Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bundoran

• 08-08-2008 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post here :)
    I'm hoping to take the kids to Bundoran soon, but not having been there in years I don't know whether we would be better off just going for 2 or 3 days or taking a week. I've heard that it's wild expensive any truth in this?
    I'm taking 3 kids so if anyone could advise me on this I'd really appreciate it
    Maggie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi and welcome.

I have no idea as to how expensive it is but every seaside resort is the same. They are a bit of a rip of but then again they dont make much money for a large chunk of the year so you pay over the odds in the summer.

August is traditionally expensive but Donegal i general has a lot to offer and if you have a car you could go on a couple of day trips around the county. Only problem is that driving isnt a welcome thought for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 this1

hi thanks for the reply :)
    I do have a car but like you said the driving isn't a great thought for the boys, it will be bad enough even getting there lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Have to say in general Donegal would be cheaper than say Killarney. Bundoran has a lot of amusements and that takes some money every time.

Donegal Town is not too far and there are a few things there. Bundorans Water World is open too.

If the weather is good there are good beaches in Donegal and Sligo not too far away

thanks :) I'm going by google at the minute and just looking to see what there is I don't fancy anywhere out of Ireland far too much hassle and Bundoran is the name I keep hearing lol.
    The amusements I'm not a fan of and I don't fancy feeding machines all week to keep the kids occupied but looking at some of the sites it seems that Bundoran is mostly that?
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Lots of amusements, some fun enough I suppose. The reason it does so well is that it has these and the waterworld to keep kids happy if it rains. The town does some good family breaks from time to time and food can be ok if you price around. Seems to be alot of self catering there now and hotels are working to compete with that. Self catering might not be bad either, I read locally they are quiet in the county so there might be deals.

The beach isn't fantastic in Bundoran but as I say Sligo and Donegal aren't too far, great beaches at Strandhill, Rossnowlagh, Murvagh etc, within driving distance for most kids. Rossnowlagh is beside Ballyshannon only a few minutes away. Donegal also has a waterbus (Boat) that does a tour of the Bay.

• Advertisement

thank you so much, I appreciate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Foxykat

It's not that bad for children but it does depend on their ages. You've got an ice-rink here at the minute, a bowling alley, the cinema and waterworld. There's also the funfair which has rides for all ages, and there is also a free park beside waterworld with swings etc, so i would say it's not actually a bad place to go with children.
    Beach isn't great but atleast you don't have the worries of cars driving up and down.
    Shopping as with most places can be a little dear, but you've now got supervalu and lidls where you can get your shopping from at regular prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Maybe take a trip out to Killybegs? I was brought there when I was small and I was mesmerized by the trawling ships. Then again, anything big and with an engine usually interests me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Mmm The smell when you enter Killybegs?

I absolutely love Bundoran, I have many happy memories of it, it has changed a lot since I was wee, but thats a good thing - more for adults and kids to do. You could always find out the times of Feda O'Donnell coaches (as your not taking a car), he'll(not him personally) will take you as far as Galway if you want(you would'nt have much time there but it's a good run) or even to Sligo or go the other way to Donegal Town(great shopping and the castle to amuse the wee ones and a nice walk out to Donegal bay or take a boat out to see the seals(ok the one time we went out he pointed out the seals but no one could see them but him).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

I LOVE bundoran! ben goin there since i was a baby! in fact i might have been conceived there?? :rolleyes: anyway its a cool place. alot to do. the great northern hotel is lovely. great if u have kids and if u like golf. tis one of the best links courses in the country. leisure centre for the kids and gym too. theres entertainment everywher at night if ur lookin for it. very nice scenic walks. for the kids there would be :
    waterworld,
    funfair,
    ammunsements,
    playground,
    leisure centre
    beaches,
    horse riding
    kfc

and thats only in bundoran, rosnowlagh is always worth a visit with a great beach, i really recommend u go, there's no where in ireland i'd rather go!
    restaurants to go to: marlborogh house in bundoran and smugglers creek in rosnowlagh. make sure to book tho!
    hope this helps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've always found Bundoran to suffer from the "plague of the seaside town", rip-off prices and low standards ( food and service ).

Advertisement