Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

223 over barrel moderator which one?

Options
  • 08-08-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a CZ varmint in 223 and need a moderator for it.

I want an over the barrel type to keep the length down.
    I'm looking at the T4 but want to know what others are out there to fit.

My son has the T8 on his CZ 223 LUX but it makes the gun very long and front heavy when in use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

clivej wrote: »
    I'm getting a CZ varmint in 223 and need a moderator for it.

I want an over the barrel type to keep the length down.
    I'm looking at the T4 but want to know what others are out there to fit.

My son has the T8 on his CZ 223 LUX but it makes the gun very long and front heavy when in use.
    t4 is a good as you will get there is a cqb also very good in the for sale section

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmyzx

I have a T4 on my Ruger .223 and cannot fault it in any way. quietens it down a hell of a lot.icon14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

cola bottle works wonders just stick it over the top and a bit of gaff tape and its not restricted pick one up in Tescos

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

harly1516 wrote: »
    cola bottle works wonders just stick it over the top and a bit of gaff tape and its not restricted pick one up in Tescos

Well unfortunately there's no proper definition of "silencer" (as the law calls them) so it's impossible to know whether it would be "a device designed to reduce the sound produced by a firearm" or a "device capable of reducing the sound produced by a firearm". The restricted list actually does provide a definition and it does the latter. Hence, taping a coke bottle over a centrefire gun is not just a "silencer" but a restricted one to boot. Stupid, but that's the way the law is written.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

I've seen the "Ase Ultra" being used on a .223 and was very quiet also very compact.

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=1428

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

harly1516 wrote: »
    cola bottle works wonders just stick it over the top and a bit of gaff tape
    Just don't forget to sit down in the boat. Only specially trained marines can stand up in the boat when doing this :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'd hate to see the result of someone duct-taping anything solid over their rifle barrel and actually firing. At best, you'd look ridiculous.

And it doesn't work, even on a .22:

Neither do other similar myths like the "shove a potato on the end to silence it" one:

Sparks wrote: »
    Just don't forget to sit down in the boat. Only specially trained marines can stand up in the boat when doing this :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'd hate to see the result of someone duct-taping anything solid over their rifle barrel and actually firing. At best, you'd look ridiculous.

And it doesn't work, even on a .22:

Neither do other similar myths like the "shove a potato on the end to silence it" one:

dont try that at home folks ,he is no loss to the gen pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

For the ones that are a little slow that was ment to be a joke.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Just got my hands on the Predator Wildcat.
    Number of reasons why i like it over the T8s or most other models.
    It breaks down into 5 parts so its easier to clean
    it looks far better than any other mod on the market
    the T8s rust very easy
    the part that hugs the barell is good quality, heat resestant plastic so it dosnt scratch the barell and can be lathed out for a perfect fit.
    I herd it on my friends 223 and thiers no obvious difference in sound from both the T8 or the Wildcat but will know for sure when my rifle is threaded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

or you could try the over barrel stainless steel pes strippable,rust resistant

• Advertisement

.243 wrote: »
    or you could try the over barrel stainless steel pes strippable,rust resistant
    have a look at this months rifle shooter a head to head on mods the t8 and the jet z are the best interesting read

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I use an Ase Ultra on my T3 .223 nice piece of kit. Better proformance than my old T8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Thanks for the info lads

Those of you with strippable mods---
    is there much gunk from the powder and lead inside the mods when you take them apart????????

If not then the T4/8 would be OK I think

clivej wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads

Those of you with strippable mods---
    is there much gunk from the powder and lead inside the mods when you take them apart????????

If not then the T4/8 would be OK I think

clive for the .223 a t4,t8ar,ase ultra or a short p.e.s etc,(the t8ar is for the short carbine rifles) ,there is no point putting a big t8 on it as the baffle capacity is too big for the amount of powder burn in the cartridge,
    as the t4/t8 ase etc are all sealed you cant clean them also they are prone to rusting internally (if not looked after),
    the stainless pes and the wildcat are strippable but to clean them i just spray them with engine degreaser leave for a while and then use a bench grinder with a wire wheel and hey presto instant shine.
    i was glad in the end for buying a pes because when you clean the gunk out of it you know its still inside the sealed versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Hey .243 where did you get your pes?
    Cheers.

john greene in waterford,086-3354425,
    i got it powder coated matt black a cpl of months ago to take the stainless glare off it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

.243 wrote: »
    john greene in waterford,086-3354425,
    i got it powder coated matt black a cpl of months ago to take the stainless glare off it

John Greene in waterford is my man so. The son got his CZ Lux threaded and a T8 from John.

Advertisement