing, for example Fox News being outed recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Obama has had his own Research and Rapid-Response Team in order to repel perceived attacks, for some time now. I believe David Axelrod, Obama’s chief strategist, controls it.

Here’s a link if interested:
    http://www.democrats.org/page/group/2008RapidResponse

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Obama has had his own Research and Rapid-Response Team in order to repel perceived attacks, for some time now. I believe David Axelrod, Obama’s chief strategist, controls it.

Not the same thing that I can see. It is not telling members to spam sites with pre-defined talking points for rewards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eltentwelve

Ergh. I mean, marketing's horrible already --- to add, well, you know, just the fate of the political future in blogger's hands? :mad:

Advertisement